'South Park' creators eliminate tipping at Casa Bonita. Servers now make $30 an hour — and some are upset.

649c9e621bde9d0019b51ec4?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Trey Parker and Matt Stone are asking staff to sign contracts offering hourly wages of $30 at the Lakewood, Colorado, Mexican restaurant they bought.

Gov. Jared Polis of Colorado and the chef Dana "Loca" Rodriguez said in a promotional video for the restaurant published in January that Casa Bonita's second incarnation would create more than 500 new jobs.

Days before opening, though, the restaurant asked employees to sign new contracts that offered hourly wages for servers and bartenders of $30 an hour, according to Axios Denver. The new contract said they would no longer receive tips to supplement their wages, Axios reported — the minimum wage in Colorado is $13.65, according to the state's labor department.

Employees were given one day to decide whether they wanted to sign the new contract or quit, Axios said, citing a conversation with one employee and documents provided by another employee

While the higher hourly wages are likely to provide waitstaff with a more stable source of income when the restaurant isn't too busy, they might result in lower total wages of potentially hundreds of dollars a shift when the restaurant is full, Axios reported, based on its conversations and document review.

• Halal 1

42 minutes ago, CayceG said:

All restaurants should do this. Tipping culture, even if it is lucrative during some shifts, is bad for employees overall. 

You're right. The problem is a lot of people make like $30/hour with tips, and there is no planet where a restaurant owner is going to pay that. Hell I make $22/hour before tips and even that is really rare.

I wholly agree with you, but getting tipped employees on board will never happen with th way things are.

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

Also they probably weren't paying taxes on all of it and now are. Hopefully they're also getting healthcare.

While this would probably fall within the umbrella of paying taxes, I think it’s important to note that this would include paying into Social Security. 

Having worked as a bartender for over ten years when I was younger, I knew a LOT of older people who’d worked as bartenders or waitstaff for most of their lives without reporting their income from tips, and really suffered as a result in terms of expected income in retirement from social security. 

This of course assumes that SS remains solvent, but that’s a separate discussion. 

• Halal 1

26 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

You're right. The problem is a lot of people make like $30/hour with tips, and there is no planet where a restaurant owner is going to pay that. Hell I make $22/hour before tips and even that is really rare.

Raise the price of the meal 5 bucks to non directly add to the amount of a tip (well, not for the generous tippers anyway but I'm sure it averages out)

I fucking hate the whole concept of tipping. I still tip well because I'm not a douche, but why is up to me to figure out how much to pay your employees? Especially with how how of control it has gotten where even if you go to some fast food places or coffee places they are asking for tips. Or go to any venue they ask for tips just for grabbing your beer out of the fridge. Or even worse you got some places asking you for a tip and a donation to whatever. That donation shit needs to stop to. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

It's bad enough that the woman who hands me a cookie puts a giant screen begging for a tip in my face... I also hate how buying something using square at one of these stores magically gives them your email address...

I'm sure I technically agreed to get emails from people somewhere in this process, but at the same time, did I really? Did I?

UNSUBSCRIBE UNSUBSCRIBE UNSUBSCRIBE

I also always tip because I strongly relate to and sympathize with customer facing retail employees, but yeah, tipping is dumb, stores should just pay a livable wage and I'm on team South Park guys here...

• Halal 1