Electoral Count Reform Act, crafted as response to Jan. 6, to get vote this week

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Just to make it clear this only raises the bar for objections. They still need a legislative majority to sustain the objections. And nothing can overrule that (through legal means)

I should say: including this law! Congress can’t create a law that restrains a future congress! It would still take a majority to do so however

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Just to make it clear this only raises the bar for objections. They still need a legislative majority to sustain the objections. And nothing can overrule that (through legal means)

Correct, this change to 1/5th is about stopping a couple of doofuses from gumming up the works. You now need over 100 doofuses to do it, and as noted, you always needed a majority to do something about the challenges.

8 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

“good” I suppose, but like all laws im sure theres a blind spot where they will say  “screw” it and overrule it with whatever nonsense they feel like playing… it is the basis by which the Supreme Court has been re-interpreting the law

There will always be people looking to find holes to poke at. That is how we got to the issues on January 6th with the pressure campaign against Pence. Some law nerd combed through the previous law and figured out that there were some vague bits that could be interpreted in such a way to allow some real shenanigans. The updated law, from my reading of the proposed language, is much tighter.

50 minutes ago, TyphoidHater said:

I was attempting to mollify TUFKAK

I literally just figured out that I wasn't replying to TUFKAK.

GET A PROFILE PIC AT LEAST ONE OF YOU 

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Correct, this change to 1/5th is about stopping a couple of doofuses from gumming up the works. You now need over 100 doofuses to do it, and as noted, you always needed a majority to do something about the challenges.

There will always be people looking to find holes to poke at. That is how we got to the issues on January 6th with the pressure campaign against Pence. Some law nerd combed through the previous law and figured out that there were some vague bits that could be interpreted in such a way to allow some real shenanigans. The updated law, from my reading of the proposed language, is much tighter.

It’s a good change; now we just need actual electoral reform which… I’ll just be happy with this for now. :p 

Also, all that working out buffman shit, and my ass of all people broke TUFKAK.

14 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

$858B in defense funding is bananas.

Imagine what we could do with that money going towards enriching the lives and health of our citizens.

Oh well. Anyway, this is a good baby step, but personally I'd prefer the complete removal of the electoral college. Just go by popular vote.

• Halal 1