Sharkbait: If the idea of sharkfin soup doesn’t outrage you, maybe this will help.

Gordon Ramsey video/documentary about shark fishing.

I’m a hunter and a fisherman, so I definitely have a more permissive attitude towards those things than the average urbanite/suburbanite, but I have clear lines. Whales, Elephants, dolphins, anything on the endangered list, big, inedible predators, and white sharks. 

Be warned. This video begins with heartbreaking footage, and and only becomes more and more horrifying from there. If you are squeamish or can’t handle seeing the reality of this stuff for any reason, don’t watch it. You will see sharks tortured and their torturers laughing about it. But if enough people see it, maybe there will be real outrage.

But for those who really want to know the reality of Sharkfin Soup, here it is.

I kinda thought it should be the political forum, but it’s not really a news article, so I put it here.

• Hugs 1

• BloodyHell changed the title to Sharkbait: If the idea of sharkfin soup doesn’t outrage you, maybe this will help.

I appreciate the awareness he is bringing.  I knew nothing about shark fin soup and seeing them waste an entire animal for that little bit of meat is just mind boggling. Humans can be the absolute worst.  Sadly I don't know if I see this changing anytime soon.  I feel like plenty of countries out there will continue on the way they have for years until it's too late. All about the money.

Edit: searching more online about the taste of the shark fin... it all seems to reinforce what Gordon said how it's "tasteless".  Like what the hell are people going through this circle jerk for? Catch them, cut them, and eat the boring tasteless fin. Just for the experience? Tradition?? God damn humans can suck.

• True 1

Eli Roth also did a documentary a couple years back attempting to expose this as well.

I believe it's currently on Amazon Prime. Personally, sharks have always captured my wonder, fascination, & curiosity. They are truly majestic creatures & they play such an integral role in the ecosystem. China & their middle to upper class eating a tasteless piece of this creature as merely a status symbol makes me fucking sick & always has. If you're going out there to fish for sharks, THEN USE THE ENTIRE GODDAMN ANIMAL INSTEAD OF MAIMING THEM & DROWNING THEM!?

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

I remember seeing a bit of this documentary years ago, the part when he goes to the restaurant to try some shark fin soup only to say it has no taste, and wonders why anyone bothers with it, other than some sort of status symbol. 

• Halal 1

And here's the thing, as someone who literally dries multiple kinds of meat, fish and fruits in the sun and my sublimator for hunting and fishing trips, road trips and stuff, dried meat is the absolute worst possible way to eat anything, rehydrated or not. It's for times when weight and space is of the essence, but it completely ruins the food. It's edible only in that if you need to carry 7-10 days of food in a pack, you literally can't because of weight and room, so you use freeze dried meals which are a fraction of the weight. If you're not used to it, and can also cause all kinds of, ahem, gastro-intestinal distress, lets say. In almost every situation I would prefer smoked or salted fish/meat. I can imagine eating dried anything unless it was necessary. Again, even rehydrated, it's absolutely the worst way to eat anything i've tried. 

• Halal 1

So I just wanted to see if it’s true that it doesn’t even taste like anything so I went and tried it at five different “restaurants”  and yeah it’s so bland, it’s like eating souped air. It’s really gross that some places allow this to even be a thing, completely wasteful and cruel for absolutely zero value. Disgusting. 

22 minutes ago, ort said:

To be fair, sharks are kinda assholes too.

they really aren't. They are one of the coolest predators on earth. 

Elephants kill far more people than sharks every year. sharks rarely bother anyone. And certainly not nearly as much as we deserve.

5 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

And here's the thing, as someone who literally dries multiple kinds of meat, fish and fruits in the sun and my sublimator for hunting and fishing trips, road trips and stuff, dried meat is the absolute worst possible way to eat anything, rehydrated or not. It's for times when weight and space is of the essence, but it completely ruins the food. It's edible only in that if you need to carry 7-10 days of food in a pack, you literally can't because of weight and room, so you use freeze dried meals which are a fraction of the weight. If you're not used to it, and can also cause all kinds of, ahem, gastro-intestinal distress, lets say. In almost every situation I would prefer smoked or salted fish/meat. I can imagine eating dried anything unless it was necessary. Again, even rehydrated, it's absolutely the worst way to eat anything i've tried. 

Ah so that's the problem, Gordon just needed to have shark fin that had been salted or smoked! I bet he could make it taste good :p

10 minutes ago, Brick said:

Ah so that's the problem, Gordon just needed to have shark fin that had been salted or smoked! I bet he could make it taste good :p

that obviously wasn't the point I was making, but thanks for the levity. 

I thought I suffered a heart attack last night, literally about an hour or so after I posted this thread. My heart and lungs seized in my chest, everything tightened like a vice. I had been sick for a few days, but I tested twice this week and it wasn't covid, so I didn't get it checked. Frankly, I thought it was allergies and a cold. For 20 minutes while I waited for the ambulance, struggling to breathe and stay awake in what seemed like a darkening tunnel, I was positive I was dying right there on my floor. Longest and most terrifying experience of my life. I remember thinking "Did I run every day just to die like this at 41?"

Turned out to be pneumonia (don't go fishing in the rain while already feeling bad, folks), and I had what the doctor said was "Bronchial Spasm's" because the muscles in my lungs were so weak from the pneumonia. Lots of steroids and a bit of xanax later, and I'm home and feeling better, but that comment, for some weird reason, was the first thing that has made me smile in 24 hours. It wasn't even that funny, but it made me smile. 

• Hugs 1

5 hours ago, stepee said:

So I just wanted to see if it’s true that it doesn’t even taste like anything so I went and tried it at five different “restaurants”  and yeah it’s so bland, it’s like eating souped air. It’s really gross that some places allow this to even be a thing, completely wasteful and cruel for absolutely zero value. Disgusting. 

Should have gone six, that last one might have made the difference.