Baten Kaitos Switch remasters out today, Monolith and Bandai-Namco joint project

crispy4000

On 2/10/2023 at 1:17 AM, Fizzzzle said:

It's a fucking great game. I don't think I'll get the remaster, just because I've played them so recently, but they were both criminally underrated when they came out. Mostly because of terrible voice acting.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that they didn't have voice actors re-record lines, so... it's still going to be bad. The voice acting is totally not necessary, though. You can't see characters' mouths move during cut scenes, for example.

To be fair, the voice acting was only terrible in the first game. They got actual professional actors for Baten Kaitos Origins. And...not for nothing...but the voice acting can be turned completely off if you choose. (I left them on during Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean because I wanted to hear how terrible the voices were, lulz)

• Halal 1

• 4 months later...
30 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Just to be clear given the thread title, is a remake also happening? These are clearly remasters. 

I'm pretty sure this is what the original article was talking about. It just so happens that the remake / remaster nomenclature is muddled.

• Halal 1

• 2 months later...
  • Pikachu changed the title to Baten Kaitos Switch remasters said to be in development, Monolith and Bandai-Namco joint project
  • crispy4000 changed the title to Baten Kaitos Switch remasters out today, Monolith and Bandai-Namco joint project
1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm definitely interested but will wait for reviews. And I hope this gets released on PC so we can add mods to it.

It won't be released on PC.  But yes, people will mod it there for the english VO. :p

Reviews are kind of pointless for these games IMO.  Unless they totally bungle the port job, it's the same deal as it was when they released.  They're underrated PS1-style RPG gems with some pacing issues, with creativity to make up for it.

• Hype 1

7 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It won't be released on PC.  But yes, people will mod it there for the english VO. :p

Reviews are kind of pointless for these games IMO.  Unless they totally bungle the port job, it's the same deal as it was when they released.  They're underrated PS1-style RPG gems with some pacing issues, with creativity to make up for it.

I meant I hope it eventually gets released to PC is what I should have said. :p And yeah I'm annoyed there isn't fixed English VO's for this game (half the reason the dub for the first game is bad is they gave the dub an echo quality to it to emulate the fact you're a ghost companion alongside the main character from what I understand, that could have been fixed maybe). 

As for reviews, yeah, I need to see them to see if the port job is bad is all, I already like the base games, but if this port isn't better then emulation than I'm not sure why I'd bother with this.

It hasn't been that long since I last played these games, so I probably won't buy it (on top of BG3 AND Starfield AND Sea of Stars AND New Tales and a billion other things coming out right now), but the combat system in the first game is so much fun. Second game... eh... Too much RNGesus. I'm not a big fan.