Steam Deck OLED officially announced, update: "A beautiful display upgrade - and so much more" (Digital Foundry review)

Commissar SFLUFAN

Also @AbsolutSurgen is right - I wouldn’t recommend buying anything on Epic or GOG to play on deck unless you really have to. Installing Heroic is easy but then it gets real hit or miss when it comes to running games. You can run pretty much anything if you work at it but some stuff requires pretty advanced troubleshooting that most people just aren’t familiar with.

It’s worth setting up to see what free epic games work (like the current one works great!) but for most people it’s best to just use it for that and if a game doesn’t work forget about it, at least it was free.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, stepee said:

Okay I just needed to find the answer out and I realized I actually own Witcher 3 Complete on both GOG and on Steam. And yes, it has hdr on the Steam version and not on the GOG version. So if a game has hdr then you shouldn’t buy it on GOG/Epic, unless you don’t care about that. Maybe the Heroic people can figure that out or something some day. 

Obviously, I’m talking specifically in regards to deck.

@best3444 You need to buy Cyberpunk directly on Steam if you want hdr 

I did buy the cyberpunk bundle through steam. Thanks for the advice. It just won't be available until December 5th. 

@stepee Time to watch those sparks fly!

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

The legendary fighting franchise is back with over-the-top action, a wild cast of combatants, rocking reactive music, and C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERS!!! Choose your ultimate combatants each with fluid animations, unique combat tactics, and enthralling special attacks.

Also, I guess I should have clarified earlier why I suggested waiting for the F2P version on steam.

1. KI did not have a free version on steam until this update, I suggested you wait till now to download it just so you could see the pretty sparks and move on.

2. The Xbox or Windows Store version is still the preferred one to get because it has ranked player match cross play. The steam version cannot play ranked with the other versions. (I know this isn't an issue with you in particular because I doubt you'd play ranked matches)

Obviously you can play the full version of this on game pass if you didn't already own it. If you did own it you get the update for free.

If you didn't care about the above AND want to pay for it then I may have done you a disservice because the old version was on sale and since it's a free update if you had bought it before today you wouldn't have to pay $30. On top of that if you bought the old version you get the original games with the old version (KI1 and 2) - They removed these in the new version because the old games pushed this game to a mature rating and they wanted it to have a T rating.

Anyway just a long way of saying I want you to play it on your deck without paying for it to see the particle effects. :p

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

The legendary fighting franchise is back with over-the-top action, a wild cast of combatants, rocking reactive music, and C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERS!!! Choose your ultimate combatants each with fluid animations, unique combat tactics, and enthralling special attacks.

Also, I guess I should have clarified earlier why I suggested waiting for the F2P version on steam.

1. KI did not have a free version on steam until this update, I suggested you wait till now to download it just so you could see the pretty sparks and move on.

2. The Xbox or Windows Store version is still the preferred one to get because it has ranked player match cross play. The steam version cannot play ranked with the other versions. (I know this isn't an issue with you in particular because I doubt you'd play ranked matches)

Obviously you can play the full version of this on game pass if you didn't already own it. If you did own it you get the update for free.

If you didn't care about the above AND want to pay for it then I may have done you a disservice because the old version was on sale and since it's a free update if you had bought it before today you wouldn't have to pay $30. On top of that if you bought the old version you get the original games with the old version (KI1 and 2) - They removed these in the new version because the old games pushed this game to a mature rating and they wanted it to have a T rating.

Anyway just a long way of saying I want you to play it on your deck without paying for it to see the particle effects. :p

I do own it and with Ki1/2 but on the Windows store :P Not gamepass, bought it there before that was a thing. I probably will just try this for the sparks due to that! I’m sure this will go on sale sometime anyway if I change my mind.

Also I finally bought Samurai Shodown today so I got me some new fighting game already 

6 hours ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

Yep. I bought this and the two spiderman games last night on CDKeys. I just played 45 minutes of Days Gone and it runs really well on the Deck. 

Yeah I just did a couple more hours of this and it runs and looks so damn good on deck. Pound for pound it’s at least top 5 best looking I’ve seen on it - the combo of performance, tech, and image quality, and those insane hordes - it just suits the platform so well.

6 hours ago, stepee said:

Also @AbsolutSurgen is right - I wouldn’t recommend buying anything on Epic or GOG to play on deck unless you really have to. Installing Heroic is easy but then it gets real hit or miss when it comes to running games. You can run pretty much anything if you work at it but some stuff requires pretty advanced troubleshooting that most people just aren’t familiar with.

It’s worth setting up to see what free epic games work (like the current one works great!) but for most people it’s best to just use it for that and if a game doesn’t work forget about it, at least it was free.

I’d still recommend that @best3444creates an Epic Games Store account and starts claiming the free games they put on every Thursday (sometimes daily for special promotions) as, while it’s a lot of indies, there’s been a heck of a lot of free AA and AAA games given on there (all of the Batman Arkham games, the new Tomb Raider Trilogy, Shenmue 3, Tony Hawk 1 + 2 Remake, etc)

• True 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I’d still recommend that @best3444creates an Epic Games Store account and starts claiming the free games they put on every Thursday (sometimes daily for special promotions) as, while it’s a lot of indies, there’s been a heck of a lot of free AA and AAA games given on there (all of the Batman Arkham games, the new Tomb Raider Trilogy, Shenmue 3, etc)

Oh I agree, that’s what I meant in the last paragraph. I just also wanted to say that if one doesn’t work then he doesn’t need to worry about it, since it’s free. 

Just now, stepee said:

Oh I agree, that’s what I meant in the last paragraph. I just also wanted to say that if one doesn’t work then he doesn’t need to worry about it, since it’s free. 

Sometimes I look at my EGS Library when I’m about to buy a game elsewhere and I’m like “I already have this? When did I buy it? Oh, it was free” :p 

• True 2

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Sometimes I look at my EGS Library when I’m about to buy a game elsewhere and I’m like “I already have this? When did I buy it? Oh, it was free” :p 

Especially with Christmas coming up assuming they do the same thing as the last few years!

Ok so I loaded up a few of my Steam games to try out. Keep in mind a few of these are pretty old so they were never intended for mobile play.

Hunted: The Demon's Forge - ran perfectly. The game already had gamepad support, but I played this game for about an hour and a half and zero problems. Which is nice because it's not technically "verified" by Steam.

Risen - Only played this one for a few minutes. The controls seem to work fine; I didn't do much combat, but this one also had a gamepad mode, so it worked. The only problem is the text is tiny, and this is a conversation-heavy game. Might have to play this one on the desktop.

Yakuza 0 - I think this one was already verfied, but yeah it ran great. It looked amazing on the OLED as well, since the city is literally nothing but glowing signs and neon lights.

Warhammer 40k Space Marine - This one looked and ran amazing, despite not being verified. Controlled really well.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - It "worked" but it was designed for mouse and keyboard, so even with the control re-mapping, it was wonky. It took a lot of tweaking on the controls to get it to feel "good" but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. Probably better off just playing this one on the PC.

F.E.A.R. 3 - Ran perfectly, FPS controls felt good, even though they were technically re-mapped mouse and keyboard. (This game should have been recent enough for gamepad support?)

I am kind of bummed that GOG games are hit and miss. I was watching tutorials last night on getting them running on the Deck, and it really didn't seem worth the effort. Which is a shame because I have about 100 GOG games, including ones that work great with gamepad controls. I have the entire Ys series on GOG, as well as games like Wolfenstein, the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series, Prince of Persia trilogy, Deus Ex, etc. GOG has having a string of great sales for a while, and I amassed quite the collection. Sucks I don't really get to enjoy them here. I guess technically a ROG Ally would have been better for that, huh, since it's basically just a handheld Windows PC...

47 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee I bought Psychonauts 2 so I will actually beat it now. 

I really do need an SD card but $100 is way too steep.

25 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This 1TB one is on sale for $73 right now.

A bit more complicated as you may want to do a system copy via a usb stick and load it onto this SSD, but it’s way better than an SD card and is 2tb:

https://newegg.io/9f5f8a9  

You may also be able to just load Steam Deck’s SteamOS on it and start fresh by redownloading your current library (make sure cloud saves are enabled on your games) but I don’t know the process/ease.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Ok so I loaded up a few of my Steam games to try out. Keep in mind a few of these are pretty old so they were never intended for mobile play.

Hunted: The Demon's Forge - ran perfectly. The game already had gamepad support, but I played this game for about an hour and a half and zero problems. Which is nice because it's not technically "verified" by Steam.

Risen - Only played this one for a few minutes. The controls seem to work fine; I didn't do much combat, but this one also had a gamepad mode, so it worked. The only problem is the text is tiny, and this is a conversation-heavy game. Might have to play this one on the desktop.

Yakuza 0 - I think this one was already verfied, but yeah it ran great. It looked amazing on the OLED as well, since the city is literally nothing but glowing signs and neon lights.

Warhammer 40k Space Marine - This one looked and ran amazing, despite not being verified. Controlled really well.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - It "worked" but it was designed for mouse and keyboard, so even with the control re-mapping, it was wonky. It took a lot of tweaking on the controls to get it to feel "good" but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. Probably better off just playing this one on the PC.

F.E.A.R. 3 - Ran perfectly, FPS controls felt good, even though they were technically re-mapped mouse and keyboard. (This game should have been recent enough for gamepad support?)

I am kind of bummed that GOG games are hit and miss. I was watching tutorials last night on getting them running on the Deck, and it really didn't seem worth the effort. Which is a shame because I have about 100 GOG games, including ones that work great with gamepad controls. I have the entire Ys series on GOG, as well as games like Wolfenstein, the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series, Prince of Persia trilogy, Deus Ex, etc. GOG has having a string of great sales for a while, and I amassed quite the collection. Sucks I don't really get to enjoy them here. I guess technically a ROG Ally would have been better for that, huh, since it's basically just a handheld Windows PC...

I've come to terms with the fact that my Steam Deck is primarily for playing Steam games -- and that my Desktop is for playing other games.  I know that I could spend a bunch of time playing with Proton versions and settings to get them running fine -- but given my limited gaming time, it is much easier just to play them on my PC.

Until PC developers start to build UIs that take Steam Deck into account, text size will always be an issue.  Even games that run well (Spider-Man and Dave the Diver for example) have text that is annoyingly small to read. 

30 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I've come to terms with the fact that my Steam Deck is primarily for playing Steam games -- and that my Desktop is for playing other games.  I know that I could spend a bunch of time playing with Proton versions and settings to get them running fine -- but given my limited gaming time, it is much easier just to play them on my PC. 

This is why I moved on from the Deck and won’t revisit until it gets either Windows dual boot or Native Game Pass support.  The hoops you jump through to get a non-Steam game to sort of work is too much for me. 

51 minutes ago, Brian said:

This is why I moved on from the Deck and won’t revisit until it gets either Windows dual boot or Native Game Pass support.  The hoops you jump through to get a non-Steam game to sort of work is too much for me. 

Fair comment.  I don't think I would buy a Deck if I wasn't travelling as much as I was last year, that said, I still get a fair bit of use of it now playing indie-like games. 

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

A bit more complicated as you may want to do a system copy via a usb stick and load it onto this SSD, but it’s way better than an SD card and is 2tb:

https://newegg.io/9f5f8a9  

You may also be able to just load Steam Deck’s SteamOS on it and start fresh by redownloading your current library (make sure cloud saves are enabled on your games) but I don’t know the process/ease.

I would say a bit more complicated is underselling a process that involves opening the system up and a small operation :P

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s a handful of screws and plugging something in. If he added an m.2 to his PS5, he’ll survive this :p 

But in comparison! Idk, I always get nervous, I’m nervous to do mine and I saw how easy it all is with Xbob’s great video :P

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm keeping it installed. I have 6 games downloaded right now at full capacity. 

I might see if I can put it outside when my Dad drops off my medication tomorrow (still doing the no contact thing) and have him ship the card lol - It hurts me just thinking of trying to juggle on the 512gb which you don’t even get all of.

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I might see if I can put it outside when my Dad drops off my medication tomorrow (still doing the no contact thing) and have him ship the card lol - It hurts me just thinking of trying to juggle on the 512gb which you don’t even get all of.

<3

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

So the sparks looks good but there is no hdr sadly :( I crushed the blacks a little to make them pop more. 

Also what a horrible first character choice! That dude is weird. 

What struck me most is I forgot how fucking good the game is. I wish you would have told me about the sale price :P

Lets just call it supporting the developers.