MSFT vs FTC court filings indicate that MSFT believes that the PS5 Slim will release this year

PS5-disc-drive.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

The Xbox maker also thinks a PS5 Pro console will be released "in the near future"

Microsoft expects Sony Interactive Entertainment to launch a PlayStation 5 Slim console later this year.

In documents published as part of its legal battle with the US Federal Trade Commission, the company said it expects the new PS5 model to cost the same as the existing PS5 Digital Edition console, which is $100 less than the standard PS5.

“PlayStation likewise sells a less expensive Digital Edition for $399.99, and is expected to release a PlayStation 5 Slim later this year at the same reduced price point,” Microsoft said.

6 hours ago, Dodger said:

The $350 Series S seems like a shit value if you can reliably get a PS5 for $400

You already can get a PS5 for $400 so I'm curious as what this is.

Right now you can get a Digital version PS5 for $400. So does the slim have a disc drive and they lower the price by $100 or is it just a rebranding of the digital version? Do they have a digital slim version for even cheaper? If so I'd bite on that.

All of this very strange after they just increased the price of PS5s. :silly:

40 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Right now you can get a Digital version PS5 for $400. So does the slim have a disc drive and they lower the price by $100 or is it just a rebranding of the digital version? Do they have a digital slim version for even cheaper? If so I'd bite on that.

Maybe the digital PS5 is already the slim model and Sony is just relaunching it

Keanu Reeves GIF

• Shocked 1

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I haven't looked, can you reliably find the digital edition or is it still a pain in the ass? I know stock of the disc version is pretty good but feels like it's still hard to get the DE. 

2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I haven't looked, can you reliably find the digital edition or is it still a pain in the ass? I know stock of the disc version is pretty good but feels like it's still hard to get the DE. 

WWW.GAMESTOP.COM

Buy the Sony PlayStation 5 Digital Edition at GameStop. Find release dates, customer reviews, and more. Save on PS5 digital edition with our buy now, pay later option.

What's everyone's interest in a slim? I never got a slim console because I honestly see no reason to do so? I have a digital ps5 and I don't need anything smaller so whats the point?

Also, what do you think the pro will offer over the base console? Will it run every game at 60fps?

On 7/5/2023 at 10:59 AM, best3444 said:

What's everyone's interest in a slim? I never got a slim console because I honestly see no reason to do so? I have a digital ps5 and I don't need anything smaller so whats the point?

Also, what do you think the pro will offer over the base console? Will it run every game at 60fps?

if a pro can’t run every game at 60-120, then what’s the point? Current PS5 console is already struggling with games coming out at 30. A Pro that’s also locked to 30fps just seems silly. 

56 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

if a pro can’t run every game at 60-120, then what’s the point? Current PS5 console is already struggling with games coming out at 30. A Pro that’s also locked to 30fps just seems silly. 

Yea so I guess I'll get it. That would be nice if it could get up to 120. 

I’ve upgraded my PS3/4 systems to the slims when they came out. I usually paid $80cnd overall in the end with trade in offers they would do at EB Games here in Canada. The PS3 was the best upgrade because my original system was the non wifi 20GB system and ran liking a fucking jet engine furnace in my room. Plus it needed repairs 2.5w after I had purchased it. I did it for the first slim version, before they decided to do the late 80’s cd player slide top. The PS4 was nice in being smaller and took up less space on my dresser. I would need to see if there would be any real benefit to upgrade from my disc PS5 system. 

21 minutes ago, silentbob said:

The PS3 was the best upgrade because my original system was the non wifi 20GB system and ran liking a fucking jet engine furnace in my room. 

So true 😆 but I never upgraded to the slim. Funny analogy. 

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I’m struggling to think of a console that wasn’t ugly. 

It’s probably very rare for a console to look beautiful, but I think many consoles kept from being ugly. “Slim” models in particular. The PSone, the PStwo, PS3 slim. I thought the whole family of PS4 was fine. The Wii U looked like an external DVD drive. The GameCube looked ok in Black. The Wii I thought with the vertical stand got close to beautiful, especially in black. The Xbox consoles since the One to current just seem to blend into a cabinet. Not beautiful, but not ugly. Somebody could shuffle your receiver, cable box, and Xbox around and you might not notice. 

cartridge based consoles is where you start to lose me, but I think the Sega Genesis v2 was pretty clean and minimalistic and so avoided being ugly. 

the PS5 is just something else. I didn’t think they could get worse than the PS3, but woah. In the past 20 years Sony is definitely unrivaled in their ability to make console so ugly you actively try to find ways to hide them. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It’s probably very rare for a console to look beautiful, but I think many consoles kept from being ugly. “Slim” models in particular. The PSone, the PStwo, PS3 slim. I thought the whole family of PS4 was fine. The Wii U looked like an external DVD drive. The GameCube looked ok in Black. The Wii I thought with the vertical stand got close to beautiful, especially in black. The Xbox consoles since the One to current just seem to blend into a cabinet. Not beautiful, but not ugly. Somebody could shuffle your receiver, cable box, and Xbox around and you might not notice. 

cartridge based consoles is where you start to lose me, but I think the Sega Genesis v2 was pretty clean and minimalistic and so avoided being ugly. 

the PS5 is just something else. I didn’t think they could get worse than the PS3, but woah. In the past 20 years Sony is definitely unrivaled in their ability to make console so ugly you actively try to find ways to hide them. 

My hot take is that the CDI is the only console I wouldn’t prefer to hide behind doors.