Meg 2: The Trench trailer

People need to understand this movie is, for some reason, being directed by indie arthouse auteur Ben Wheatley (Down Terrace, Kill List, High-Rise, Free Fire, to name a few) and this will be a better and weirder film (hopefully) than it has any right to be. Very curious how this one turns out as a result. The first was innocent, dumb, well-made fun. Average movie but worth a weekend watch at home.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

People need to understand this movie is, for some reason, being directed by indie arthouse auteur Ben Wheatley (Down Terrace, Kill List, High-Rise, Free Fire, to name a few) and this will be a better and weirder film (hopefully) than it has any right to be. Very curious how this one turns out as a result. The first was innocent, dumb, welll-made fun. Average movie but worth a weekend watch at home.

Makes about as much sense as Lee Isaac Chung, known for the deeply personal, tender, emotional drama Minari, making the next Twister movie. 

As for Meg 2:Hypermeg, it looks like they’re not even attempting to make it anything more than a dumb action movie, which is probably the right call. 

• Halal 2

14 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Makes about as much sense as Lee Isaac Chung, known for the deeply personal, tender, emotional drama Minari, making the next Twister movie. 

As for Meg 2:Hypermeg, it looks like they’re not even attempting to make it anything more than a dumb action movie, which is probably the right call. 

You are spot on; the only reason I'm interested in the Twister sequel is because, for some reason, Chung is attached (probably to get Hollywood cred like usual to make a bigger but another personal film afterward). Same reason the only reason I'm interested in The Lion King "live-action" prequel is because Barry Jenkins is directing it.

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

You are spot on; the only reason I'm interested in the Twister sequel is because, for some reason, Chung is attached (probably to get Hollywood cred like usual to make a bigger but another personal film afterward). Same reason the only reason I'm interested in The Lion King "live-action" prequel is because Barry Jenkins is directing it.

I keep forgetting that is Barry Jenkins’ next movie. Ugh. I get that sometimes these directors just need a paycheck gig, but that one feels extra bleak somehow.

• True 1

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I keep forgetting that is Barry Jenkins’ next movie. Ugh. I get that sometimes these directors just need a paycheck gig, but that one feels extra bleak somehow.

Yeah, this happens frequently with writers, actors, and directors. A "one for them (producers/studios), one for me (make a real movie)" mentality. Hence someone like Chloe Zhao (The Rider, Nomadland) doing Eternals. I have no interest in a Lion King prequel, but if Disney actually let's Barry Jenkins be Barry Jenkins in the way they've let David Lowery be David Lowery (like what Lowery did with Pete's Dragon, though I'm not hearing good things about his show Peter Pan & Wendy unfortunately) then I think this prequel could be good at least.

I mean, on a far lesser level, it's kind of weird and amusing that Neill Blomkamp's next film is a major Sony film in Gran Turismo when he's definitely an indie-ish guy with films like District 9, Elysium, Chappie, and Demonic. Hopefully paying the blood sacrifice to the movie studio gods allows him space to come back from a truly bad film like Demonic and make something good again - he keeps talking about making a District 10. I'd like to see Richard Kelly (Donnie Darko, Southland Tales, The Box) out of director jail to make something with a budget again too - if he has to make some studio picture to get there (you could argue The Box was that movie had it not bombed at the box office and utterly confused critics and audiences on what kind of film it was, typical Kelly) then I say he should do it. 

I wanted to like the first movie but it didn’t click for me. I would love to see them closer to the tone of Deep Blue Sea in my need for blood/laughs/unexpected kills. The trailer looks like it is more R rated and not PG-13 like the first one. The first just didn’t work for me in that cheesiness and almost wanted it cheesier with tons of blood thrown in. I might give it a chance if word of mouth turns out good

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

I wanted to like the first movie but it didn’t click for me. I would love to see them closer to the tone of Deep Blue Sea in my need for blood/laughs/unexpected kills. The trailer looks like it is more R rated and not PG-13 like the first one. The first just didn’t work for me in that cheesiness and almost wanted it cheesier with tons of blood thrown in. I might give it a chance if word of mouth turns out good

49 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

The first movie absolutely needed to be rated R to fully pull off that thrashy b-movie vibe it was going for. This one looks even more ridiculous than the first but it would be a bummer if they went PG-13 again.

Looking around online, it looks like The Meg 2: The Trench is supposed to be aiming for a PG-13 rating but people are questioning that given this trailer and the fact Ben Wheatley is directing it when he's only ever made R-rated movies (except his remake of Rebecca which was PG-13 out of eight total movies that he's directed) are making people think this may end up being R-rated anyway. The first three screenwriters who "adapted" Steve Alten's first book "Meg" (which I heard is nothing like the movie) are also the same three writing the screenplay to this movie, "adapting" Steve Alten's second book "The Trench". That at least gives you an indication this will be along the lines of the first movie in screenplay ways.

The difference maker is the first movie was directed by Jon Turtletaub (3 Ninjas, Cool Runnings, National Treasure 1+2, The Sorcerer's Apprentice). Jon Turtletaub is a serviceable director who, after directing 11 movies, has only ever made one R-rated movie and two PG-13 movies (the other 8 movies are all PG-rated). Wheatley is a significantly better and more dynamic director than Turtletaub who has a lot more experience making hard PG-13 and hard R-rated movies. Honestly, Turtletaub directing The Meg is a surprise given it was completely out of his wheelhouse, which explains a lot of the sanitation and lack of blood, viscera, and R-rated dynamism of the direction in that movie. He's wholly unsuited to the task, whereas Wheatley should be a huge step up.

I'm never going to get a faithful representation of my favorite book series. I blame the Chinese financing and need to ram everything Chinese down the throat of every part of this series. Call it something else - call it Sharknado: Megabudget. It's not The Meg. 

The only thing retained from the first book to the movie is the character names, and that it involved a large shark. They even got the shark wrong... stupid fucking bull shark gray looking dumb not scary mother fucker. 

And because they didn't set up the sequel in the first film, you can be assured zero plot points will be retained, because it's not possible. 

I might enjoy the movie, slightly, but fuck these movies trigger me. 

You want some quality shark action, read the books. The first book has what could have been the best cinematic finale ever put to screen, but nooooooo. 

• True 1

I don't believe for a second that Wheatley is going to phone this is but I have the suspicion that he'll be approaching this more as a job rather than a pure vision of artistic expression. Which is totally fine. For a director like him you make these type of blockbusters because it'll make it easier for him to fund his smaller passion films. I'm sure he'll still do his best to make the best possible version of a big dumb blockbuster.

• Halal 1