The Dead Don't Die - Jim Jarmusch Zombie movie w/ Bill Murray, Adam Driver,

This is one of those movies that demands from the start that you get on board, and feels no pity and makes no effort for anyone who fails to do so. It deadpans meta jokes and bizzaro moments, it veers wildly from expectations and then plays right into them. It hammers at the grotesque and lets comedy pass right on by. It hits with a deadly seriousness but also makes the severe farcical. It's slow in pacing and in dialogue, and only occasionally makes room for wit.

For such bewildering oddity, you likely couldn't do better than the cast assembled here. The sheer weight of the assembled talent makes the purposeful "waste" of it feel almost insulting. Still, this is a film that insists on it's incenserity, and to be aggrieved by such trolling is kind of the point.

There are pleasures to be had here, and for much of the film I was on the right wavelength to appreciate them, but I think for most, this will be as story that doesn't end well.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

There are pleasures to be had here, and for much of the film I was on the right wavelength to appreciate them, but I think for most, this will be as story that doesn't end well.

I agree with your whole post. And this is the rub. You don't get to blatantly break the 4th wall in the last 10 minutes of your movie to come to a "resolution" when you haven't really done so before that.