White House Plumbers, HBO May 1st 2023

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Jason said:

lmao

Is Liddy having a Hitler boner historically accurate? :lol:

By his own admission, it sure as hell is:

The Fuhrer was G Gordon Liddy's first political hero. Liddy was a sickly, asthmatic child when he grew up in Hoboken, New Jersey, in the 1930s. The town was full of ethnic Germans who idolized Hitler. Liddy was made to salute the Stars and Stripes Nazi-style by the nuns at his school; even now, he admits, “at assemblies where the national anthem is played, I must suppress the urge to snap out my right arm.” His beloved German nanny taught him that Hitler had -- through sheer will-power -- “dragged Germany from weakness to strength.”

This gave Liddy hope “for the first time in my life” that he too could overcome weakness. When he listened to Hitler on the radio, it “made me feel a strength inside I had never known before,” he explains. “Hitler's sheer animal confidence and power of will [entranced me]. He sent an electric current through my body.” He describes seeing the Nazis' doomed technological marvel the Hindenberg flying over New Jersey as an almost religious experience. “Ecstatic, I drank in its colossal power and felt myself grow. Fear evaporated and in its place came a sense of personal might and power.”

A-ha. So, Mr Liddy, do you feel that your early, formative love for Hitler shaped your political behavior later in life? “Oh, no,” he says somberly. He renounces Hitler's war against the Jews as “evil” and flaunts his support for Israel's hard right as evidence he is not an anti-Semite. “It was part of my childhood, that's all,” he says.

Really? That doesn't seem to match the historical record. In his autobiography, Liddy admits that, after reading the writings of the notorious anti-Semite Charles Lindbergh, Liddy decided to pick his wife on eugenic grounds. He held out for “a tall, fair, powerfully built Teuton.” Isn't that behavior at the very least in the shadow of Hitler?" Of course not. Genetics is accepted by everyone." But a Teuton? My dictionary defines it as “descended from an ancient Germanic tribe. Often synonymous with Aryan.” He waves his hand and says, “That's how we spoke then. This is political correctness.”

I love this show. It’s brilliant that they didn’t make it an over serious drama. I imagine it’s hard to make anyone involved with Nixon “exciting”. Everything I know about him and his cabinet, outside of their crimes, they were little more than terribly boring and stuffy old bigots who grumbled a lot about “the kids” and “the blacks”. Oh, and “the disloyal jews”. So doing it straight might not have been the best way to go. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Lena Headey is by far the best thing in this show. And I like everyone very much, but she’s incredible. The show is brilliant.

So true... I just got caught up on this show over the weekend. Lena Headey is amazing in this but so is Justin Theroux. His performance is hilarious :lol:

• Halal 1

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So true... I just got caught up on this show over the weekend. Lena Headey is amazing in this but so is Justin Theroux. His performance is hilarious :lol:

The whole cast is incredible. Just every time Headey was on the screen, she stole the show.

• Halal 1

On 5/23/2023 at 8:10 PM, BloodyHell said:

https://spartacus-educational.com/JFKhuntD.htm

some background onthe Dorothy Hunt case. I definitely don’t know the validity of the conspiracy theories, but there is definitely a bunch of strange coincidences.

"James W. McCord claimed that Dorothy told him that at a meeting with her husband's attorney, William O. Buttmann, she revealed that Hunt had information that would "blow the White House out of the water"." :ohsnap:

Ok, I think that's a typo.  Though it remains to be seen if it was intentional or not.  Probably more FBI dirty tricks.  I found later reference to a "Bittman" and confirmed William Omar Bittman was a lawyer who prosecuted Hoffa and was involved with Watergate.

19 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I’ve watched the first couple episodes, and oh man Justin Theroux is FEASTING. He sounds like a guy doing a voice, which is perfect for the way he’s playing this maniac. 

The great part is that it's not too far removed from how G. Gordon Liddy actually sounded.

So wait, is this show over?

On 5/23/2023 at 8:10 PM, BloodyHell said:

some background onthe Dorothy Hunt case. I definitely don’t know the validity of the conspiracy theories, but there is definitely a bunch of strange coincidences.

Yeah there were a LOT of "strange coincidences" in the 50's, 60, and 70's :whistlin:

• Halal 1

Finally watched the last episode last night. I really enjoyed this series, and as was said above, I hope it’s remembered at awards season. The characters were incredible, the story was interesting, just a fun, well done series. The length was perfect too.

On 5/23/2023 at 10:10 PM, BloodyHell said:

Here's more info on the Hunt plane crash. 

1*0b-mSi_T7ibsvWXtftT6nw.png
ADMIRALCLOUDBERG.MEDIUM.COM

On the 8th of December 1972, a United Airlines Boeing 737 on approach to Chicago’s Midway Airport fell out of the sky and plowed into a…

The episode played fast and loose with the facts to lean in to the conspiracies:

It also turned out that the FBI was on scene before the NTSB because the Chicago Police Department had requested their assistance, and they didn’t know Dorothy Hunt was even on the plane until after they had already ruled out foul play, 20 hours after the accident.

6 hours ago, CayceG said:

Here's more info on the Hunt plane crash. 

1*0b-mSi_T7ibsvWXtftT6nw.png
ADMIRALCLOUDBERG.MEDIUM.COM

On the 8th of December 1972, a United Airlines Boeing 737 on approach to Chicago’s Midway Airport fell out of the sky and plowed into a…

The episode played fast and loose with the facts to lean in to the conspiracies:

I mean, it makes sense given Hunt was the primary POV character. 

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I mean, it makes sense given Hunt was the primary POV character. 

Right. From his POV it would seem like she was being used to shut him up, especially when they referenced another agent's wife being killed shortly before Dorothy's plane crash. And as I said earlier... there were a LOT of convenient coincidences like this happening in post world war 2 America in the 50's, 60's and 70's :whistlin::whistlin: