Mere factual innocence is no reason to not carry out a death sentence properly reached

"We recognize that it may seem unduly formalistic or unfair to foreclose the trial court from considering a postconviction claim that is based on DNA testing that the state itself procured. But it is the prerogative of the General Assembly, not this court, to set the terms by which an offender may pursue postconviction relief."

So basically they're going with, "we get that this is messed up, but the way the law is written our hands are tied".

2 hours ago, Slug said:

"We recognize that it may seem unduly formalistic or unfair to foreclose the trial court from considering a postconviction claim that is based on DNA testing that the state itself procured. But it is the prerogative of the General Assembly, not this court, to set the terms by which an offender may pursue postconviction relief."

So basically they're going with, "we get that this is messed up, but the way the law is written our hands are tied".

Ah yes, leave it up to the Ohio General Assembly, I'm sure this will be a much higher priority than virtue signaling to MAGA bumpkins and working out ways to do a Householder without ending up like Householder.

• True 1

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

A friend of mine is working on a case in New Orleans RIGHT NOW where a man has been locked up for 30 years and it came out that there was corruption on the part of the cops and prosecutors at the time and he SHOULD get out but the Cops and victim's advocates are fighting against it. 

I don't get why the cops are fighting against it. Everyone involved in that case is probably long-since retired or dead. Who are they protecting?

It's another reason why I'm also in support of the death penalty only in theory. Like, there are some crimes people can commit that make me go "yup, I think that person should just be permanently removed from society," but as we see, the justice system is a human system, and as such, it fucks up all the time. You can always let someone out if prison with a "whoopsie! Here's some money to make up for the time you'll never get back!" 

Unless they die in prison from neglect, Like this one guy in Florida who broke his neck, the guards didn't believe him, so he starved to death because he couldn't reach his meal trays. Yeah, that happened.

43 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I don't get why the cops are fighting against it. Everyone involved in that case is probably long-since retired or dead. Who are they protecting?

They're protecting the badge. I honestly don't think the crazy tribalism works for cops all the time, but in nearly every case it seems police will viciously fight any charges or consequences from police corruption or misconduct, even when the facts are not in doubt and no one is left to be punished.

Personally, I think in today's climate that cops would be better served by aggressively policing their own, but that's never the way it seems to go.

• True 1