Amazon adding ads to Prime Video in 2024 unless you pay $2.99 extra

Jason

On 9/22/2023 at 2:12 PM, ort said:

The next thing they are going to do is try and figure out ways to get people to stop hopping from service to service.

One thing that could do that is something these services refuse to do, and thats grandfather people in at the lower rates. That was how TWC kept my dad from leaving his internet speeds kept getting upgraded as they naturally increased speeds all around, but his bill stayed the same as it was when he first signed up. 

maybe the middle ground for these companies will be a slightly discounted annual subscription. 

I think Disney tried in a different way by how their series release schedules were slated. Staggering the end of one show and the start of another just far enough apart a person might keep their subscription. But this model is expensive if it doesn’t work, because of how much content they have to make. 

Im not sure what else they can do to attempt to prevent people from service hopping. I don’t want to find out either, because it’s almost zero chance to be consumer friendly. Like the ads thing here. Introduce the problem to consumers and then sell the solution. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I watched an episode of the new Amazon Original show Expats. In a 53 minute episode, there were two ad breaks. One was a single 30 second ad, the other was 15 seconds. That's... not enough to get me to pay extra, especially since I don't watch that much Prime content. Curious to see if/when/how it gets worse. 

25 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

It started yesterday on the 29th for me about 3pm right in the middle of watching a show. 

I had been hoping it would hold off until the first of the month....

It started in the middle of a show you were already streaming?! Jesus. 

The really galling thing to me is that if they had just said "we're raising the price of Prime by $18/year" (approx. ($2.99/month * 12 months)/2, to assume that roughly half the people using it don't use it enough to make ads necessary to offset their costs) I would have gladly paid it and not given it a second thought. Even if they raised the price of Prime by $36/year I possibly would have begrudgingly paid it.

But adding in ads to a service I already am paying for really infuriates me. :frustrated:

• True 3

5 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Still enough to get me to sail the high seas though

Looks like for now at least uBlock Origin is able to block the ads. Although obviously a shit solution if you want to watch on something other than your computer.

14 hours ago, Jason said:

Wait, was it between episodes or literally in the middle of an episode? Between the episodes would at least be not surprising.

It does it throughout episodes where commercial breaks fade outs are typically in a show, just like watching live TV or how other streaming services do it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 12:52 AM, Nokra said:

The really galling thing to me is that if they had just said "we're raising the price of Prime by $18/year" (approx. ($2.99/month * 12 months)/2, to assume that roughly half the people using it don't use it enough to make ads necessary to offset their costs) I would have gladly paid it and not given it a second thought. Even if they raised the price of Prime by $36/year I possibly would have begrudgingly paid it.

But adding in ads to a service I already am paying for really infuriates me. :frustrated:

Ive wondered for a while if getting people to pay extra isn’t the point. It’s more they know that many, if not most won’t opt into the ad-free version. The revenue they stand to make on those still getting ads will be higher than if everyone opted into the ad-free tier. 

Its probably why Youtube premium is $14-$19 instead of just $4-$7. 

these companies adding ads to paid services only offer an ad-free version to prevent people from canceling over being forced to sit through ads. 

On 1/30/2024 at 6:08 PM, TheLeon said:

In a 53 minute episode, there were two ad breaks. One was a single 30 second ad, the other was 15 seconds.

probably wont stay that way for long. CBS all access and Paramount+ started off that way and over time added more and longer ad breaks. Breaks getting longer the further into the show you get, upwards of 5 minutes in a single break, and the ads repeat. 

• Halal 1