Serious Grocery Shopping Question

SoberChef

This came to me like a week or so ago and it has stuck with me daily since:

What is stopping us from going into a grocery store, with a knife & cutting board, and go over to the produce section to trim/slice/core whatever fruits & veggies we are intending to purchase. Most, if not all produce sections do happen to have a garbage can or two about, there's a litany of bags. In turn, we the consumer are saving money by say not having to purchase the top or core of a pineapple, the seeds/stem from peppers, same with melons, or perhaps the bottom quarter of asparagus?

All I'm saying is that it appears to me that there happens to be some sort of non-spoken cultural agreement to not do this, yet for my life I cannot understand why people aren't realizing we are losing money on this agreement. Obviously I'm not heading over to the meat/seafood sections to prep my protein (although I would totally love this if it were a thing), but at the very least, for produce saving purposes, why not?

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

What is stopping us from going into a grocery store, with a knife & cutting board, and go over to the produce section to trim/slice/core whatever fruits & veggies we are intending to purchase.

Sounds messy and dangerous. Have you ever been in a grocery store? Imagine it's busy and there are people trying to get by while you're trying to cut some fruit open.

7 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

In turn, we the consumer are saving money by say not having to purchase the top or core of a pineapple, the seeds/stem from peppers, same with melons, or perhaps the bottom quarter of asparagus?

A lot of stores sell sliced fruit

8 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

All I'm saying is that it appears to me that there happens to be some sort of non-spoken cultural agreement to not do this, yet for my life I cannot understand why people aren't realizing we are losing money on this agreement. Obviously I'm not heading over to the meat/seafood sections to prep my protein (although I would totally love this if it were a thing), but at the very least, for produce saving purposes, why not?

My guess is they sell you a whole fruit by weight, What you cut off doesn't matter, you go in there and you agree to buy the whole piece of fruit.

They sell sliced fruit/veggies for a serious upcharge, which works against my point.

As for messy/dangerous, granted I wouldn't recommend EVERYONE to do this, preferably those who have a healthy knowledge of the culinary industry. Again, this is why I'm speaking directly about produce only, that way the case for food borne pathogens cross contaminating wouldn't be an issue to begin with. Furthermore, if I'm using the bags provided ...

"...they sell you fruit by weight, what you cut off doesn't matter..." ummmm, this is the point of the thread, to save money by cutting off/out those parts to which won't be eaten yet are being paid for regardless.

59 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Do it enough and if stores don’t outright ban it the costs will go up and so called savings would disappear

plus cutting most fruits and veggies speeds up how quickly they go bad

Yeah the second reason is why I would never do it. 

10 minutes ago, Brian said:

This post makes me feel like you don’t grocery shop. Cut a pineapple? You pay per pineapple. If you cut it or you don’t, it’s the same price.

Well they sell watermelon by the pound. So if I go in and cut all the watermelon off the rind and take out all the seeds and put what's left in a bag and weigh it the savings would be immense! :o

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well they sell watermelon by the pound. So if I go in and cut all the watermelon off the rind and take out all the seeds and put what's left in a bag and weigh it the savings would be immense! :o

I can’t recall every buying watermelon by the pound. 

The price per pound already reflects that part of the produce is inedible. The pre-sliced is upcharged not just for the labor that went into it but because they've already removed the garbage parts for you so no duh it's more expensive when they're only weighing the edible parts.