PGA Tour "merges" with Saudi-backed LIV Golf

Yeah, sure - definitely a "merger".

106439158-1584027601029gettyimages-11934
WWW.CNBC.COM

The PGA Tour is merging with Saudi-backed rival LIV Golf, following months of tensions and mounting lawsuits between the competitors.

The PGA Tour has agreed to merge with Saudi-backed rival LIV Golf in a deal that would see the competitors squash pending litigation and move forward as a larger golf enterprise.

The two entities signed an agreement that would combine the PGA Tour and LIV Golf’s commercial businesses and rights into a new, yet-to-be-named for-profit company. The agreement includes DP World Tour, also known as the European PGA Tour.

LIV Golf is backed by the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund, an entity controlled by the Saudi crown prince and has been embroiled in antitrust lawsuits with the PGA Tour in the last year. The deal announced Tuesday would end all pending litigation.

My guess: LIV was snatching up Rory, maybe some other big names, and at some point they do the math and they're like we're fucked. 

The interesting thing to me will be the terms of the merger. I don't think I can stomach much if the Saudis are consistently making a long-term buck off of this, which it's hard to imagine they won't. My hope is it's like a one time lump sum type of thing and maybe some tournies in the Middle East or something, but the PGA tour retains control and there's no massive residual going to the Saudis (again, extremely wishful thinking). 

I don't watch a TON of pro golf but I do watch some of all the majors, and get really into the Masters. So this is a disappointment to me. 

• True 1

49 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Shocked that all of the conservatives super into golf aren't livid about the sport being in the pockets of the Saudis. Shocked, I say!

Do you feel the need to inject politics into every thread topic? Jesus man, relax. 

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The LIV is funded by the sovereign wealth fund of Saudi Arabia and is inherently political. Maybe take up your objection with the PGA :p 

And this merge between the 2 only make conservatives livid? Okay buddy boy. 

• Halal 1

ae101a871d73e9fd0d69d58e857aac53.jpg
WWW.THEONION.COM

KING ABDULLAH ECONOMIC CITY, SAUDI ARABIA—Players on the LIV Golf tour expressed frustration Friday over the hazards on the course at the Royal Greens Golf and Country Club, where they were reportedly forced to putt around a woman being beheaded. “I was doing all right until the 13th hole, when it cost me three…

Wonder what league the Saudis will go after next.

13 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:
ae101a871d73e9fd0d69d58e857aac53.jpg
WWW.THEONION.COM

KING ABDULLAH ECONOMIC CITY, SAUDI ARABIA—Players on the LIV Golf tour expressed frustration Friday over the hazards on the course at the Royal Greens Golf and Country Club...

Wonder what league the Saudis will go after next.

The WWE is pretty much a given.

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

I feel basketball would be next on the list. The Saudis don’t give a shit about money. They  could offer a few guys a billion dollars each to start a league and see what happens. 

Tennis attracts the rich, white people that can help Saudi rehab its image as the world burns. With no contracts, Saudi can sign the top players easily and force a similar situation. 

• True 1

• 7 months later...