Monarch: Legacy of Monsters - Official Trailer

This might be a little confusing to some people, so to make it clear: this is the Apple TV+ series that is connected to the American Godzilla monsterverse. What can be a little strange here is this show takes place after Gareth Edwards' Godzilla (2014), but before Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Godzilla vs. Kong. Pretty cool to see Wyatt Russell and Kurt Russell play the same character at different ages. 

This project is different than the upcoming Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire, a sequel film to Godzilla vs. Kong which has director Adam Wingard returning (who did Godzilla vs. Kong). With four of these new monsterverse movies out and a new show and new film on the way, I have to say the first two films turned out the best so far - Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island are pretty memorable looking back on them now. Godzilla: King of the Monsters was a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing and I can hardly remember anything about the film. Godzilla vs. Kong was solid but the Millie Bobby Brown/Brian Tyree Henry plotline was a complete dud and that took up like a third of the film. The rest was a lot of fun though.

Also, did anyone know they dropped an 8-episode animated miniseries that is a canonical sequel to Kong: Skull Island and is a part of this monsterverse? It dropped on Netflix just this past June, I had no idea. I may have to check that out - anyone seen it?

• Like 1
  • Sicko 1

• 1 month later...

between this and Godzilla Minus One being listed for a local showing it seems the days of generous Godzilla content continues..

between this, Loki S2, Mls playoffs, finally getting my turn at Mario Wonder and some of the movies dropping in for streaming it seems I got entertainment for a good while..

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Enjoyed the first episode well enough that I revisited Godzilla (2014) and will watch Skull Island tonight. Godzilla holds up really well, even if Aaron Taylor-Johnson is a non-entity.

Yeah, I ended up watching all four films again, just have Godzilla vs. Kong left. I stand by my earlier post that Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island are pretty good and while the first hour of King of the Monsters was solid it devolves into a pretty hot mess after that with no memorable characters in its too large cast and a heel turn by the mother that makes no sense (twice!). Haven't seen Godzilla vs. Kong since theaters so hoping that one holds up then on to Monarch.

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

Watched the first 2 episodes and will try to tackle the 3rd tonight. I liked the 2nd episode a little more because we finally got Kurt’s first appearance. So I’m looking forward to more of his story and the shits he’s seen over the 50 years that Monarch kept quite before G’Day

Only the first two episodes dropped on the 17th. Third episode drops on the 24th. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The third episode is actually up tonight. i just got a notification from Apple on my Ipad.

Nice - I've just been going off of the Wikipedia page for the show which now lists episode 3's release date as Wednesday the 22nd which makes more sense if it just dropped.

Edit: Apple TV+ dropped the latest episode of For All Mankind early as well, I'm guessing they are releasing new episodes of shows for this week early because of Thanksgiving.

• 2 weeks later...

Fourth episode was more of a table setting episode but we got a lot of good character development for Kentaro out of it while our troupe wandered around for awhile. It was inevitable that Monarch and the group would meet up at some point so I'm glad that's happening sooner rather than later. The characters are definitely a step up from the human characters in the movies and the show treats itself as prestige TV. It's clear that May doesn't trust Shaw and is trying to get the sister to internalize that too. This is going to be a 10-episode season so still plenty to go. I do find it strange that they're treating the emergence of monsters in this show as a mystery when the audience already knows where this is going due to King of the Monsters and Godzilla vs. Kong. I understand it's a mystery for the characters in the show who don't know what we do but the filmmaking seems to imply it's a mystery for us too. 

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I do find it strange that they're treating the emergence of monsters in this show as a mystery when the audience already knows where this is going due to King of the Monsters and Godzilla vs. Kong. I understand it's a mystery for the characters in the show who don't know what we do but the filmmaking seems to imply it's a mystery for us too. 

I think it's because even though the show is set in the past, it's going to reveal something that we as an audience don't know that's going to lead into Godzilla X Kong. 

• Hype 1

46 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think it's because even though the show is set in the past, it's going to reveal something that we as an audience don't know that's going to lead into Godzilla X Kong. 

That was my one thought they could be bothering doing it this way as well, if so that'd be cool, I'm down.

• 4 weeks later...

Seven episodes in and this show looks to be potentially tying itself a lot into Godzilla: King of the Monsters (which makes sense), a movie that needs all the help it can get. Clearly the cybernetic interface unit is the thing Ken Watanabe's son uses to control Mecha Ghidorah in King of the Monsters - even directly referencing Demien Bechir's character from that movie. The placement of known Monarch Outposts in that film is clearly a result of what will happen in this show. And the rifts are probably linked to the hollow Earth stuff. Show has continued to remain pretty engaging even if there hasn't been enough proper kaiju action (though we did get more Godzilla at least). Also not as much Wyatt Russell timeline stuff as I thought there would be in the show.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Timey-wimey stuff here to save the day. Interesting concept but c'mon, some characters should just stay dead if you want real stakes.

I saw it coming a few episodes ago, but still happy to see. My AppleTV subscription ends on the 20th and I’m glad I’ll at least be able to see the finale next week. Sort of hoping to of gotten another 3 months with my iPhone 15 purchase a few days ago for Masters of the Sky coming so soon. 

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That General is dead, though… of old age

:sickos:

Watch General Puckett show up in the present timeline too. :p 

11 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I saw it coming a few episodes ago, but still happy to see.

I mean, I dunno. I liked that it explains Kurt Russell's age, but bringing the grandmother back was a bit much for me. What gets funnier is how Anders Holm (Bill Randa), now in 1962, will turn into John Goodman in 11 years for Kong: Skull Island in 1973. Also the actor playing Hiroshi (the missing dad) should be in his 70's in the present timeline - he's looking good for being in his 70's! Maybe he also went at some point through a portal to get some of that sweet, sweet elixir of youth time dilation effect.

I'm also confused - is this different than the hollow Earth stuff in Godzilla vs. Kong? Because I don't remember any time dilation there or the world inside the core of the Earth being so hostile with electricity fields, etc.. I don't remember portals either, but needing equipment to be able to travel the tunnels the Titans use underneath the Earth so Alexander Skarsgard and all have to use a little ship to get there in that movie.

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, I dunno. I liked that it explains Kurt Russell's age, but bringing the grandmother back was a bit much for me. What gets funnier is how Anders Holm (Bill Randa), now in 1962, will turn into John Goodman in 11 years for Kong: Skull Island in 1973. Also the actor playing Hiroshi should be in his 70's in the present timeline - he's looking good for being in his 70's!

Grief can be a terrible thing and could explain the weight gain. I take it the son has briefly been in the underworld as well. I mean with all the maps/info his kids found in the office explaining the tunnels. Plus the mom thing became apparent because the bugs came out of the tunnel itself and swallowed/swarmed dragged her back into their world. Probably been a few weeks/months only for her down there. I only have issues with the whole time distortion thing because it wasn’t encountered in Godzilla Vs Kong

15 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Grief can be a terrible thing and could explain the weight gain. I take it the son has briefly been in the underworld as well. I mean with all the maps/info his kids found in the office explaining the tunnels. Plus the mom thing became apparent because the bugs came out of the tunnel itself and swallowed/swarmed dragged her back into their world. Probably been a few weeks/months only for her down there. I only have issues with the whole time distortion thing because it wasn’t encountered in Godzilla Vs Kong

I mean, how are these people living traveling through the portal though? Wyatt Russell's team went through hell, with one dying on the way in, with gear and a capsule and everything. But the grandmother lives by free falling into the portal, as do Kurt Russell, May, and Cate in the present timeline? Just seems inconsistent. Additionally, you can't keep doing so many fake out deaths and expect us to believe the show has the balls for any dramatic stakes. Wyatt Russell is dead . . . except he's not. The grandmother is dead . . . except she's not. Hiroshi is dead . . . except he's not. The only character the show has even killed off was that poor Korean pilot Du-Ho. It's getting silly. I'm sure Bill Randa wouldn't be dead either if Kong: Skull Island hadn't killed off John Goodman so clearly and thoroughly.

Also strange that somehow the grandmother hid that she already had a son (with an unseen, presumably dead biological father) from her two closest friends for years. Probably could have just had her have the child with Anders Holm instead, but whatever. Also, would the grandmother really pick Anders Holm over Wyatt Russell ultimately? Maybe Russell betraying her by telling Puckett Godzilla is still out there in 1955 created a rift there but in 1959 they still seem on good terms (when she "dies") and they haven't yet shown a scene between her and Russell regarding the fallout of him doing that in 1955 since this episode's past plot was in 1962, where she is "dead" already. Be curious to see how she and Anders Holm took that betrayal, even though it clearly kept Monarch alive at the time.

Look at the bright side with the time space differences (I don’t think it’s time travel, it’s likely that time moves differently in the under-verse/whatever): since Bill Randa turns into John Goodman, it stops old Keiko from the logical casting of Roseanne Barr. 

• Haha 1

That was an emotional ending there, and really well done. It does leave it open for another season easily with the ending and they can mirror the 2 times in the under world to keep the Russell’s story going. So I will sign up again AppleTV for a 2nd season

That was a pretty good finale, I liked most of it. Kind of weird not to tell Keiko about G-Day or that her son had two families but outside of those irritating bits I liked it (I hate when shows withhold information from a character when there is no need to and when telling them would actually make more sense). I thought this would be a miniseries but there's clearly going to be a season 2. I'm a little confused on why Apex would be on Skull Island because in Godzilla vs. King, which came out in 2021 but takes place in 2024, it's Monarch who has sealed Kong on Skull Island, not Apex. Now, it's 2017 here, not 2024, but still. I'm also at a loss to understand what they are doing here vs. what they were doing in Godzilla vs. Kong because this doesn't just appear to be the Hollow Earth stuff? I don't remember rifts teleporting people to some purgatory Axis Mundi world but maybe Godzilla x Kong will go into this further. It's also kind of weird none of these characters appear anywhere (nor are even mentioned) in Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Godzilla vs. Kong when they are all super important. Anyway, looking forward to season 2!

Just watched the last two episodes last night. Was pretty good and I guess we know what happened to that Plasma Dragon Titan... Godzilla killed it or fucked it up real bad. I'm sure some of the stuff that happened here is going to be followed up in Godzilla X Kong which comes out in a couple of months

• 2 months later...