Would this be beneficial for my PS5?

Biggie

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Ok so my next question is this. If there is absolutely no difference between 2.0 and 2.1 why make a cable?

2.0 has a max bandwidth of 18Gb/s. While 2.1 has a max of 48Gb/s. The PS5 only outputs 32Gb/s. 

this means the PS5 capable of outputting way more than what the packaged in cable can handle. You won’t get 4K/120 with HDR using the packaged in cable. You will with an HDMI 2.1 cable. Along with VRR and RTX, and other features. 

27 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

There’s a huge difference between 2.0 and 2.1, your PS5 should have came with a 2.1 cable. Why do you think it’s a 2.0?

I remember people at launch noticing the cable didn’t say 2.1 on the PS5, but did on the Series X. When tested it was confirmed Sony was not packaging in 2.1 cables, but instead 2.0 cables. You know, because it’s what’s best for gamers. 

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I remember people at launch noticing the cable didn’t say 2.1 on the PS5, but did on the Series X. When tested it was confirmed Sony was not packaging in 2.1 cables, but instead 2.0 cables. You know, because it’s what’s best for gamers. 

When tested it was confirmed it is HDMI 2.1.

It's literally tested in that video. The confusion came from PS5 not having 48gbs HDMI out.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

When tested it was confirmed it is HDMI 2.1.

It's literally tested in that video. The confusion came from PS5 not having 48gbs HDMI out.

interesting. Ok then. Yeah and the Series X doesn’t either, capping at 40Gb/s, which I learned recently Thanks to having issues with an HDMI switch. 

I wonder if it’s that they are choosing to limit it, or are just not powerful enough to output a full 48. 

Well, @Biggie I may have been wrong. The packed in cable already being HDMI 2.1 there is no difference. Maybe that cable is just higher quality and longer. 

you definitely don’t need a PS5 branded cable. 

so yeah, you’re good. Don’t waste your money. If you ever need to get more 2.1 cables because you have to buy an HDMI switch because you don’t have enough 2.1 ports on your Tv, then you can get a new cable. But you can probably find just as good for cheaper. 

• Halal 1

interesting. Ok then. Yeah and the Series X doesn’t either, capping at 40Gb/s, which I learned recently Thanks to having issues with an HDMI switch. 

I wonder if it’s that they are choosing to limit it, or are just not powerful enough to output a full 48. 

LG limited their ports to 40GB/s as well on the CX and C1, the missing 8GB/s doesn't seem to affect anything, maybe the ability to go to 144hz, but 120hz VRR HDR/Dolby Vision at YCbCr444 12bit works at 40GB/s AFAIK (or maybe 444 is limited to 10bit at 40GB/s? I can't remember. Pretty-much all HDR is encoded for 8 or 10-bit so 12-bit isn't relevant tbh). PS5 was initially 32GB/s limited but was increased to 40GB/s when they enabled VRR.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m confused by what you mean, the included cable is hdmi 2.1, and his TV is fully hdmi 2.1 compliant.

Im probably confused. Is there a special HDMI port you need for 4k60hz or 4k120hz or something? In my head I was implying the cable may not matter as much if your tv doesn't also support whatever the latest and greatest is.

12 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Im probably confused. Is there a special HDMI port you need for 4k60hz or 4k120hz or something? In my head I was implying the cable may not matter as much if your tv doesn't also support whatever the latest and greatest is.

HDMI 2.0 is limited to 4k60hz, HDMI 2.1 is 4k120hz. His TV is an LG c9 which has 4x HDMI 2.1 ports, the PS5 packed-in cable is also 2.1 (as is the PS5's HDMI out). :sun:

• Halal 3

40 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Yeah, not all TVs have all HDMI 2.1 ports. Mine has 2 HDMI 2.1 (1 being the ARC/eARC port too) and 2 HDMI 2.0 cables. Any Tv that doesn’t claim 4K/120 support would not have any HDMI 2.1 ports, which isn’t the case with Buggie’s. 

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

LG limited their ports to 40GB/s as well on the CX and C1, the missing 8GB/s doesn't seem to affect anything, maybe the ability to go to 144hz, but 120hz VRR HDR/Dolby Vision at YCbCr444 12bit works at 40GB/s AFAIK (or maybe 444 is limited to 10bit at 40GB/s? I can't remember. Pretty-much all HDR is encoded for 8 or 10-bit so 12-bit isn't relevant tbh). PS5 was initially 32GB/s limited but was increased to 40GB/s when they enabled VRR.

I don’t think LG limits them any more in newer models. And if it was a firmware limitation they may have removed the limit on all TVs with HDMI 2.1. ports. 

If LG is still limiting them then my assumption for what my issues with an 8K HDMI 2.1 switch is incorrect and I just have no reason at all it will work fine with my Series X, but will not work with my PC when running games with HDR and other features enabled but the Tv itself will display fine when running direct without the switch. I assume it’s because my PC is outputting more than 40Gb/s and the HDMI switch, despite its claims is not outputting more than 40Gb/s. Definitely not 48Gb/s like advertised. 

• Halal 1

12 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I don’t think LG limits them any more in newer models. And if it was a firmware limitation they may have removed the limit on all TVs with HDMI 2.1. ports. 

Just CX and C1 like I stated. C9 had 4x 48GB/s and the C2 has 4x 48GB/s. It was a hardware thing, no idea why they did it as I cannot imagine it saved them much money :p 

What issues are you having with your switch?  (I'm not fully understanding from what you wrote)

lol jusssst in case there is any confusion I just want to confirm that using the provided ps5 cable I have tested and it 100% is 2.1 no question about it

@Biggie That cable is just longer, so you only would benefit if you are having trouble with the cable not reaching between your tv and the console.

If you are looking for something to improve your ps5 experience then more useful for you would be a kishi/backbone for your phone or one of those new android handhelds so you can play GT7 while watching sports and stuff.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

If you are looking for something to improve your ps5 experience then more useful for you would be a kishi/backbone for your phone or one of those new android handhelds so you can play GT7 while watching sports and stuff.

I tried the kishi v2 and sent it back, the analog sticks were SO bad, and I read the backbone ones were worse. Got this and I think it's a lot better:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BFJSVTTG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Analog sticks are full size

Also, the Kishi v2 couldn't fit my iPhone14 Pro Max with the case on, and barely fit it with the case off, this thing works with the case on no problem :angry-fap-small:

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Just CX and C1 like I stated. C9 had 4x 48GB/s and the C2 has 4x 48GB/s. It was a hardware thing, no idea why they did it as I cannot imagine it saved them much money :p 

What issues are you having with your switch?  (I'm not fully understanding from what you wrote)

just know every time I say switch I don’t mean the Nintendo flavor, but an HDMI 2.1 switch. Ok.

so the issue I’m having is I connected both my Series X and PC to the switch. All HDMI 2.1 cables going in and out. The Xbox displays fine with any game or app. At 4K/120 with HDR and VRR and whatever it can throw at it. My PC would display fine in Windows and some games. But if I turned on HDR it would act like no signal was getting to the Tv. Spider-Man would only show a black screen. But in both cases if I run HDMI from the PC directly to the TV instead, the image returns and displays properly. It’s like the switch is killing the signal or something at times and based on what is turned on on my PC. 

just know every time I say switch I don’t mean the Nintendo flavor, but an HDMI 2.1 switch. Ok.

so the issue I’m having is I connected both my Series X and PC to the switch. All HDMI 2.1 cables going in and out. The Xbox displays fine with any game or app. At 4K/120 with HDR and VRR and whatever it can throw at it. My PC would display fine in Windows and some games. But if I turned on HDR it would act like no signal was getting to the Tv. Spider-Man would only show a black screen. But in both cases if I run HDMI from the PC directly to the TV instead, the image returns and displays properly. It’s like the switch is killing the signal or something at times and based on what is turned on on my PC. 

What switch do you have? And to confirm, the HDMI cable from your PC is a 2.1 certified cable?

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

What switch do you have? And to confirm, the HDMI cable from your PC is a 2.1 certified cable?

yep, 2.1 cable. 

this switch

8K 60Hz HDMI 2.1 Switch 4x1 4K... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09STMC798?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

with these cables from my PC to switch and switch to Tv. Or like it is now, just PC to Tv. 
8K HDMI Cable 2.1 2-Pack 6.6FT,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091GWJPJ5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share 

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I tried the kishi v2 and sent it back, the analog sticks were SO bad, and I read the backbone ones were worse. Got this and I think it's a lot better:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BFJSVTTG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Analog sticks are full size

Also, the Kishi v2 couldn't fit my iPhone14 Pro Max with the case on, and barely fit it with the case off, this thing works with the case on no problem :angry-fap-small:

kishi did the job okay when it first came out but yeah there’s better options out now, I personally think the backbone is good. But idk if he has an android or iphone and I don’t think backbone is on android? The one you got is on android though so either way that one would work.

I could probably find my kishi and ship it to @Biggie if he was interested in trying it out then he could get a better one if he likes it - the problem with these though is I always had to take my case off that’s why something like those android handhelds or a deck is ideal for me.

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

yep, 2.1 cable. 

this switch

8K 60Hz HDMI 2.1 Switch 4x1 4K... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09STMC798?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

with these cables from my PC to switch and switch to Tv. Or like it is now, just PC to Tv. 
8K HDMI Cable 2.1 2-Pack 6.6FT,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091GWJPJ5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share 

What video card do you have? There's people in the reviews complaining about similar issues with a 3080 but it working fine on their PS5 and XSX

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

kishi did the job okay when it first came out but yeah there’s better options out now, I personally think the backbone is good. But idk if he has an android or iphone and I don’t think backbone is on android? The one you got is on android though so either way that one would work.

I could probably find my kishi and ship it to @Biggie if he was interested in trying it out then he could get a better one if he likes it - the problem with these though is I always had to take my case off that’s why something like those android handhelds or a deck is ideal for me.

I think the gamevice and kishi are available in both, but the backbone is iOS only, yea.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

What video card do you have? There's people in the reviews complaining about similar issues with a 3080 but it working fine on their PS5 and XSX

3070 Ti 

I saw those. And the ones like it on other switches that have either auto switching or IR remotes too. But not so much on switches that only switch with a button on the switch. It’s making me think that either the switches with IR receivers and remotes and/or auto switching don’t really support over 40Gb/s or there’s an issue with amps and it can’t power everything it’s trying to do at 48Gb/s. Which is kind of the same thing, but in a different way.