Steam Deck OLED officially announced, update: "A beautiful display upgrade - and so much more" (Digital Foundry review)

Commissar SFLUFAN

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Not sure what reviews you are looking at but Intergrade has a higher meta than the original release with an 89 meta. Open Critic combines the ps5 version of FF7R with the ps4 version, then combines the pc version it seems with the ps5 Intergrade dlc itself or something so it’s confusing but still about the same score.

It’s the exact same game but Intergrade has better graphics and an extra piece of dlc staring Yuri. That’s it, it’s a better version. Square just names shit weird.

Thank you!

I only had RDR2 online before but it was on sale on Steam for the full version for $20 and I think I’ll have a hankering for a replay in the next year so I copped that. Tried it out on my pc again and it’s a near locked 120fps even with all the hidden unlockable stuff but as I mentioned before it doesn’t impress me too much compared to modern pc stuff, though it still looks fantastic.

But on oled deck, yeah, best ain’t lying that is one sweet ass looking handheld game hot damn. Its visual identity carries over great on the lower settings and it ran at 720p/30fps without any drops I noticed in St Denis even doing gun fights in the online mode. HDR works without any tricks besides you need to make sure you set it to full screen and it looks fantastic (i set the hdr to game mode from

cinematic). Pretty fun running around a beautiful western town causing chaos while watching tv.

Annnd Chiaki4deck has been updated with hdr! Also there are quality and performance improvements with the new renderer.

Loaded up Spider-man 2 and it is just wonderful. I use ethernet on both ends which helps a lot with the quality but I did test wifi and it was good enough still in my bedroom. Still not as good as moonlight but it’s gotten so much better it’s getting a lot closer to identical at least with ethernet.

And with hdr on the oled display it is a very very nice looking picture. Now I can swing around the best version of Spider-man while watching tv in bed. This will be so nice for all future ps5 games when they release.

Also speaking of moonlight, looks like the test builds are starting. He says he’s making a lot of progress and the way to do this is obviously known now with Chiaki accomplishing it, so I expect it soon.

• Shocked 1

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

Annnd Chiaki4deck has been updated with hdr! Also there are quality and performance improvements with the new renderer.

Loaded up Spider-man 2 and it is just wonderful. I use ethernet on both ends which helps a lot with the quality but I did test wifi and it was good enough still in my bedroom. Still not as good as moonlight but it’s gotten so much better it’s getting a lot closer to identical at least with ethernet.

And with hdr on the oled display it is a very very nice looking picture. Now I can swing around the best version of Spider-man while watching tv in bed. This will be so nice for all future ps5 games when they release.

Also speaking of moonlight, looks like the test builds are starting. He says he’s making a lot of progress and the way to do this is obviously known now with Chiaki accomplishing it, so I expect it soon.

Holy shit. Playing Spider-Man 2 on the deck!

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Holy shit. Playing Spider-Man 2 on the deck!

Hopefully it’ll work well for you when you change providers and get a better router! You could try it now but I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

Though, one thing to keep in mind is streaming from your ps5 (or anything local) goes over your lan, not your internet. So your internet speed actually does not affect how well it works, it all depends on the router itself and your environment. So it’s possible it would work okay now. 

GAMERANT.COM

Here's how Steam Deck users can play PS5 games remotely.

When it tells you to go to a url to get the psn login info you need, skip that part and do this from your phone instead:

PSN.FLIPSCREEN.GAMES

Find your PSN Account ID correctly encoded for use with Chiaki, PSPlay, and other PS4 and PS5 remote play apps.

That’ll get you the code you need to register without all that weird shit.

Every guide I see makes it seem more complicated than it is.

You essentially:

1) Go to desktop mode (steam button>power>switch to desktop)

2) Go to the “Discover” app (bottom left on the taskbar, looks like a blue bag with a globe)

3) Hit the “steam” button and the x button at the same time to bring up the keyboard and type Chiaki

4) Install “chiaki4deck” not regular “Chiaki

5) Open steam while still on desktop mode and click on the games menu on the top and go to “add a non steam game” and select chiaki4deck from the list

6)Go back to gaming mode

7) Make sure you’ve enabled remote play on your ps5 (system/remote play) and select link device

8) Open chiaki4deck on your deck and you should see a ps5 - double click on it using the touchscreen, sometimes it takes a couple tries so just keep tapping it until

9) A register screen should pop up, use the code provided by the flipscreen link I posted above and the pin number that should be on your screen after you hit link device on the ps5 

10) In Chiaki4deck click on the settings gear on the top right and then go to options and make sure you have the renderer set to Vulcan and codec to H265 HDR - I also recommend setting resolution at 720p and fps at 60

11) Double click on the ps5 now to connect

12) Profit

• Shocked 1

I’m using a comcast router and it works pretty good but it’s probably an older one - but definitely give it a shot when you get the new router it’s super cool.

I actually typed it all out on my phone but it took two minutes - I like to try to post steps these days for my weird stuff in case someone is ever googling for what to do and may come across it.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m using a comcast router and it works pretty good but it’s probably an older one - but definitely give it a shot when you get the new router it’s super cool.

I actually typed it all out on my phone but it took two minutes - I like to try to post steps these days for my weird stuff in case someone is ever googling for what to do and may come across it.

Damn. Much appreciated.  🙏 

I tried GTA5 on deck because I hadn’t tried it myself and @Biggie asked awhile back and it’s quite impressive on here! Ran at 60fps native 800p with the default settings but instead I bumped everything up and capped at 50fps and it looks fantastic. Especially at night, the city lights look freakin sweet on the oled. 

I then deleted it because it’s 110gb and there’s a lot of other stuff I want to take a look ay and I’m not planning on playing much GTA atm. But it’s cool it looks/runs so well here. I downloaded 16 games in place of that one lol.

But speaking of storage space! Nobody told me that sandisk has a 1.5tb micro sd card now! I ordered that and it should come early next week. I’ll use the one I’m using now to store some of those big games that I might want to play and won’t want to redownload and clear room for just to run around a little. So I’ll put GTA5 back, RDR2 back, Cyberpunk, MK1, stuff like that which I do want to mess around with sometimes but I’m not actively playing them enough to justify their huge footprint.

Pretty excited that exists now, I imagine that’ll be great in time for Switch 2 as well.

Moonlight with hdr support is working pretty well now :D

I downloaded the latest test build app image and besides slightly raised blacks, which they are working on so hopefully should be fixed soon, the image quality looks pretty  much ljust like playing on my G2. Crazy how good this display is. 

28 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@stepee You gonna check out Monster Hunter World? It has HDR. :thinking:

naaa, I tried it around release but couldn’t get into it. I’d like to enjoy them more than I do cuz dino’s so i always try but I’ll try again with the next one.

Also since I have Moonlight with hdr now I can play pretty much anything with hdr on it :P

Just now, best3444 said:

@stepee I played P5R from 1am to 5am. I was having an issue sleeping but this game is really good. My only gripe right now is that it's super easy. Did you say you will focus on this after Starfield?

YeHH that’s the plan. You can change the difficulty at any time so if it’s too easy you can just bump it up. It’ll get harder as it goes though, it starts out super easy but it’s like a 100+ hour game. 

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

YeHH that’s the plan. You can change the difficulty at any time so if it’s too easy you can just bump it up. It’ll get harder as it goes though, it starts out super easy but it’s like a 100+ hour game. 

Yea. That's my reason to just keep it at normal. 100 hours is intimidating but I haven't been this hooked in a story and characters in some time. It's perfect to play on the deck because when I play this it last for a long game session. I have my bed setup so nice to relax and get lost in this world. I really hope it keeps me interested because I keep reading just how special this game is. 

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Well, my old deck finally sold and so last night I ordered an OLED. This will be my first OLED anything so I'm excited to see it.

Also, I got a buttload of trading cards for buying it :lol:

CONGRATS SHE IS SO BEAUTIFUL

• Hugs 1

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well, my old deck finally sold and so last night I ordered an OLED. This will be my first OLED anything so I'm excited to see it.

Also, I got a buttload of trading cards for buying it :lol:

Hell yea! I never seen what the original deck looked like but the OLED is so freakin amazing. Congrats. 

Even emulation looks soooo much better on the oled (especially compared to the original deck display which wasn’t great for regular led) I love how classic Capcom arcade games look on it.

Since Ac6 is a game I know you have, definitely check that out to see the hdr in action. It’s blinding in the best way. Turn up the color saturation to 10 in game.

Husband put Mario Galaxy 2 on his Steam Deck and it looks gorgeous. He was in a mood to play it since he only played it for a handful of stars back when it released. Had it on WiiU VC but apparently there’s issues with Wii games on the U, something about dark spots popping up. Weird. 

I got further along in the game, but still never beat it, so I think I’m gonna have him put it on my Deck, too. 

Really pissed me off when Nintendo didn’t put Galaxy 2 on that Mario collection on Switch. 

• True 1

Seems like it’s going to be intel, very interesting! Whatever windows handheld I get next will just be a power sucker for higher end games and moonlight while indie, older, and emu games stay on deck for battery, so a beefy intel could be cool.

Though getting these things all set up with all the games I want downloaded and the storage space etc takes time so I’d like to wait until summer at least to pick one when there are a few new options to choose between. But if it’s hdr oled 120+ vrr and can run all the way up to Avatar at 40hz or something welllll

Gonna be a cool year for windows handhelds that’s for damn sure.

Intel is an interesting choice since it will suck on low wattage but maybe rip on high. I got to say, I am pretty happy how diverse all these handhelds have been so far. 

if it has OLED, VRR, Windows, and similar or better performance to Ally, it will be an easy buy for me.