Alexei Navalny, Russian opposition leader, dies in prison

Navalny was very much a complex individual as even though he opposed Putin, he also held very strong Russian ethnonationalist beliefs, including at one point questioning whether Ukraine should exist as an independent entity.

A Russia run by him might not have been that significantly different in terms of actual policy than the one run by the Kremlin's current occupant.

• True 1
  • Halal 2

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's not a stretch for me to say that on issues involving Russia's religious/ethnic minorities, Navalny's views were even worse than Putin's.

I always just assumed that Putin has no actual personal views aside from the all consuming focus of increasing Russia's rising global might and influence, with him at the helm of it all, of course.  

2 hours ago, ort said:

I wonder if Tucker Carlson will have anything to say about this while he's on his Russia Good / America Bad international tour...

He said on one of his little talks when asked why he didn't press Putin on the assassinations that "Leaders kill people".

If Rachel Maddow went around making videos with the theme of "look at how much better Russia is than America" I think the entire right wing media sphere would lose their minds...

I'm glad that very few people seem to be paying attention to what Tucker is doing... it's really pretty gross...

He doing things like making videos in Russian grocery stores pontificating on how much cheaper everything is over there... he's got a whole series of em...

I had to check FoxNews on the other Trump news of the day, and see how they are covering it. Anyways I went scrolling the front page and no where do they mention Navalny’s death. Like for fuck’s sakes grow some balls as it almost seems like Trump doesn’t want this out to Fox’s people. 

On 2/16/2024 at 7:00 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Navalny was very much a complex individual as even though he opposed Putin, he also held very strong Russian ethnonationalist beliefs, including at one point questioning whether Ukraine should exist as an independent entity.

A Russia run by him might not have been that significantly different in terms of actual policy than the one run by the Kremlin's current occupant.

No but loosing pandora's box is example enough.