Facebook merging Messenger, Instagram, and Whatsapp message infrastructure

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/facebook-instagram-whatsapp-messenger-app-merger-download-a8746376.html?fbclid=IwAR2xf4h48Cw8FOnh8bDU36qYxh2RoOkgV13LuSRLvd-nmLPYXpjGAZkpsSc

This could be good, or bad. I love instagram for my photography business (riley.lewis.photo, like, comment, subscribe), but I don't want it tied to other crap. Messenger is actually decent, but I wish it wasn't tied to anything else. And will this mean you need a facebook account?

This is going to hit Whatsapp the hardest, I think (if it hurts functionality), as Whatsapp is the world's most-popular messenger program (basically standard in Europe and South America).

The messaging merger is a backtrack on Mr Zuckerberg's original stance that both Instagram and WhatsApp would operate autonomously from the social network. 

Also, all will be end-to-end encrypted. I wonder if that is in response to the revelation that Mueller got info from Roger Stone's Whatsapp conversations?

I've completely stopped using my Facebook these days, so not happy with this. I'm tired of Facebook being the default "don't want to use an email, then use us instead" application. I was looking at someone's picture the other day, and it immediately forced a sign in to Facebook (where I haven't signed on for a month now). Was not happy about that.