Sporting events/achievements you remember EXACTLY where you were when they happened.

CastletonSnob

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

James "Buster" Douglas putting Mike Tyson on the canvas of the Tokyo Dome in the 10th round in February 1990 is the one that I'll remember to my dying day.

Absolutely NOBODY gave Douglas a chance. 

The Red Sox and Cubs FINALLY winning a World Series has to be up there.

Joe Carter’s winning World Series Home Run. I was watching in the basement with my dad in his chair and me lying in his basement bed (shift work had him napping now and then) When he hit that ball, we were yelling and I was fist pumping/jumping with excitement. We woke my mom up and she came down to tell us to be quieter, but had to let her know Joe won it for us.

Jose Bautista home run against the Rangers is special too. My dad just had his cancerous growth removed, got to bring him up to my bedroom projector setup to relax on my brothers bed to watch that series decider. I was sitting up in my bed and he was lying down and looked comfy but tired. The home run I think was so special (and just dawning on me and my stoner mind now) because it was the above scene all over again, but in reverse.

I wish I were up when K. Leonard sunk the 76er’s in the playoffs. I remember looking at my iPad with game tied and only having the blip of time left on the clock. I said they’ll just blow it in overtime. Then the horns started blasting everywhere and then I just saw replay after replay of “The Shot” I also miss the moment we won the championship but THAT PARADE was something else.

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

Joe Carter’s winning World Series Home Run. I was watching in the basement with my dad in his chair and me lying in his basement bed (shift work had him napping now and then) When he hit that ball, we were yelling and I was fist pumping/jumping with excitement. We woke my mom up and she came down to tell us to be quieter, but had to let her know Joe won it for us.

Same situation for me, too. I watched it live with my brother and dad and we went crazy. 

• Hugs 1

Game 7 of the Blazers/Lakers WCF in 2000.

I remember that day well. After going down 3-1, the Blazers won games 5 and 6 going into the Staples Center for game 7. The Pacers had already won their series in the ECF. It was agreed by pretty much everyone that whoever won between the Blazers and Lakers would fucking smoke the Pacers, so this game was essentially for the championship (spoiler: The Pacers actually did end up winning 2 games against the Lakers)

A few weeks prior, my mom had won tickets to this new fangled artsy-fartsy show called "Cirque du'Soleil," which was setting up in Portland for the first time. This was far before we knew there would be a game 7 of the WCF between the Blazers and Lakers. I pleaded with my mom to give up the tickets and let us stay home and watch the game. She said "no." My brother begged her, she said "no." My dad got down on his hands and knees, "PLEASE, WOMAN, CAN WE WATCH THE FUCKING GAME!" ... she said "no. We are going to Cirque du'Soleil." It probably didn't help that my dad was cheating on her at the time and she knew about it, so she took a sick pleasure in depriving him of the game.

Tip off was right before the show started. We were all sitting there in this fucking tent underneath a bridge in downtown Portland, seething. 30 minutes go by and I can't help but think "I wonder how the Blazers are doing? Is Scottie Pippen putting Kobe and his stupid afro in place? Is Rasheed Wallace abusing the fact that no one can guard him when Arvydas Sabonis is on the floor to neutralize Shaq? Is Brian Grant a secret weapon to fuck shit up because the Lakers have no depth?" ... I had no answers to these questions.

Circumstances would change on the fate of a bladder.

My older brother, ever the wee-bladdered sissy of a man, kept having to get up to pee. This was annoying, as by this point I had resigned myself to my fate and actually was getting interested in the acrobatic talents of exploited Romanian teenagers. After about the 4th time he got up to pee, he came back and whispered some magic words into my ear... "a guy in the men's bathroom has a radio."

Immediately, I got up to pee. I stormed into that bathroom, and lo and behold, there's this sad looking soon-to-be divorcee in a newsboy cap leaning against one of the sinks with a radio tuned to the game. There are at least 6 or 7 other dudes in there, just casually standing around, not looking at each other, deeply concentrating. 

I realized I couldn't stay in the bathroom and listen to the game for long, so I went back down to my seat, by which point my brother had told my dad of the news. My dad immediately got up and went. We proceeded to play a game of whack-a-mole for the next 45 minutes, each relaying to each other the news as we came back to our seats.

After the first half was over, it was a close game, but the Blazers were ahead. Then the third quarter started and BOOM! The Blazers went on like a 22-3 run (this was back when they didn't score so many points). They were fucking unstoppable. Rasheed Wallace was going off, Kobe was bricking left and right, Shaq was being bottled up, the game looked like it was in the bag.

Into the 4th quarter, with only about 10 minutes left in the game, the Blazers were up by 20 points. I could fucking taste the championship. I went back to my seat, confident in my knowledge that Portland was going to see its first NBA championship in my lifetime. I zoned out and watched some dudes crawl over each other or whatever, fully content.

It wasn't until we got back to the car, immediately tuned on the AM sports radio station to hear the jubilant cries of the sportscasters that we heard... the Blazers fucking LOST?!? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?

The Blazers got outscored something like 29-6 in the last 9 minutes.  A lot of people from Portland will blame the refs for it, but I don't. People who blame refs for losses are fucking idiots 99.9999% of the time, and this is one of those times. They have no fucking clue what they're talking about. In reality, a few of the guys probably got complacent, Scottie Pippen got exhausted, and in the footage that I watched afterward, Rasheed Wallace looked like a fucking deer in headlights in the final minutes.  It was a full on collapse of epic proportions.

So anyway, I never went to cirque du'soleil again. 

• Halal 1