If you haven't seen Nocturnal Animals and have Netflix, it's a worthy movie to catch with an ending that sticks with me weeks later

SaysWho?

This movie was one my girlfriend picked out on Netflix when we saw the trailer and read the description. And about a minute or two into the movie, I said, "...why are we watching this?" Because it starts so, sooooo strangely. 

But if you can just expect a weird beginning, the movie's seriously worth it. It's directed by Tom Ford, who's only directed one other film (A Single Man). I never saw that film, so I didn't know what to expect from this one. The premise is that you meet this woman Susan, who is an art gallery owner, and she receives the manuscript of a novel from a man with whom she was married. Up until this point, this movie doesn't at all seem like a thriller, which is its genre, but her reading of this manuscript is the thriller part as seen from the clip above. That whole scene actually lasts a long time, much longer than those two clips, and is carried by the creepiness of the guys in the other car and the tension and dialogue throughout. And when I say tension, I mean tense.

Most of the movie is about the manuscript, but the girl in question reading it does see parallels between the movie and her life. I won't talk about the exact parallels, but both her story and the story her ex-husband wrote culminate in a terrific ending, carried by Amy Adams. She acts her ass off. Shiiiiiiit.

If you like thrillers with a neo-noir atmosphere, I suggest watching this. If you're like me and aren't big into romantic angles to a story, I think this film's romantic angles won't turn you off; I'm not big into watching romance movies, but the relationship between Susan and her old husband and why they're no longer together is great, and it's paramount to the overall story.

• Thanks 2