I truly don’t understand the ~mediocre as hell~ white people who think they deserve to get into an elite school, and then get profiles in the Wall Street fucking journal

https://www.wsj.com/articles/to-get-into-the-ivy-league-extraordinary-isnt-always-enough-these-days-11650546000

3.95 GPA?

1550 SAT?

Mid as hell. My wife’s high school was pumping out more 4.0 students than went to my entire high school. 

you’re not special, you’re just like the other literally 95+% of applicants to these colleges. Get over it, you didn’t need a write up in the WSJ blaming low income kids and minorities and enjoy your time at…Arizona state on an academic scholarship. 

Because they've been told their whole lives that Black and Brown people and Jews are the reason they aren't where they are SUPPOSED to be in life. Somebody once told me that certain segments of the population don't want equal treatment... they want preferential treatment. Affirmative action is an imperfect attempt at addressing the inherent inequalites and biases in this country. It tries  to balance the scales a bit... it's not, nor could it, lead to the replacement of white people as the dominant force and drivers of this country. Right Wing media would tell you the opposite is true.

• True 2

I took CAD classes in high school and have been gainfully employed since I was 19, without stepping foot on a four-year campus. I didn’t even finish my associates at CC before I landed a job drafting for Toyota. I’ve never been out of a job longer than three weeks at a time.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Uaarkson said:

I took CAD classes in high school and have been gainfully employed since I was 19, without stepping foot on a four-year campus. I didn’t even finish my associates at CC before I landed a job drafting for Toyota. I’ve never been out of a job longer than three weeks at a time.

And conversely I spent 8 years in college doing random ass degrees and have had a pretty dope and successful product manager career without ever ever having to use my degrees. Granted a lot of the liberal arts skills do transfer over well (researching, analysis, rhetoric, presentation). 

Academia has historically not been a system for employment and somehow we forced it into one. 

• Halal 1

54 minutes ago, Comet said:

And conversely I spent 8 years in college doing random ass degrees and have had a pretty dope and successful product manager career without ever ever having to use my degrees. Granted a lot of the liberal arts skills do transfer over well (researching, analysis, rhetoric, presentation). 

Academia has historically not been a system for employment and somehow we forced it into one. 

Captialism perverts everything. Look at our sports. What should be recreation is a multi-billion dollar industry. Compare the NFL's talent pipeline to soccer. In soccer kids will play for an academy or the academy of a local club. It's free and can be an activity like our child sports are but there is a point where if you are good enough the club will sign you. You will progress in their system and if you are good enough you will actually get signed and paid to play for them. Ultimate goal being of making it to the first team or atleast developing enough that you can continue your career at another club. Not only do you help yourself but you help the club because as long as there is a transfer fee (not entirely sure if you signing for a club as a free agent) your original club will get a solidarity payment. 

While here with the NFL. College/High School football do that. Plus with college since it's basically a 2nd division the games can be monitized. Though I know local channels might air HS games of the top local football teams. 

13 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

Harvard isn't even better than a state school. They literally teach the same shit and use the same course books. The only good thing Ivy schools are good for are making connections aka maintaining the good ol boys network. 

And prestige. Connections and prestige. For some reason, some people go googly eyed when you mention Harvard/Yale/etc

29 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

The real big brained people take their GEs at a community college, transfer to a state 4 year and then go to a "prestigious" college for grad school.

the state of ohio used to (still does? idk don't live there anymore) let you take GE classes at a university for HS and college credit for free. If I had reliable transportation I could have done it, I was signed up for classes and everything, but the nearest in state university or CC was 45 mins away.