A group of Christians attended a pride parade to apologize for how they've treated the LGBT community

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/02/health/christians-apologize-at-pride-parade-trnd/index.html?ofs=fbia

180702180845-02-christian-pride-apology-

Some of the signs had more personal sentiments.

One man's stated, "Can we hug you?"

According to parade-goer Kohlin Lallabban, many took the group up on the offer.

"It was so genuine and most of us got teary eyed when we saw them," Lallabban said.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

This is more my take on it: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2018/07/01/dont-get-suckered-in-by-these-christians-apologizing-at-a-pride-parade/

Until they're ready to come out and fully support equality, they can go fuck themselves. 

I'd want to ask the author of that piece how he or she would react if someone answered "yes" to the first two questions and "no" to the last two.  

3 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'd want to ask the author of that piece how he or she would react if someone answered "yes" to the first two questions and "no" to the last two.  

I think you can acknowledge the reality of a secular state allowing equal marriage, but still personally feel it's a sin.

It sounds stupid, which is one reason I quit religion altogether, but it's possible. That's probably what Hemant would say. I've read enough of his work.

28 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

Again it's a start, but if their intention is just to get sympathy for them being "marginalized" then saying "I'm sorry" really doesn't have any merit. 

I don't believe the intention is to get sympathy. 

They're Christians at a pride parade asking for forgiveness. Not only is asking forgiveness the Christian thing to do, so is attending to the marginalized of society--especially if Christians are the ones doing the marginalizing. But like you said, there has to be a difference in what comes next. I don't believe these people are going to push for Obergefel to be overturned. I don't believe they're going to try to curtail civil rights. What they will do is an open question and up to them. What they are doing is step one. 

And for Christians, even that is huge. CNut's article brings up that point too. Christians (including myself) need to go farther in tending to the marginalized. We need to be advocates of them and fight for them to be treated justly. 

9 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I don't believe the intention is to get sympathy. 

They're Christians at a pride parade asking for forgiveness. Not only is asking forgiveness the Christian thing to do, so is attending to the marginalized of society--especially if Christians are the ones doing the marginalizing. But like you said, there has to be a difference in what comes next. I don't believe these people are going to push for Obergefel to be overturned. I don't believe they're going to try to curtail civil rights. What they will do is an open question and up to them. What they are doing is step one.  

And for Christians, even that is huge. CNut's article brings up that point too. Christians (including myself) need to go farther in tending to the marginalized. We need to be advocates of them and fight for them to be treated justly. 

That's the thing honestly.  If they want to ask for forgiveness, those so-called apologetic Christians need to actually take the effort advocating for equal rights.  As an ex-Christian, it's so easy to ask for forgiveness, but earning it, and being both accountable and empathetic is another issue altogether.  If Christians want to support the LBTQA+ community, they need be more proactive, whether if it's politics, charity, fighting oppression, etc., than just saying "sorry we fucked up."

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

This is more my take on it: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2018/07/01/dont-get-suckered-in-by-these-christians-apologizing-at-a-pride-parade/

Until they're ready to come out and fully support equality, they can go fuck themselves. 

I think this is a great counterpoint and still important in the long run (loving the "sinner" and not the sin, letting people live their own life). I still think it's a huge step for a Christian to ask for forgiveness like this, and if I were to ask them those questions and they'd still want to overturn gay marriage legalization or forbid adoption, I'd likely politely tell them why it's important to love them by allowing them to be. I figure if they're taking the step to ask for forgiveness, which honestly doesn't happen enough and is why I'm thrilled to see this, then extending an olive branch and starting a dialogue with people potentially receptive to it is a good next step.

2 hours ago, johnny said:

So when are the whites in America going to do this? Lol 

Plenty of white people have apologized for the shittiness of their race and wholeheartedly contributed to the civil rights movement throughout the course of history, dating back to the days of slavery. 

More of us could contribute, but it's more than what these Christians are doing here. That's why I said to call me when they actually do more than this piddly shit.

20 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Plenty of white people have apologized for the shittiness of their race and wholeheartedly contributed to the civil rights movement throughout the course of history, dating back to the days of slavery. 

Obviously. I’m talking about this specific thing.