Update (05/15): Microsoft's multiplatform initiative has an internal codename - "Latitude"

20 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

you mean the vanity project that was announced with the One X reveal 5 years ago wont be a big seller? 

It's not so much a vanity project.  In fact, it's probably the exactly the type of project for which Gamepass is the perfect vehicle for exposure/distribution.

The problem is that the same could be said for Hi-Fi Rush.

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's not so much a vanity project.  In fact, it's probably the exactly the type of project for which Gamepass is the perfect vehicle for exposure/distribution.

The problem is that the same could be said for Hi-Fi Rush.

You say that, but people will easily blow through all 8 hours of it within a month.

Sea of Thieves strikes me more as the type of game best suited for Games Pass.

35 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

You say that, but people will easily blow through all 8 hours of it within a month.

That's precisely the reason why I believe that such a project would (theoretically) be ideal for Gamepass!

These types of "smaller" Gamepass-oriented projects should be relatively low-cost/low-risk and there'd be an adequate studio structure in place that could support the development and deployment of these projects at a pretty decent clip.

The problem for Ninja Theory is that Hellblade II probably doesn't fit that "relatively low-cost/low-risk" criteria at all.

36 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's precisely the reason why I believe that such a project would be ideal for Gamepass!

Theoretically, these types of "smaller" Gamepass-oriented projects would be relatively low-cost/low-risk and there'd be an adequate studio structure in place that could support the development and deployment of these projects at a pretty decent clip.

The problem for Ninja Theory is that Hellblade II probably doesn't fit that "relatively low-cost/low-risk" criteria at all.

They're selling the game for $50.  A Games Pass monthly 'rental' for it is $10-11.

The risk Microsoft runs, as with other shorter projects, is people not sticking around after finishing it.  That's even a problem with longer games too, but at least people will be subscribed for longer.

It's likely cheaper to pay off indies for shorter projects than make their own Pentiments and the like.

• Halal 1

New Jason Schreier article just published:

Microsoft’s Xbox Is Planning More Cuts After Studio Closings

- Xbox still isn't done cutting costs, sent voluntary buyout offers to some Zenimax staff
- Why were Arkane Austin and Tango Gameworks closed? Bad timing, perhaps
- Activision purchase has ramped up scrutiny on Xbox

Who among us could've foreseen that a $70 billion acquisition would've turned the literal "Eye of Sauron" upon the Xbox business unit?!?

• Sad 3
  • True 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update (05/08): "Xbox Is Planning More Cuts After Studio Closings" (Jason Schreier/Bloomberg)

GamePass is making less and less sense now, and its the heart of Xbox. I'm not seeing the point of MS sticking with hardware and GamePass doesn't seem sustainable, so 3rd party publisher? 

• True 1

During a town hall with ZeniMax staff on Wednesday morning, Xbox president Matt Booty praised Hi-Fi Rush but did not specify why the company had shut down the development studio behind it, according to three people who were in attendance.

Speaking about the closures more broadly, Booty said that the company's studios had been spread too thin — like "peanut butter on bread" — and that leaders across the division had felt understaffed. They decided to close these studios to free up resources elsewhere, he said.

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

GamePass is making less and less sense now, and its the heart of Xbox. I'm not seeing the point of MS sticking with hardware and GamePass doesn't seem sustainable, so 3rd party publisher? 

I'd be completely fine with that. 

Just now, best3444 said:

I'd be completely fine with that. 

At this point, why wouldn't they? Most of the the IPs that put Xbox on the map have failed to hold the public's interest in recent generations. If Xbox was backed by any other company than MS, they would have closed up shop by now. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

Before its closure, Arkane had been looking to return to its roots by pitching a new single-player "immersive sim" game, such as a new entry in the Dishonored series, according to the people familiar.

Tango was in the process of pitching a sequel to Hi-Fi Rush, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing nonpublic information.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Before its closure, Arkane had been looking to return to its roots by pitching a new single-player "immersive sim" game, such as a new entry in the Dishonored series, according to the people familiar.

GOD. FUCKING. DAMNIT 

Animated GIF

• Hugs 2

Both Tango and Arkane released games last year and were looking to hire additional staff as they pitched new projects, which Booty and Braff suggested was the main factor behind their closures.

You want to hire?  How about YOU ALL FIRED! :devil:

• True 1

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Xbox employees are bracing for what follows more layoffs.

Inside Xbox, there’s now uncertainty about what the future holds and questions over Microsoft’s gaming strategy. While Microsoft is looking toward a more PC-like future for its Xbox console, the company continues to battle a slowdown in Game Pass subscribers, lackluster Xbox sales, and game launch delays.

Microsoft has also had internal debates about whether to put new releases of Call of Duty into Game Pass. I understand this is a debate that has been ongoing internally for quite some time, with concerns from some that the revenue that Call of Duty typically generates for Activision Blizzard will be undermined by Game Pass.

I’m told that Microsoft has also considered increasing the price of Game Pass Ultimate again. These are only considerations, so a final decision could mean we still see a future Call of Duty release appear in most versions of Game Pass. The debate internally reflects the fact Microsoft’s Xbox strategy has shifted from just delivering its games exclusively into Game Pass to considering bringing more Xbox games to multiple platforms.

Xbox employees are now bracing for what’s next, as it seems unlikely that we’ve seen the last of Microsoft’s gaming layoffs and cutbacks. There are whispers among employees that core Xbox Game Studios are set for cutbacks next. Last month, Microsoft reported that Xbox hardware revenue was down by 31 percent year over year and an obvious admission that this was “driven by lower volume of consoles sold.” Last year, Microsoft reported a 30 percent drop in Xbox hardware revenue, blaming “increased console supply” from the prior year in 2022. Sony PS5 sales have also slowed, but not like Microsoft’s.

5 minutes ago, legend said:

MS going third party would not be healthy for the competitive market.

Maybe they should just fire management and stop sucking.

I don't disagree at all, but I bet the Shareholders don't care. [insert pic of shareholder poking Xbox with stick] "Why doesn't it DO anything?"

2 hours ago, legend said:

Wrong.

For every "agile" project I've been on I've found no pm seems to know what is going on with anything. I always end up making my own waterfall schedule for my team and getting things done while they talk philosophy

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I don't disagree at all, but I bet the Shareholders don't care. [insert pic of shareholder poking Xbox with stick] "Why doesn't it DO anything?"

I have no doubt the major shareholders are myopic fucking morons like they usually are.

• True 1

Jill Braff, head of ZeniMax studios, said in the town hall that she hoped the reorganization would allow the division, which also develops Fallout and Doom, to put more focus on fewer projects. "It's hard to support nine studios all across the world with a lean central team with an ever-growing plate of things to do," she said, according to audio of the meeting reviewed by Bloomberg.

"I think we were about to topple over," she added.

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

For every "agile" project I've been on I've found no pm seems to know what is going on with anything. I always end up making my own waterfall schedule for my team and getting things done while they talk philosophy

Maybe you just work with shitty people? :p 

• True 1

Also stand-ups are fucking bs. If you're a leader you should know how everything is going without a daily talk meeting. Interrupting every morning during the most productive hours so they can not remember or listen to what you said.

21 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

company's studios had been spread too thin — like "peanut butter on bread" — and that leaders across the division had felt understaffed. They decided to close these studios to free up resources elsewhere, he said.

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read

In a town hall this morning, Xbox president Matt Booty and ZeniMax head of studios Jill Braff said the division had been spread too thin and suggested that Arkane and Tango were shuttered in part because they were pitching new games that were years away

:doh:

What industry do they think they’re in?

13 minutes ago, legend said:

The Xbox and Xbox 360 were good consoles that created value. They need to go back to that kind of culture and stop trying to buy their way into relevance.

You mean, make a game system about games? Like, Nintendo?

• True 1

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Jill Braff, head of ZeniMax studios, said in the town hall that she hoped the reorganization would allow the division, which also develops Fallout and Doom, to put more focus on fewer projects. "It's hard to support nine studios all across the world with a lean central team with an ever-growing plate of things to do," she said, according to audio of the meeting reviewed by Bloomberg.

"I think we were about to topple over," she added.

They're admitting THEY are incapable of managing so many projects.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

These people don't think ahead. AGILE!

Lol. It feels like everything Microsoft touches turns to shit. I could see COD dying sooner than later, mostly because it feels like people want to see them fail.

• Halal 1