Are PC Specs Out of Control?

AbsolutSurgen

Headlines to articles like that when the answer is “no” are silly. I agree with both points though, this is what’s supposed to be happening as we cross into the new generation of hardware capability and also on the gpu side of things it’s unfortunate there isn’t really a good “1060 but for 2023” option yet. The only way I see that happening in the 4000 series is a 4050ti or something if that hits the mark of like a 3070, amd is just too far behind in RT.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Headlines to articles like that when the answer is “no” are silly. I agree with both points though, this is what’s supposed to be happening as we cross into the new generation of hardware capability and also on the gpu side of things it’s unfortunate there isn’t really a good “1060 but for 2023” option yet. The only way I see that happening in the 4000 series is a 4050ti or something if that hits the mark of like a 3070, amd is just too far behind in RT.

Those headlines are how they get the clicks.

We get complaints from folks whenever games start being targeted at "next gen" consoles.  I think we are there this year.

I wonder what will happen when games start requiring DirectStorage steaming and PCIe4 NVMe drives....

• True 1

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Those headlines are how they get the clicks.

We get complaints from folks whenever games start being targeted at "next gen" consoles.  I think we are there this year.

I wonder what will happen when games start requiring DirectStorage steaming and PCIe4 NVMe drives....

Or even just require a ssd period! I don’t think that’s happened yet, I can’t wait for the whining on that one that their 20 year old hard drive is no longer supported.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Or even just require a ssd period! I don’t think that’s happened yet, I can’t wait for the whining on that one that their 20 year old hard drive is no longer supported.

There are a couple (Dead Space has a Sata SSD as a minimum req, NVMe as recommended), but your point is 100% valid nevertheless.

• True 1

53 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Direct Storage :angry-fap-small:

That got me thinking. What is the next "big" thing in hardware? Back in the 90s, GPUs became a hot ticket thing, and games were hardware accelerated vs. Software. We've had many strides in trying to offload cycles off the CPU over the years, and now with DirectStorage, plus GPU decompression, we're further offloading resources from the CPU. 

I know in terms of gaming, I've been wanting next-level strides in terms of Physics, and A.I, so wonder if Neural Processors or something similar might have some use outside of machine learning, and into the gaming realm to help accelerate those processes into the next generation. 

EDIT: I guess technically nVidia's Tensor Cores do the same type of stuff, but what else could it be used for besides image upscaling, and frame interpolation? 

5 hours ago, stepee said:

Betteridge's law of headlines

• Thanks 2