Next Generation of RE Engine Announced Codename: REX Engine

Keyser_Soze

While I am hopeful I see a Code Veronica remake, I'm actually kinda wanting Resident Evil 6.

Not an RE6 remake.... a whole new RE6. I'd like for them to pretend that trash fire never happened and actually insert a good chapter. Because all of them actually hold up pretty well now, even jumping from RE4 Remake to o.g. RE5. But there's no redeeming RE6. Everything about that game was awful.

• True 1

3 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

While I am hopeful I see a Code Veronica remake, I'm actually kinda wanting Resident Evil 6.

Not an RE6 remake.... a whole new RE6. I'd like for them to pretend that trash fire never happened and actually insert a good chapter. Because all of them actually hold up pretty well now, even jumping from RE4 Remake to o.g. RE5. But there's no redeeming RE6. Everything about that game was awful.

RE6 is too integral to RE's canon to bee deleted and redone. I guess if they remade RE6 they could change some things but the RE remakes aren't really considered a separate canon but the same so not sure RE6 can stray too far off course. 

Honestly remake RE1 again, shit is old. And RE0 and RE Code: Veronica. Then they should think about RE5.

On 10/30/2023 at 10:53 AM, Greatoneshere said:

RE6 is too integral to RE's canon to bee deleted and redone. I guess if they remade RE6 they could change some things but the RE remakes aren't really considered a separate canon but the same so not sure RE6 can stray too far off course.

Is it though? RE6's story was nonsensical bullshit, even by Resident Evil standards. I fully believe they could make a standalone RE6 that focused on Sherry and Wesker Jr. and completely scrub Leon's, Chris's, and Ada's throwaway stories and not really lose anything in the way of meaningful canon. Just weave what small significance they had into cutscenes and cameos and it would work just fine.

Nothing that has come since (RE7, RE8) has much to do with anything that happened since RE6 anyway. That's not by accident either, since RE6 was such a train wreck that it spurred a soft reboot of the entire series.

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Is it though? RE6's story was nonsensical bullshit, even by Resident Evil standards. I fully believe they could make a standalone RE6 that focused on Sherry and Wesker Jr. and completely scrub Leon's, Chris's, and Ada's throwaway stories and not really lose anything in the way of meaningful canon. Just weave what small significance they had into cutscenes and cameos and it would work just fine.

Nothing that has come since (RE7, RE8) has much to do with anything that happened since RE6 anyway. That's not by accident either, since RE6 was such a train wreck that it spurred a soft reboot of the entire series.

They're just not gonna scrub a mainline numbered entry's story, no chance. At best it's minimized.

On 10/31/2023 at 10:41 PM, Greatoneshere said:

They're just not gonna scrub a mainline numbered entry's story, no chance. At best it's minimized.

I don't think they should scrub it. I think they should take bits and pieces of it and re-work it in to a coherent, good game. Kind of like a Director's Cut.

What I don't think they should do is give that shit a spit of HD polish and call it a day.

• True 1

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I don't think they should scrub it. I think they should take bits and pieces of it and re-work it in to a coherent, good game. Kind of like a Director's Cut.

What I don't think they should do is give that shit a spit of HD polish and call it a day.

Well, any RE remake isn't just an HD polish, so RE6 won't just receive some remaster. But given the fidelity to the original stories (mostly) that the remakes have done, it'd be pretty out of character for Capcom to mess with RE6 when they didn't mess with RE2, RE3, or RE4 too much (other than cutting out some things from RE3). I just don't think they'll ever take the approach you're suggesting, but we can hope.

RE6 was a big pile of shit but it had some really fun and satisfying combat mechanics. Unfortunately none of the stages or enemies seemed to be designed to take advantage of these mechanics to make unique and fun scenarios or to surprise you with enemies disabling or copying some of them. Classic RE6.

If you play it to laugh at how fucking stupid it is, it's kinda fun, but I too would rather they just torched the whole thing. No one gives a shit about RE lore, least of all Capcom. Go nuts and make a new RE6.

7 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

RE6 was a big pile of shit but it had some really fun and satisfying combat mechanics. Unfortunately none of the stages or enemies seemed to be designed to take advantage of these mechanics to make unique and fun scenarios or to surprise you with enemies disabling or copying some of them. Classic RE6.

If you play it to laugh at how fucking stupid it is, it's kinda fun, but I too would rather they just torched the whole thing. No one gives a shit about RE lore, least of all Capcom. Go nuts and make a new RE6.

No. They should make an amazing RE9. Fuck remakes. 

22 minutes ago, best3444 said:

No. They should make an amazing RE9. Fuck remakes. 

What are you guys talking about with this? Capcom has been steadily making new titles for years now, the remakes are the titles that go between major new entries so it's not just like a 4 year gap. 

Despite them being bad games it is important to keep in mind before RE7 rolled along RE5 and 6 were the best selling Resident Evil games, in fact #6 and #7 all time for them (as of June 30) so with that kind of "popularity" it might be hard not to remake them. Although one could say that now that people know they are bad there's no way they could replicate those sales. :thinking:

WWW.CAPCOM.CO.JP

Titles which sold more than 1 million copies each are listed with videos and screen shots.

14 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Capcom absolutely cares about lore enough they aren't going to make a divergent RE6 remake that splits the story in two different ways going forward with RE7 and RE8 already out there. If your suggestion is just to remake the game on a gameplay level, that makes sense, but on a story level the same story beats will probably be kept.

Someone name me a strong example of a time a company took a mainline IP they owned and in the remake process said: "fuggit" and destroyed their whole canon for a remake in the modern era? Joke answers like The Last Jedi do not count.