Jfc. My parents are complete idiots!

best3444

I was downstairs in my room as my dad is on the phone with some Indian guy forcing my dad to give remote access and have my dad pay $550 for a subscription. Instead of grabbing me for help they went along with the entire fucking thing. I walked upstairs and hear what's going on and saw this fucker controlling the mouse. 

So now they are on the phone with the bank trying to reverse the charge.

I completely lost it just now and basically screamed at them telling them they should have gotten me RIGHT away when they saw this bullshit charge. 

/rant

• Sad 1

I once arrived to a customers house, a husband and wife probably 75-80 years old. The lady answered the door crying because she had just given a scammer all her info. Social security, bank account info, etc… The husband had walked in on the conversation and slammed the phone down. Then I’m knocking on the door a minute later. Felt pretty bad for her.

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
WWW.MICROSOFT.COM

Learn how to defend yourself from tech support scams. Protect your personal, financial, and sensitive information from IT scams pretending to be legitimate.

Ok, so basically the steps to fixing this I'm currently doing. I need to breath for a second.

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

My dad said something similar to me once. I wasn't there to see what happened. He just said he went to a website and someone gave him a phone call or something. But I don't think anyone took over.

Anyway, I have no advice for this. Maybe contact the bank and make sure they stop the payment or whatever.

Yea, they contacted the bank and are in the process of reversing the charge. I don't think I personally can do anything else. I had to uninstall the program that gave this creep remote access to the computer. No viruses were detected so I thi k its ok...

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I know with my parents the roles were reversed. They became the children and I was the parent. 

It's definitely turned into that to some degree. I feel badly how I reacted now because my dad is really upset. I'm trying to let him know everything is going to be ok lol. My mom was so stressed she took off in the SUV haha. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It's definitely turned into that to some degree. I feel badly how I reacted now because my dad is really upset. I'm trying to let him know everything is going to be ok lol. My mom was so stressed she took off in the SUV haha. 

I’m curious. What was the scam that they thought giving some random dude access to their computer was a good idea. 

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’m curious. What was the scam that they thought giving some random dude access to their computer was a good idea. 

It was for "renewing" virus protection for $550. I finally got to see the initial email that started all this. It looked so fuckin fake but my dad fell for it and called the number provided. Then my dad did step by step instructions in allowing the fucker to remote in. Then they paid the money before I found out about any of it. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

If you want to be completely sure that nothing is still lingering you can do a full reset to essentially format everything back to day1. But you will want to back up anything important to an external drive first.

I'd love for you to witness this "computer" in action. It's absolutely so slow in every way possible. For me to do a virus scan that normally takes 15 minutes took over an hour. I'm basically not touching that thing anymore. It should be ok. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I have to fix my Dads girlfriends mom’s computer sometime this week because she claims she is locked out of it so I’m pretty sure I’m about to witness it!

It must drive you crazy especially with your advanced knowledge that is above and beyond the average person. I'm just adequately informed on the basics especially since I haven't owned a PC in over 10 years. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I'm checking for viruses now. Any of you guy's recommend anything I should do?

I'm paranoid about this sort of thing.  Were it me I'd be backing up documents and pictures to an external drive then nuking/reformatting the whole thing and reinstalling the OS from scratch.  All while off the network of course.

40 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea, they contacted the bank and are in the process of reversing the charge. I don't think I personally can do anything else. I had to uninstall the program that gave this creep remote access to the computer. No viruses were detected so I thi k its ok...

Luckily your internet is so slow it probably allowed you to get there in time before any more damage was done. :p

• Haha 2

Just now, Slug said:

I'm paranoid about this sort of thing.  Were it me I'd be backing up documents and pictures to an external drive then nuking/reformatting the whole thing and reinstalling the OS from scratch.  All while off the network of course.

The thing is, this computer has absolutely nothing on it. I mean not even one picture. They strictly use it for email and YouTube.

So the hacker couldn't have gotten anything of value when he was remotely in. I was more worried about a potential virus and then sick to my stomach that my poor parents paid $550 WITHOUT consulting me. I was really upset about that. 

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Luckily your internet is so slow it probably allowed you to get there in time before any more damage was done. :p

I got on the phone at the very end and chewed that fucker out. I claimed I was a lawyer and that serious consequences were going to happen. 😄 

He just hung up on me. 

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Damn your parents are lucky to have a lawyer right under their roof. :p

Haha I'm pretty stupid as all if you are aware. 

I do have a lawyer right now for my financial situation so I could have gotten him involved even though it's not his area. 

In your parents’ defense…

If you don’t know, this guy’s channel is dedicated to educating people on scammers. He’s worked with law enforcement to get scam centers shut down, etc. He does this for a living. Aaaaaaaaaaand he got scammed into giving up control of his channel before working with google to have it restored. There are certain parts of the population that are more vulnerable to this than others, but if someone whose career is based on taking down scammers can himself be scammed… nobody is really safe from this nonsense.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

In your parents’ defense…

If you don’t know, this guy’s channel is dedicated to educating people on scammers. He’s worked with law enforcement to get scam centers shut down, etc. He does this for a living. Aaaaaaaaaaand he got scammed into giving up control of his channel before working with google to have it restored. There are certain parts of the population that are more vulnerable to this than others, but if someone whose career is based on taking down scammers can himself be scammed… nobody is really safe from this nonsense.

But in this case you do have to also keep in mind his parents are Trump supporters in the year 2023

• Hype 1