No Rest For the Wicked | New ARPG Game From Moon Studios (Creator of Ori) - update (04/17): Steam Early Access PC system requirements released

Keyser_Soze

Played through the prologue and up to the first whisper/save site and messed a bit around there. It’s definitely an absolutely gorgeous game already. I wish other devs put the same effort into hdr implantation that this team already has in the initial early access release.

The combat feels crunchy and satisfying. It’s interesting how there are tools and so you’ll do things like fishing/digging here. It’s definitely more Souls than Diablo which a lot of people are now finding out.

Seems to run well enough already on my desktop and I see dlss support is coming soon so it’ll be even better then. Deck needs work. It looks good especially with the hdr but it can’t hold that 30fps well enough to really play it there yet. It does seem close and they were pretty up front about its result there though. This team got Ori2 running at 720p/60fps on Switch so when they say they are going to try to hit a 40fps lock on deck, I think they probably will. I wonder if they will pre render the cutscenes on performance mode to achieve that.

I could see getting into this but I do already hope as it evolves that you can lower the difficulty. Maybe people who thought it would be Diablo will complain and get them to do that. Once you get past the prologue it gets real hard real quick.

Also not a big fan of no refillable flask type item along with the central “souls” mechanic being that your equipment weakens until you can’t even equip it if you keep dying. This is the kind of mechanic that actively punishes you more the more you are struggling. I don’t think that’s the best design choice so hopefully they change that up a bit too.

Also, for some reason the visuals looked a bit blurry on deck. And yes, it's not a steady 30fps here. It really did remind me of a souls game combat wise and difficulty.

I was having a hard time finding out where to go next because the image just isn't good enough on the deck. Hard to explain. 

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Also, for some reason the visuals looked a bit blurry on deck. And yes, it's not a steady 30fps here. It really did remind me of a souls game combat wise and difficulty.

I was having a hard time finding out where to go next because the image just isn't good enough on the deck. Hard to explain. 

If you didn’t adjust anything it is dynamic res by default so it might be forcing it down super low. I turned it off and set internal to 70% which looks okay but the game seems to also have some memory leak or something where it bogs down the deck and you have to reset to get it back to normal. I don’t think it’s ready for it yet.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

If you didn’t adjust anything it is dynamic res by default so it might be forcing it down super low. I turned it off and set internal to 70% which looks okay but the game seems to also have some memory leak or something where it bogs down the deck and you have to reset to get it back to normal. I don’t think it’s ready for it yet.

Well when I went to mess with graphics settings it just started stuttering and then my deck shut off. So how long is early access and how much can be fixed? 

I liked what I played but it definitely is difficult because I died a lot. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Well when I went to mess with graphics settings it just started stuttering and then my deck shut off. So how long is early access and how much can be fixed? 

I liked what I played but it definitely is difficult because I died a lot. 

idk a year or two? Plenty can be fixed, it’s still super early. They are actually putting specific effort into getting it to run well on the deck so they’ll get it working well at some point I’m sure.

Just now, stepee said:

idk a year or two? Plenty can be fixed, it’s still super early. They are actually putting specific effort into getting it to run well on the deck so they’ll get it working well at some point I’m sure.

Holy shit I didn't know that. Yea, I saw that they are really making sure handheld is good so that's great. I can see the magic of Moon Studios in this already. I'll just have to be patient. 

One more question. I bought this for $35. What happens when the game is officially released? Do we just pay the difference of the full retail price?

Just now, best3444 said:

Holy shit I didn't know that. Yea, I saw that they are really making sure handheld is good so that's great. I can see the magic of Moon Studios in this already. I'll just have to be patient. 

One more question. I bought this for $35. What happens when the game is officially released? Do we just pay the difference of the full retail price?

No you just get the full game when it releases no matter what they price it at.

• Thanks 1

Played a little. Very pretty. I'm getting a ton of audio stutter almost non-stop which isn't great. Hopefully they fix that soon.

I'm unsure how I feel about the combat so far. The parry timing feels weird to me and at level one your stamina is so fucking low that it makes it kind of unfun with how quickly you just can't do shit.

I've also never liked punishment for death, so taking degradation costs doesn't feel great. I'm all for games where they're hard and you die a lot, but punishing the player for it has always struck me as just out-right bad game design. It's possible that as the game goes on this will be fairly innocuous with sufficient repair materials, but I think games shouldn't even bother with it -- just don't make it a design element. I much prefer games that are hard but *encourage* you to keep trying rather than punish you for failing. E.g., Rogue Legacy 2.

Also, I'm kind of lost? :p I guess I have to find a lever somewhere but the entire map is filled so I'm clearly overlooking some needle in a haystack. I don't think having quest markers for everything is great, but finding a missing item somewhere on the map isn't great either.

We'll see how this one develops.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea I couldn't parry for the life of me. I agree that stamina is too low at the start. 

I got it to land once or twice but then just abandoned using it because dodging (assuming you had stamina!) was just so much more reliable. I'm trying to decide why it feels off. The best I can come up with is the animation does a poor job illustrating when your actual parry frames are.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Yea I couldn't parry for the life of me. I agree that stamina is too low at the start. 

2 hours ago, legend said:

I got it to land once or twice but then just abandoned using it because dodging (assuming you had stamina!) was just so much more reliable. I'm trying to decide why it feels off. The best I can come up with is the animation does a poor job illustrating when your actual parry frames are.

While I was able to parry a few times, I never felt that it was a case of my execution of the mechanic properly as opposed to it being a case of sheer luck.  There probably needs to be some type of (very) brief visual and/or auditory cue that indicates when the parry opportunity window opens.

• Like 1
  • True 1

4 hours ago, stepee said:

Also not a big fan of no refillable flask type item along with the central “souls” mechanic being that your equipment weakens until you can’t even equip it if you keep dying. This is the kind of mechanic that actively punishes you more the more you are struggling. I don’t think that’s the best design choice so hopefully they change that up a bit too.

Danny Devito Smh GIF
Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

apparently patch 1 is out already

Today’s hotfix aims to improve Balance, Durability, Stamina, Loot, Stability, and immediate Quality of Life:

Balance Changes:

• Reduced Durability Damage Taken

• Reduced Repair Costs

• Increased Drop Rate on Repair Powders

• Reduced Stamina Costs

• Reduced Fall Damage Curve

• Reduced cost of Horseshoe Crab and food that includes Horseshoe Crab

• Balance update for the Cerim Crucible boss

• Changed Corpse-Smeared Blade starting from Tier 2 to Tier 1

Loot Changes:

• Introduced more Weapons into Fillmore's Pre-Sacrament Loot Table

• Reduced Drop Rate of Fallen Embers

Stability:

• Fixed crash that could occur when quitting out to the main menu Bug Fixes:

• Improved inventory navigation

• Fixed jump at Potion Seller Cave so you can’t miss the jump when executed correctly

• Blocked off an out of bounds area of Nameless Pass

• Removed lingering dev tools

• Thanks 1

There’s been a few patches and things are getting better. I’ve even beaten the first boss and made it to the major city hub! I think this game will be quite spectacular when it’s done.  

Performance seems better on deck and the new zoomed in view helps too. Getting closer there, but still had two really bad crashes where it crashed the entire unit so will be giving it more time before returning on there.

On my desktop actually seems like a pretty solid experience right now though it will be nice once that dlss gets in.

Overall things have gotten a little more fair and it’s easier to have a good time now.

• Like 1