Anyone know a good price on an Nvidia 4090?

brucoe

51 minutes ago, brucoe said:

With Starfield out, I'm starting to notice that my Nvidia 3080 is really lagging. I started looking for a new video card, and oh wow, those prices? I wanted an upgrade for my computer, not a new house. Anyone know better sources for the next stage in my life?

NVIDIA cards don't seem to be pulling their weight in starfield, probably needs some more patches and driver updates.

2 hours ago, brucoe said:

With Starfield out, I'm starting to notice that my Nvidia 3080 is really lagging. I started looking for a new video card, and oh wow, those prices? I wanted an upgrade for my computer, not a new house. Anyone know better sources for the next stage in my life?

What are you current specs?

An Nvidia driver update will most likely boost performance, as right now you have to manually enforce ReBar which helps framerates.

Don't use Ultra shadows on Nvidia cards.

And look into the DLSS mod.

I can't imagine you're using a bad CPU if you have a 3080, which is good enough to play the game (just not at Ultra settings).

7 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I can't imagine you're using a bad CPU if you have a 3080

I mean, the 3080 released 3 years ago. It could certainly be a 9th-11th gen Intel or a 2000-3000 Ryzen.

Absolutely agree in trying the DLSS(2) mod and potentially ReBAR if the motherboard supports it.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean, the 3080 released 3 years ago. It could certainly be a 9th-11th gen Intel or a 2000-3000 Ryzen.

Absolutely agree in trying the DLSS(2) mod and potentially ReBAR if the motherboard supports it.

this. And also, @brucoe with a 3080 may not want to hear it, but 1440p is gonna be the play if the goal is 60fps+ everywhere. 

20 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

NVIDIA cards don't seem to be pulling their weight in starfield, probably needs some more patches and driver updates.

And at the same time it seems like AMD CPUs  are not benching where they should be. The 7800X3D Benchmarking lower than the 13900k and 13700k by a decent amount. Not what you would expect from an “exclusive AMD Partner”. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

1440P will just be a bit softer than 4K in full screen. 

Ill give it a try. Thanks.

By the way, I still get notifications about you in Steam. If you're getting notifications about me, I swear that one about me being out on parole is obviously a mistake. :|

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, brucoe said:

Will running 1440p give horrible graphics, or will it just cut down on the image size?

I play on a 65” Tv, and with this game I have to be at 1080p with DLSS to stay around 60 fps near cities and large colonies, because of my 3070ti. It looks fine. 4K still looks sharper, but I don’t feel like I’m down a generation. This game wasn’t going to win any “best visuals” awards this year as is, but it seems to scale well without losing a ton of clarity. 

honestly the place I notice it most is the space time lines representing an object’s mass on the Star map. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2023 at 6:09 PM, cusideabelincoln said:

SSD is part of the minimum specs.

I'm one of those people that thought I was still at the top of the spec hill (I'm not), so I wasn't paying close attention to the minimum specs. Guess I'll have to start doing that now, at least until I get a new supercomputer.

On 9/22/2023 at 12:40 PM, brucoe said:

I'm one of those people that thought I was still at the top of the spec hill (I'm not), so I wasn't paying close attention to the minimum specs. Guess I'll have to start doing that now, at least until I get a new supercomputer.

Gaming on a spinning drive from 40 years ago has been out of date for 10 years or so. Welcome to 2012ish