Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - "Eddy Gordo - Gameplay Reveal" trailer

Commissar SFLUFAN

4 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

So is this like the cool anime fighters that have a story line? The waifus seem cool but I don't particularly care about getting 1337 in fighting games barring smash.

It's not an anime fighter but cool storyline, sure!

It's got an assist mode so you don't have to get 1337. Tekken generally has good single player content so you might worry about getting 1337 even less.

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's not an anime fighter but cool storyline, sure!

It's got an assist mode so you don't have to get 1337. Tekken generally has good single player content so you might worry about getting 1337 even less.

Do any other fighting games fall into this category? I generally like the idea of playing vs friends or fam for fighting games. So like the new MKs with their enjoyable SP stories work for me. I know the various Arc System games would but I wouldn't know where to start with Blazblue for example.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Do any other fighting games fall into this category?

Are you asking if there are non-anime fighting games with cool storylines? Like you said MK is probably the cream of the crop. Tekken's stories are generally an important part of the game but if you're asking about anything recently not really. Guilty Gear has a "story mode" that is like 8 hours long or something but you don't play it. That being said it's on Game Pass so if you want to look at story mode for no cost you can do that right now. :p

21 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Are you asking if there are non-anime fighting games with cool storylines? Like you said MK is probably the cream of the crop. Tekken's stories are generally an important part of the game but if you're asking about anything recently not really. Guilty Gear has a "story mode" that is like 8 hours long or something but you don't play it. That being said it's on Game Pass so if you want to look at story mode for no cost you can do that right now. :p

Fighters in general. Like I don't play Melty Blood more because it has/had a barebones SP mode. Arc is a waifu so yes I'd like to pwn noobs with her but I'd pay just the SP if the narrative is good enough.

9 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Fighters in general. Like I don't play Melty Blood more because it has/had a barebones SP mode. Arc is a waifu so yes I'd like to pwn noobs with her but I'd pay just the SP if the narrative is good enough.

Yeah well like I said unfortunately other than Tekken and MK fighting games have been bare bones for a while. Your best bet is SF6 coming in June, it looks to have a lot of features and an interesting story / adventure mode. They're going in on this one. And it will have an assist mode or simple input mode as well.

4117341-8723917652-TEKKE.jpg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Our hands-on preview showed that Tekken 8's gameplay mechanics open up a new layer of depth for the series' tried-and-true 3D fighting.

When Tekken 8 was revealed, my first thought was, "What could Bandai Namco possibly do to make another Tekken feel new?" That's not an indictment of the series, but rather a testament to how great Tekken 7 has been for the past eight years (or six years if we're talking about its console release). Tekken 7 is a pillar of the fighting game community for a reason; it's the most refined the 3D fighter has ever been, and there's just nothing quite like some good-ass Tekken.

Even so, there's always room to evolve, and after getting a few hours of hands-on time with a preview build of Tekken 8, it became immediately clear how it can take the franchise in a bold new direction. It still has its diverse set of characters, each with their own unique fighting style and deep moveset, and it's even prettier thanks to improved visual fidelity and eye-catching flourishes that are made possible by the latest generation of consoles. That freshness I'm talking about, however, lies primarily in the core gameplay mechanics, specifically the Heat system and Special Style, as well as smaller changes that reward aggressive play.

tekken8firstpreview-blogroll-16799542172
WWW.IGN.COM

After about four hours of hands-on time, we walked away extremely impressed. Find out more in our first Tekken 8 preview.

I want to give a shoutout to Tekken 8’s command list too, which does a great job of giving some extra context to the recommended moves for every character. It told me recommended combos, moves to use that are advantageous on block, what moves will launch an opponent, what to do after launching them, what to do after activating heat mode, and much more. These movelists are extremely intimidating, with them each containing hundreds of techniques, and Bandai Namco is really putting in the effort by making them much more user friendly.

After my playtime was over, I left with a renewed enthusiasm to get into Tekken on a more serious level. Tekken 8 looks phenomenal, its hits feel as impactful as ever, and its iconic cast of characters are even more uniquely defined thanks to the new Heat system. There’s still a lot we have yet to see, but as far first impressions go, Tekken 8 is a knockout.

vRXiCG64d8qrrEfi2ApXTV-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Preview | With a focus on "aggressive" gameplay, Tekken 8 brings the heat

Last week, fighters from all over the world assembled to throw down. I'm not referring to Tekken 8 itself, though due to its stunning realism you'd be forgiven for making that mistake.  The game's global debut in Lyon, France saw press and creators alike globetrotting to spend hours cracking each other's skulls in-game just ahead of the fighter's appearance at EVO Japan 2023. Exclusive to current-gen consoles and PC, Bandai Namco's latest offers terrific fisticuffs that's moving the genre ahead in exciting new directions, and is a stupendously fun way to butt heads with other players match after match.

Having revisited Tekken 7 in preparation for the event (hey, I wasn't going to embarrass myself come match day), the difference between the previous iteration and Tekken 8 is night and day from the outset. Visually, Tekken 8 is bathed in a kind of hyperrealism, whether that's Marshall Law flexing his muscles both in his pre-fight intro and during one of his many punishing grabs –  flaming sparks flying off Jin Kazama as his combo finishers briefly untether his latent, demonic abilities; or how his mother, Jun Kazama (featured here in her first appearance since Tekken 2), elegantly animates through twisting, turning, flowing combos that look as much like a traditional dance as the shin shatter-ers they are.

tekken8-key-art-HD-scaled.jpg
WCCFTECH.COM

Onsite at Bandai Namco's California offices, Wccftech got their first taste of Tekken 8 gameplay with the first hands-on impressions on PS5.

As Michael Murray discussed in his opening reveals of gameplay content to Tekken 8, he made sure to emphasize the desire for an aggressive battle system where both the battle system itself and even visual expressions could be overhauled. The fundamental changes in that search for a more aggressive playstyle were because of the importance for both the two players engaged in close-quarters combat and also that of the spectators watching the match in progress. By implementing smarter visual cues and exciting battle moments, Bandai Namco hopes to make Tekken 8 easier to understand for the average player and become more of a spectator sport.

The changes to visual design aren’t the only major ones coming to Tekken 8 (Paul Phoenix’s change in hairstyle remains another obvious change). All new comeback mechanics and ways to press the advantage are coming to Tekken 8 by way of a system that evolved from the Rage system introduced in Tekken 6. The addition of recoverable or white gauge health may be new to mainline Tekken (not counting the red health from the Tekken Tag Tournament spinoff) but has been a common feature in Street Fighter titles for more than two decades among other signature fighting game entries. By having a chunk of life that automatically recovers (either from blocking certain moves or aerial juggles) until either filled to the maximum value or ended prematurely by eating a fist to the face, it promotes a shift into playing defensively for that brief moment.

TEKKEN-8-PREVIEW-HEADER.jpg
PRESS-START.COM.AU

TEKKEN 8 Hands-On Preview – Feel the Heat

There’s a lot of weight resting on the shoulders of TEKKEN 8 after 7’s rampant success. Accounting for almost one fifth of franchise-wide sales with a staggering 10 million units sold, TEKKEN 7 marked a turning point for the series as it became more mainstream then ever. It’s a daunting performance to follow up, which is precisely the reason why TEKKEN 8 isn’t playing it safe.

Thanks to Bandai Namco Entertainment, we’ve been lucky enough to go hands-on with TEKKEN 8 to see how these changes pan out for ourselves. After two hours of cramming in as many VS Battles as possible, I’ve come away from TEKKEN 8 excited to play more. From Michael Murray’s opening keynote to getting my hands on the controller, it’s clear that aggression is the name of the game in TEKKEN 8.

tekken-8-preview-1.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Bandai Namco are going big and bold in Tekken's most brutal entry yet.

Brutal, visceral, aggressive. Like a hype-man, Bandai Namco wants to make the right first impression with Tekken 8. But questions remain for longtime fans of the series, who adore the pomp and grandeur of its characters and story arcs, and get a kick from its irresistible mix of majestic backdrops – all that King of Iron Fist and Mishima stuff – and anarchic silliness (yes, we’re looking at you Kuma, Panda, Gon, etc).

It’s been five years since Tekken 7 arrived on home consoles, and eight since it first hit Japanese arcades. Much of that entry was gated behind paid DLC while its story and arcade mode seemed thin. In my time spent playing Tekken 8, doubts remained about the “full package” as Harada referred to what the mainstream players looked for – as opposed to the esports fighters. But despite all this, the look, feel, and sound of the combat in Tekken 8 left me feeling both satisfied and hungry for more.

tekken-8-interview.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

"It's my favourite character so I was shocked."

Bandai Namco is pulling out the stops for Tekken 8. Armed with a bigger budget than for the previous entry, the series has come a long way, and its executive producer Katsuhiro Harada has been a part of it since the PS1 days.

TheGamer sat down with Harada and producer (and interview translator) Michael Murray, for an interview at Bandai Namco’s European HQ, where we got a day’s hands-on with the new game. Tekken might have Guinness World Records for longest running 3D fighting game series and longest running video game storyline, but Harada knows the humble beginnings from which it sprang.

3-2._heat_engager_-_5.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

We go hands-on with Tekken 8 and chat with executive producer Katsuhiro Harada and producer Michael Murray.

Tekken 8 brings forward many of its predecessor's successful conventions and mechanics but does so in a way that forges its own identity. "[Due to Tekken 7's success], it becomes very hard to make changes to the game for the next installment," executive producer Katsuhiro Harada says. "You know that if you're going to add a different number to the end of it, you have to make some big changes, but it's very hard because you don't know if it's going to be in the direction that people will want you to go. It's very difficult in that regard. [Because of that] we can't really use any of the learnings of Tekken 7 because you have to make it something different that people don't expect. So, there aren't really any learnings; you have to take your knowledge of the game and use that as a guide of, 'What might they like?'"

Harada and his team settled on a theme based on aggression to differentiate this version. While players can still block and sidestep incoming attacks, Tekken 8 does its best to encourage players to go on the offensive. This is not only to create a more frenetic, offensive experience for players but a more visually appealing spectator sport for people watching streamers or tournaments like Evo.

_3863243b.jpg
WWW.GAMEREACTOR.EU

We've spent some time with the fighting game as part of a trip to Bandai Namco's Lyon headquarters.

Gamereactor went to Lyon last week where I visited Bandai Namco, played an early version of Tekken 8 and also met and interviewed Katsuhiro Harada. Before the digital melee started, I also got a brief presentation by producer Michael Murray who clarified some of what has already been said earlier, namely that Tekken 8 is about aggression. They have tried to achieve this in different ways, where perhaps the most distinctive is "Heat". However, the developers have more tricks up their sleeves, such as the fact that the only way to regain some life is to make perfect blocks or deal out some serious blows.

tekken8preview.jpg
HARDCOREGAMER.COM

It is amazing just how well the Tekken series has stood the test of time. The series has been around for 28 years and has thrived on being the best at 3D

It is amazing just how well the Tekken series has stood the test of time. The series has been around for 28 years and has thrived on being the best at 3D combat, something that was on full display with Tekken 7. The longest-running 3D fighting game franchise and holder of the Guinness Book of World Records title with the longest-running video game storyline, Tekken 8 will be taking the baton and running things going forward. The direction of the series with what was shown at a recent preview event is mind-blowing and addicting to the point where going back to Tekken 7 after the fact felt disappointing despite it being the best the series has seen.

There are changes with Tekken 8 that are worth noting and it starts at the core. For the first time, the game will not be released as an arcade cabinet prior to release. This game will be no arcade port, but rather built from the ground up on the Unreal 5 Engine for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series and PC. This is showed off in the visuals as environmental lighting and textures look to be miles above any other game in the series, and overall potentially some of the best visuals period. The battle concept and the direction of battle are the other main driving force for Tekken 8. It brings thoughts of when John Cena came out against Kurt Angle and declared the start of the Ruthless Aggression era in WWE, as the aggression is the goal in the fights and the feeling was oh-so-satisfying.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (Playstation 5/Xbox Series/PC, 202?) - multiple hands-on previews articles/videos posted
TEKKEN-8-—-Jin-Kazama-Gameplay-Trailer-0
TKNGMR.COM

Katsuhiro Harada and Michael Murray talk about the current state of Tekken 8.

However, in a recent interview with German gaming site CerealKillerz, Tekken 8’s producers Katsuhiro Harada and Michael Murray revealed that they are not entirely happy with the current state of the game’s graphics. Specifically when talking about developing the game in Unreal Engine 5, Murray stated that while most game companies can achieve high-quality textures and shaders, what really sets games apart this generation is the lighting. This has been a significant challenge for Tekken 8’s development team to fine-tune, and even the alpha build that some players have had a chance to test hasn’t met the producers’ standards.

Murray added that it’s not just a matter of adjusting one piece of lighting, but rather placing each light individually to achieve the desired look and feel for each character on each stage. It’s not about adjusting one piece of lighting that affects a whole stage, but fine-tuning the placement individual lights to get the look and feel they desire. He went on to say that they may achieve having a character look just how they want them to look on a particular stage and its environment, but when placing them in a different stage, they don’t look at all how they want them to. He says lighting is one thing they will continue to work on continually until the release of the game, and that it’s “been difficult” this time around.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (Playstation 5/Xbox Series/PC, 202?) - Lili Reveal & Gameplay Trailer
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (Playstation 5/Xbox Series/PC, 202?) - Hwoarang reveal & gameplay trailer
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PlayStation 5/Xbox Series/PC, 202?) - Bryan Fury reveal & gameplay trailer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PlayStation 5/Xbox Series/PC, 202?) - registration for Closed Network Test available for PS5 (July 21-24) and PS5/Xbox Series/PC (July 28-31)
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 202?) - registration for Closed Network Test available for PS5 (July 21-24) and PS5/Xbox Series/PC (July 28-31)
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 202?) - "Claudio Serafino" reveal and gameplay trailer
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 202?) - "Raven" and "Azucena" reveal and gameplay trailers
  • 3 weeks later...
tekken-8-kazuya.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Tekken 8’s release date has appeared online.

According to reliable leaker Aggiornamenti Lumia, who scrapes the backend of various digital storefronts to find release information, Tekken 8 will be released on January 26, 2024.

The news is the latest in a series of apparent leaks regarding the upcoming fighting game. Earlier this week, Tekken director Katsuhiro Harada tweeted: “I’m aware that there are some minor information leaks. They contain old information that has already been changed or deleted.

“Not only that, but the source of the leaks has been mostly identified. The information that is currently leaked is only given to organisations that dare to be involved in debugging and localization.

“The next leak will identify the individual leaker (we have set up different parts of the ROM for every organization (internal as well as external) and line within the development, and this will work in the future).”

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 26 January 2024?) - digital storefront backend data indicates 26 January 2024 release
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 26 January 2024) - "Release Date & Exclusive Content" trailer
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 26 January 2024) - "Feng & Closed Beta Test Reveal" trailer