Poor Things Teaser

• 7 months later...

I saw the trailer months ago and thought it looks kinda interesting and of course Emma Stone is great, as is Mark Ruffalo, Willem Dafoe, etc. but I promptly forgot all about it. Some friends wanted to go, and now I see reviews seem quite positive so far: 8.5 on IMDb, 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, 87% on Metacritic, etc. 

12 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I saw the trailer months ago and thought it looks kinda interesting and of course Emma Stone is great, as is Mark Ruffalo, Willem Dafoe, etc. but I promptly forgot all about it.

Emma Stone is an American treasure. She was previously in great movies such as Easy A, Oscar nominated Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), and of course Oscar WINNING La La Land, with Mark Ruffalo who's been in great movies such as Foxcatcher, Spotlight, and the underrated The Brothers Bloom. Willem DaFoe from bangers like Antichrist, XXX State of the Union and The Florida Project, written by Tony McNamara who brought us such films as Ashby, and Cruella (also starring Emma Stone) and of course directed by the great Yorgos Lanthimos who brought us The Killing of a Sacred Deer and The Favourite (which also reunites this directing and writing duo) so hopes should be high for what should be a quality movie! If you give this movie anything less than a 9 you are trash.

</greatoneshere>

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Emma Stone is an American treasure. She was previously in great movies such as Easy A, Oscar nominated Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), and of course Oscar WINNING La La Land, with Mark Ruffalo who's been in great movies such as Foxcatcher, Spotlight, and the underrated The Brothers Bloom. Willem DaFoe from bangers like Antichrist, XXX State of the Union and The Florida Project, written by Tony McNamara who brought us such films as Ashby, and Cruella (also starring Emma Stone) and of course directed by the great Yorgos Lanthimos who brought us The Killing of a Sacred Deer and The Favourite (which also reunites this directing and writing duo) so hopes should be high for what should be a quality movie! If you give this movie anything less than a 9 you are trash.

</greatoneshere>

All on point, though the only thing that really matters is that this is a Yorgos Lanthimos joint (as you mentioned), so it's likely very good.

• Hugs 1

I saw this last night and really enjoyed it. It's odd, to be sure, but it's also hilarious, visually fascinating, and at times very moving too. It kind of made me think it was like a weird lovechild of Tim Burton, Wes Anderson, and Frankenstein. Incredible style and wonderful acting by all involved.

On 12/13/2023 at 12:42 PM, johnny said:

i heard emma stone does full body nudity in this 

And yes, confirmed. :] 

• Hype 1

In Poor Things the distorted lens of Yorgos Lanthimos infects everything like a virus. From the physical to metaphysical, nothing is left unchallenged or unchanged. The music rings with an eerie off-key whine, the sky swirls with unnatural tint and texture, buildings and boats twist themselves into unexpected shapes and colors. Here nothing is sacred. Not friendships or families, not science or religion, and certainly not sex. Here the duck-dog barks and the dog-chicken quacks. The occasional fisheye views bring into question if we should even be allowed to watch what is on screen, but it is impossible to turn away.

Because it is glorious.

A coming of age tale in the most bizarre possible way, Poor Things is, despite its trappings, a story of hope. It's a story about wielding reason in an unreasonable world, of finding love and pleasure despite unreasonable cruelty. It is, in a quite literal sense, a story about beauty. It's also quite funny. Sometimes it's funny because laughter feels like the only possible reaction to the absurdity on screen, and sometimes it's just slapstick. For all it's complexities and oddities, Poor Things is not a subtle film. God is dead, sex feels good, don't suffer fools, and maybe we should just be kind to one another.

Picasso once said "it took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child." While Yorgos Lanthimos has never tried to make films like anyone else, with Poor Things he has shed even the pretense and is operating with the freedom of a filmmaker unbound by formality, yet still with an unmistakable skill and craftsmanship. He's joined in that pursuit by Emma Stone, who provides a whirlwind performance that perfectly embodies and amplifies the distorted reality on display. Meanwhile, Mark Ruffalo is surprisingly effective as Bella's foppish paramour and Willem Dafoe is in his natural habitat as off-brand Frankenstein.

All told, Poor Things is a triumph. Decadent in its eccentricities but all the while captivating and entertaining. If you have any curiosity or wonder left in you, it's well worth checking out.

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

4 hours ago, Moa said:

If The Killing of a Sacred Deer is maybe my second least favorite movie of all time (behind Green Lantern 2011), is there any hope that I'd like this movie?

Have you seen Dogtooth, The Lobster or The Favourite? Those are his other movies. Dogtooth is some fucked up shit, but The Lobster, while intense, is enjoyable. The Favourite is darkly comedic. Sacred Deer is intense, so it's hard to say. I'd suggest watching The Lobster or The Favourite if you haven't yet to get a more complete picture. 

But, I mean, second least favorite movie of all time with Green Lantern? That's some serious hyperbole since it's an almost universally regarded good movie and there is a lot of trash I'm sure you've seen out there.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

But, I mean, second least favorite movie of all time with Green Lantern? That's some serious hyperbole since it's an almost universally regarded good movie and there is a lot of trash I'm sure you've seen out there.

I don't want to derail the thread too much with green lantern talk, but I tend to value interesting trash over dull mediocrity. Green Lantern was the dullest most mediocre time waster of a movie I've seen, and I will forever want my two hours back.

1 minute ago, Moa said:

I don't want to derail the thread too much with green lantern talk, but I tend to value interesting trash over dull mediocrity. Green Lantern was the dullest most mediocre time waster of a movie I've seen, and I will forever want my two hours back.

Green Lantern is terrible, I meant how can you put Killing Deer alongside it? Killing Deer is universally regarded, not Green Lantern. :p

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Green Lantern is terrible, I meant how can you put Killing Deer alongside it? Killing Deer is universally regarded, not Green Lantern. :p

Ah, gotcha, I misread your post and was startled to find a Green Lantern defender.

It's been a while since I watched it, and there's a lot of stuff going on with that movie, so I can't really give a perfect explanation for why I disliked it so much. I like weird horror, I love Colin Farrel, I liked the trailer, and I went into the movie with high expectations.

What I remember really hating about the movie was the dialogue. I don't expect every movie and show to have realistic dialogue, and I often enjoy media that embraces weird dialogue, but it just felt like every line in this movie was calculated to take me out of the experience. I can suspend my disbelief all kinds of ways, but so much of the dialogue just felt like something nobody would ever say, when every other aspect of the movie was grounded magical realism. The dialogue was too weird for the rest of the movie, or the rest of the movie was too normal for the dialogue, and this led to basically every other line feeling like it was written by an alien.

I get why other people might like it. The actual plot of the movie is interesting, and I generally like movies that really make you struggle to imagine how you would act in the character's shoes, but here I am, wondering what I would do in Colin Farrel's situation, while instead of acting like a person he's busy talking about jerking his dad off.

• 2 weeks later...