Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - "Season 1" trailer

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

How many bloody characters does this game have anyway?!?

I think there are 2 more left to be shown but Biggie is right with 32.

The two left are Lee and Devil Jin. Perhaps revealed today because it's the last day of the Tekken World Tour, and the last day you'll see Tekken 7 played professionally. :rose:

So help me understand the appeal of fighting games. You play and beat the story mode or whatever and then what? Play online? Back in the day having a fighting game was nice to have when friends came over. Now as adults do you rely on online to keep the game fresh? 

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

So help me understand the appeal of fighting games. You play and beat the story mode or whatever and then what? Play online? Back in the day having a fighting game was nice to have when friends came over. Now as adults do you rely on online to keep the game fresh? 

Casual appeal is the story mode and other modes. The wider appeal is fighting other people.

But it has a story mode and an "arcade quest" mode which is more single player content and they brought back Tekken ball

Online is pretty important these days which is why a lot of recent games have put emphasis on putting rollback netcode in their game (this game has had like 3 betas) so the game won't be ass online. Tekken 7 was pretty iffy online.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Casual appeal is the story mode and other modes. The wider appeal is fighting other people.

But it has a story mode and an "arcade quest" mode which is more single player content and they brought back Tekken ball

Online is pretty important these days which is why a lot of recent games have put emphasis on putting rollback netcode in their game (this game has had like 3 betas) so the game won't be ass online. Tekken 7 was pretty iffy online.

Nice they are making sure online is rock solid. 

18 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I enjoy playing thru each characters story line. From there I usually know which ones I’m good with and enjoy. I’ll play a little online but those players usually kick my ass. 

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

I enjoy playing thru each characters story line. From there I usually know which ones I’m good with and enjoy. I’ll play a little online but those players usually kick my ass. 

So how many hours do you get out of the game?

I don’t know why but this release has been brutal waiting for it even though it’s not even my favorite 3D fighter! I think because it’s been so long since a real 3D fighter has released period. And this entry just looks particularly good. But wtf is it sooo late in Jan ugh.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 26 January 2024) - "Opening Movie & DLC Announcement" trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 26 January 2024) - "OFFICIAL LAUNCH TRAILER"
49 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I know there is on PS5 but I’m assuming you are going with PC?

Yeah and actually I forgot I’ll have to wait for the key from cdkeys which might not be until the morning it comes out anyway. Still worth it to get the Ultimate edition for the price of the regular edition.

8 hours ago, stepee said:

Yeah and actually I forgot I’ll have to wait for the key from cdkeys which might not be until the morning it comes out anyway. Still worth it to get the Ultimate edition for the price of the regular edition.

I’ll probably just get the standard version. I just like playing thru the characters story. What exactly does the ultimate come with?

39 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’ll probably just get the standard version. I just like playing thru the characters story. What exactly does the ultimate come with?

Deluxe Edition: Season 1 Character pass, Gold costumes for every character and your avatar character I think.

Ultimate: Stuff from the Deluxe plus the classic Tekken T-Shirt for all characters and your avatar and you get an avatar skin for Jin, Jun and Kazuya

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 26 January 2024) - "Everyday Competition" trailer featuring Karl-Anthony Towns and Mike Conley Jr.

Watched the story recap video to get prepped for it. I wasn’t super familiar with the lore here and oh my is it bat shit insane! I loved the top comment in the video I watched: “‘A friend asked me to describe Tekken in five words or less and I said, "Just the worst dads.’”

• Hype 1

Game Information

Game Title: Tekken 8

Platforms:

• PC (Jan 25, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Jan 25, 2024)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Jan 25, 2024)

Developer: Bandai Namco Studios Inc.

Publisher: Bandai Namco Entertainment

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 90 average - 98% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

3DNews - Иван Бышонкoв - Russian - 10 / 10

Tekken 8 has made as many changes as the series has not seen, perhaps, from the fifth part. Many aspects have been redesigned, and new mechanics allow you to act as aggressively as possible. Add a considerable number of modes, chic training tools and stable online - and get the perfect fighting game.

Cinelinx - Caleb Gayle - 5 / 5

Tekken 8 has arrived and brings all that gamers love about the franchise, while adding some fun new elements that help it stand out in a crowded genre.

Digital Chumps - Will Silberman - 10 / 10

I’m going to assume that most Tekken fans are no longer on the fence after seeing the overwhelmingly positive coverage of Tekken 8 over the last few weeks. Truth be told – Tekken 8 has earned that praise and more. Its immersive combat is fluid, cinematic, yet visceral. It sticks to its serious yet goofy roots through utilizing imaginative character archetypes and flat-out silly character customization. Its Special Style dramatically simplifies Tekken 8’s combat for new players to get them up to speed against series veterans like me. If you’re new to the series, Tekken 8 is the fighting game you should play this year. If you’re still deciding between which fighting game to play this year, Tekken 8’s combat and mechanics are the most satisfying yet. I highly recommend Tekken 8 – it’s helped 2024 start off on the right foot.

Downtime Bros - Joe Harby - 10 / 10

Tekken 8 is the pinnacle of the series. There has never been a better Tekken and few fighting games could be considered this good. It is an absolute treat for fans, both old and new, and I can’t see myself putting it down for years to come. I have scarcely enjoyed any game on PS5 this much.

Eurogamer - Lewis Parker - 5 / 5

Tekken 8 is a marked improvement over Tekken 7 and a perfectly executed balancing act, keeping older players happy while revealing its trademark freedom to newcomers.

Expansive - Brad Baker - 5 / 5

Tekken 8 is one of the most satisfying fighters I’ve ever had the privilege of playing. It opens new doors for players who’ve previously been intimidated by the genre or have never been able to play them before, it has a fantastic fight feel to the combat where everyone has a fighting chance, there’s a huge variety of modes that have lastability and continue to be enjoyable and without doubt, it’s one of the most visually impressive games on the market today. Whether you’re new to Tekken, fighters in general or you’ve been with this series since the start, this is 2024’s first must-have title, one you can’t afford to miss

FandomWire - Adil Farooq - 10 / 10

Compared to previous entries, Online Mode is a huge improvement. The net code has been improved a lot since Tekken 7, and that was already evident in the previous tests that the game had. Ultimately, the greatest thing about Tekken 8 is that I can picture myself playing this game for years to come. Whether that be by myself, with my friends, family, or even a complete stranger, the fight will always keep bringing me back. Tekken 8 is a fighting game masterpiece and could even be a frontrunner for the best fighting game of all time.

Final Weapon - 5 / 5

Tekken 8 is a perfect fighting game that hits almost all the important spots. The story mode is arguably the best in the franchise, having fantastic CGI cutscenes, emotional moments, and cool fights. The combat system is very strategic and forces players to use their resources wisely. If you feel the combat is overwhelming for you, the game has fantastic tutorials and a replay system that helps point out your mistakes. The addition of rollback netcode and crossplay removes any barrier you could get from playing any matches online, easing players' frustrations. If you don't want to play online, however, you have plenty of options at your disposal, such as arcade mode, Tekken Ball, and much more. Lastly, even if you are colorblind, Tekken 8 still wants you in on the action with its amazing accessibility settings. This Tekken is not just a Tekken for fans but for everyone.

GGRecon - Dave McAdam - 5 / 5

It almost feels clinical to say, like it's a technicality, but this is the best Tekken game I have ever played. Tekken 7 was the best, and this one is better. It gives you more of everything, bigger, louder, and better. I don't say that with one ounce of begrudgery, I am wholeheartedly in love with Tekken 8. It earns the top spot by being undeniably brilliant.

GameBlast - Carlos França Júnior - Portuguese - 10 / 10

The Tekken franchise has always had a strong presence among other fighting games, whether due to its cohesive story or its characteristic gameplay. What Tekken 8 did was maximize the experience provided to players to a level of excellence that steals the spotlight from Street Fighter 6 and Mortal Kombat 1 with perfect execution and exquisite delivery.

GameLuster - Sarim Irfan - 10 / 10

Content rich, mechanically deep, and stunning from an audiovisual sense, Tekken 8 cements itself as the current king of fighters for newcomers and veterans alike.

GamesRadar+ - Oscar Taylor-Kent - 5 / 5

Tekken 8 has a depth to it that can feel overwhelming. But it's also a game that doesn't force you to take it all in at once.

Noisy Pixel - Jahanzeb Khan - 10 / 10

Tekken 8 sets a new standard for 3D fighting games with its breathtaking visuals and intricate details. This installment boasts a diverse and immersive soundtrack that enhances the overall experience. With a robust roster of 32 characters and an epic storyline, it offers extensive single-player content, including Arcade Quest mode and Tekken Ball. The gameplay emphasizes aggression, and the Heat and Rage systems add depth to battles. Whether you're a seasoned player or new to the series, Tekken 8 offers an unforgettable 3D fighting game experience that transcends the genre. Don't miss this masterpiece.

Saudi Gamer - عبد الله الباشان - Arabic - 10 / 10

Tekken 8 is the ultimate form of the veteran franchise that will make every Tekken player and fan proud of how much Bandai Namco have achieved with this masterpiece

Shacknews - TJ Denzer - 10 / 10

Between the Heat System, Special Style controls, a healthy roster and more, Tekken 8 has set the stage for a glorious new era of the fighting franchise.

Thumb Culture - 5 / 5

Through my time playing Tekken 8, I’ve gotten to reexplore a part of my that has been dormant for years. Getting the full use of my fightstick, experiencing the reason why Tekken is the best. With the customization of the characters, the wacky endings and even the characters is what makes Tekken, Tekken. Especially with how everyone speaks their own language and people understand it. Like people understand King’s jaguar roars and also Panda/Kuma’s roars as full on sentences!

VG247 - Connor Makar - 5 / 5

Tekken 8 is a faster, hyper, and fuller package than before. A must-grab for fighting enthusiasts.

VGC - Chris Scullion - 5 / 5

Tekken 8 is a sensational sequel. With a renewed emphasis on single-player modes and a new Heat mechanic which ensures fights are more frenetic, it's up there with Tekken 3 as one of the most exciting high points in the series.

VideoGamer - Alex Raisbeck - 10 / 10

Tekken 8 is the ultimate Tekken game. A glossy veneer of modernity encases a strong foundation that builds upon its predecessors to great success. In every regard, Tekken 8 matches and surpasses the very best that the series, and the fighting game genre as a whole, has to offer.

eXputer - Roaim Chohan - 5 / 5

Tekken 8 is a powerhouse in the Fighting Game world and I’m thoroughly impressed with the entire experience.

BossLevelGamer - Chris Bowman - 9.5 / 10

Fighting game fans continue to be eating well. Tekken 8 isn't just one of the best games in the series, but one of the greatest fighters ever made.

But Why Tho? - Charles Hartford - 9.5 / 10

Tekken 8 offers great gameplay through precise controls, gorgeous visuals, and audio that energizes the player.

Capsule Computers - Travis Bruno - 9.5 / 10

Tekken 8’s gorgeous graphics and bombastic storyline all wrap around an incredibly welcoming set of tutorials to detail the wonderful fighting mechanics that show the franchise is better than ever.

DASHGAMER.com - Dan Rizzo - 9.5 / 10

Tekken 8 is flawless, and should be heralded as a grand achievement for the long-running fighter, a literal groundbreaking push for future entries that will surely improvise from its example of excellence.

Gamefa - Arman Zarmehr - Persian - 9.5 / 10

Tekken 8 delivers a phenomenal fighting experience and truly shows the greatness of this franchise. Every single gameplay mechanic has been implemented almost flawlessly and as a result, we get to experience one of the best fighting games of all time.

Multiplayer First - Paulmichael Contreras - 9.5 / 10

Tekken 8 joins a full roster of fighting games, and competes with the best of them. Naturally, as we couldn’t take the game online during our review period, it remains to be seen how effective Bandai Namco and Akira were at implementing rollback netcode. All Tekken fans should buy Tekken 8 without hesitation, and most fighting game fans will find something to like as well. Though the year may have just started, Tekken 8 will probably compete for fighting game of the year and barring any surprises, should be the runaway winner.

Oyungezer Online - Eren Eryürekli - Turkish - 9.5 / 10

With impeccible pacing and moment to moment grandeur of little details a fight in TEKKEN 8 looks and feels like dancing. Every movement, every sound effect and every camera angle captures perfectly these wild celebration of the human body. A meaningful story mode and with different fighters feels truly different then ever before this whole package is just a love letter for long time fans and newcomers alike.

PSX Brasil - Ivan Nikolai Barkow Castilho - Portuguese - 95 / 100

Tekken 8 is a natural evolution of a fantastic series.

PlayStation Universe - Michael Harradence - 9.5 / 10

Tekken 8 is a fantastic entry in the long-running franchise and a fitting celebration of its 30-year history. With a varied roster packed with unique move sets, the addition of the Heat system and recoverable health gauge, plus a huge variety of modes, Tekken 8 is unmissable for both newcomers and fans alike.

WayTooManyGames - Leonardo Faria - 9.5 / 10

I don’t remember the last time I had this much fun with a fighting game. Tekken 8 wowed me in basically every aspect. It basically set a monstrously high, borderline impossible standard for any future Unreal Engine 5 fighting games, not only with its outstanding visuals, but also tight performance, near-nonexistent input lag, and sheer amount of content.

XboxEra - Genghis Husameddin - 9.5 / 10

TEKKEN 8 is an outstanding fighting game. An extremely strong 3D fighter with lots of offline content, strong core mechanics, and all around a fun and stylish game. TEKKEN continues to show the world why it's the winner of the Iron Fist Tournament.

The Games Machine - Danilo Dellafrana - Italian - 9.4 / 10

Tekken 8 is yet another great chapter in a series incapable of making any missteps. The new mechanics change the game's skin, and while historical detractors won't find any particular reason to change their minds (the famous 'volleyball simulator' for its emphasis on juggles), everyone else will find an incredibly deep game that will stay with them for several years to come. Who knows, maybe thanks to Ghosts even those who are completely refractory to online gaming will find the courage to take their first steps into a new world.

COGconnected - Jaz Sagoo - 93 / 100

Tekken 8’s focus on aggressive gameplay helps to make this the best entry in the franchise.

Bazimag - Hamidreza Ghaneei - Persian - 9.2 / 10

Tekken 8 is an amazing sequel to the legendary Tekken series, which has breathed new life into the series with some new changes. The story mode is extremely enjoyable and impressive, and new mechanics have created more depth in the game's battles. Overall, it can be easily admitted that Tekken 8 is the best title of this series in the last decade.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Samet Basri Taşlı - Turkish - 92 / 100

Good story mode, fun gameplay, great training modes, near perfect online mode, plenty of fighters to choose and detailed customization options. Tekken 8 is an ideal package with everything I could want from a fighting game.

Spaziogames - Silvio Mazzitelli - Italian - 9.2 / 10

To put it simply, this is the best Tekken ever.

Atomix - Aldo López - Spanish - 90 / 100

It is an entry in the franchise that does not disappoint, on the contrary, it will delight both veterans and those who have never tried anything from the saga. If you were waiting for the game with complete enthusiasm, I am pleased to inform you that the purchase is a must, especially if you keep up to date with Tekken.

Attack of the Fanboy - Franklin Bellone Borges - 4.5 / 5

Tekken 8 doubles down on all of the right aspects and delivers the ultimate Tekken experience through an extremely polished combat system, a beautiful presentation, a surprisingly well-crafted story mode, a few novel mechanics, and a groundbreaking new game mode.

BaziCenter - محمد طالبیان - Persian - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 blows fresh air into the ultra-popular series that was slacking behind the competition in recent years, delivering one of the best fighting experiences of this generation and maybe ever.

CGMagazine - Khari Taylor - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 sets a new standard in the fighting game genre, brilliantly blending a vast array of characters, innovative gameplay, cutting-edge visuals, and user-friendly features, making it an ideal choice for both series veterans and newcomers alike.

Cerealkillerz - Steve Brieller - German - 9 / 10

Tekken 8's presentation is brilliant and complements the intense, more offense-oriented gameplay perfectly. Another highlight is how the game tries to introduce beginners into Tekken and gives them several tools for self-improvement, like the replay tips. On the flipside, this support doesn't include intermediates which is a missed chance. Also, the single player modes are quite short. Overall Tekken 8 still takes our place as best fighting game of the current gen as the gameplay and presentation are superb.

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 isn’t just a joy to play, it’s the most content-complete fighting game I’ve played at launch in years.

Cubed3 - Luke Hemming - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 delivers a fantastically fun package worthy of the price tag. Stylish, narrative driven and not bogged down by the fluff of other recent games in the fighting genre. Offline modes have not been forgotten and time has been taken to ensure that this is not only the best in the series to date, but currently the only real option for any players looking to experience fighting games emphasising fun over funding.

Cultured Vultures - Ashley Bates - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 appeals to both the casual and hardcore playerbase, with a great selection of modes, training tools and additional gameplay depth. 2024's fighting games are off to an excellent start.

Digitally Downloaded - Matt Sainsbury - 4.5 / 5

Tekken 8 is, without a doubt, a highly polished gemstone of a fighting game, and it offers players the opportunity to demonstrate some truly elite skills through the aggressive, offensive-first focus on the combat system. But outside of the overly serious, hardcore fighting game community, it’s difficult to see this capturing the imagination of many.

ElderPlayers - Ali Mohammed Al Hajri - Arabic - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 is one of the best games of the current generation and it was presented in a way that really makes you feel like you have moved on to the next generation. It also presented a story with epic events and a positive message, in addition to a fascinating playing style as usual and an amazing visual and audio aspect, but unfortunately it was plagued by some problems in the Arabic language and suffered from. Few playing rings.

Everyeye.it - Antonello Gaeta - Italian - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 is one of the most aesthetically pleasing fighting games on the market.

GAMES.CH - Sven Raabe - German - 90%

The brutal battles have never felt so good, and the new Heat system adds a new tactical twist to the fights that needs to be used wisely.

Game Rant - Liam Ferguson - 4.5 / 5

Street Fighter 6 just raised the bar for AAA fighting games midway through 2023, and its long-time 3D rival Tekken has already matched it. Tekken 8's story mode is a breath of fresh air after T7's, and its abundance of single-player modes will give casual fans plenty to do afterward. Veterans can enjoy Tekken 8's new characters and mechanics without the game’s fundamentals being compromised, and a top-notch presentation will impress without technical hiccups. No one could have expected Tekken 8 to improve this much after Tekken 7 was already so strong, but it's clear that the new game won’t settle for anything less than being the series’ best.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 9 / 10

Taking into consideration its wealth of content and aggressive combat system, it’s clear that Tekken 8 is one of the best fighting games around. With its numerous single-player modes and online offerings, there’s something here for everyone. And its character roster should be applauded for its depth and variety. Above all, though, Tekken 8 succeeds because it’s simply such good fun to play. Stunning visuals work with its clever camera to inject battles with genuine drama. And thanks to more accessibility options than ever, more players can have fun whether they’re a seasoned pro or an absolute newcomer.

Gameblog - French - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 offers a suitable playground for both novices and purists of the saga. Set to last, the game sets the bar very high, corrects the defaults of the previous game and greatly improves the experience. We can't wait to see how Bandai Namco will follow up in the coming months/years. A must-have for any lovers of fighting games that respects. You will not regret it.

Gamepressure - Giancarlo Saldana - 9 / 10

There really is a lot to love about Tekken 8, and the great thing is how familiar the game still feels while constantly impressing you with everything that’s new and shiny. This is a new generation of Tekken that is sure to keep you hooked for a very long time.

Gamersky - 心灵奇兵 - Chinese - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 is a great fighting game. Players of all skill levels can enjoy it, and as with all fighting games, practice and effort pay off.

GamesBeat - Mike Minotti - 4.5 / 5

Tekken 8 makes me angry at myself. I know that I’ve missed out on an amazing franchise. But at least I feel like I’m getting into the series at a strong point. Tekken 8 is a robust package that features some of the most satisfying digital fisticuffs I’ve ever seen.

GamingBolt - Ravi Sinha - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 is a shot in the arm for the series, advancing the story while offering addictive combat, exceptional presentation and a suite of features to attract new and experienced players.

GamingTrend - Jack Zustiak - 90 / 100

Tekken 8 blew us away with its excellent, engaging features that are fine-tuned to fit every fighting game fan's preference. It also offers a battle system that new and veteran players can enjoy...as long as you can take the Heat.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 is a welcome return for the series, with a fighting style that feels fresh through its aggressive combat, and plethora of modes.

IGN - Ronny Barrier - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 is an incredible evolution for the series, with tons of single player content, an excellent suite of training tools, a great online experience, and exciting new mechanics that make Tekken more dynamic than ever.

IGN Italy - Diego Cinelli - Italian - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 breaks the chains that held it anchored to the past while remembering the lessons learned so far: welcome to the next-generation Iron Fist tournament.

IGN Korea - Donghun Lee - Korean - 9 / 10

The main focus of the game’s concept heavily promotes aggressiveness. So the low-risk, high-return situations have been reduced and with the addition of the Heat system, this drives players to be in reach even more, but let’s not forget that a fighting game also requires precise spacing thus making it virtually similar from its predecessor. There have been some short-cut action buttons for beginner players and plenty of content to teach the understanding of how a fighting game may be played. Of all the Tekken series in the past, this one is definitely the most beginner friendly and have designed their system in order to narrow its gap, with the hopes of keeping both the returning players as well as providing convenience to the newcomers.

IGN Spain - Mario Seijas - Spanish - 9 / 10

Tekken knows where it's coming from, and we love where it's going. The new mechanics build on a more than established foundation, and add a special flavor that will be enjoyed by newcomers and veterans alike. The Heat System is a hit, and the new arcade modes are more than welcome. A Tekken to play for thousands of hours.

INDIANTVCZ - Petr Duppal - Czech - 9 / 10

Tekken series has never been better. The improved combat system is faster and more aggressive, making everything feel more modern. The story isn't afraid to push the boundaries of what's possible in the series. Tekken 8 is not just another installment but a unique, fresh experience.

INVEN - Jaihoon Jeong - Korean - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 has progressed in every aspect compared to its predecessors, from the overall narrative and direction to the depth of the system and user convenience. It is a fighting game that can provide ample enjoyment not only for long-time fans but also for new users

Infinite Start - Grant E. Gaines - 9 / 10

What stands out the most about Tekken 8 is the effort to bring newcomers in. Even if someone isn't ready for online, there are many offline options to build your skills. This isn't just a brief overview and combo trials but a wide variety of options to polish practically any rough patch. This, combined with the great gameplay, solid online, and overwhelming customization options, make Tekken 8 a fantastic choice regardless of skill level or experience.

LevelUp - Ulises Contreras - Spanish - 9 / 10

With a great cast of characters and refined gameplay, TEKKEN 8 builds upon the foundations of the previous game to create a thrilling and satisfying experience that excels in almost every aspect. Undoubtedly, it's a really fun and fascinating game that raises the bar for fighting games to another level and both newcomers and longtime fans will enjoy it.

MondoXbox - Andrea Giuliani - Italian - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 greatly improves its proven formula: the Heat system manages to make every fight faster and adrenalinic rewarding a more aggressive style, while studying every move and training become essential parts of the experience. Bandai Namco's new game affirms itself as the new king of 3D fighters, thanks to the solid and deep gameplay that made this series unique and timeless.

MonsterVine - Spencer Legacy - 4.5 / 5

Tekken 8 is a blast to play thanks to its strong core gameplay and welcome breadth of content. If you’re essentially a Tekken beginner like me or a returning series regular, there’s lots to do and enjoy in every corner of Tekken 8.

Nexus Hub - Sam Aberdeen - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 stacks content in an excellent feature-complete package, boasting the great Heat system, refined yet accessible gameplay and one of the best story modes ever put to a fighting game.

NookGaming - Damien Booth - 9 / 10

Aside from a few minor gripes, there isn’t a whole lot that’s not thoroughly great about Tekken 8. The fluidity of the combat, the option to be able to streamline combo strings, and the impressive attention to graphical detail are top-tier. The game only lacks in the most peripheral of ways, but what has always been gratifying about Tekken still pours out from every inch of this latest entry. Tekken 8 is not just a contender, but a champion amongst a legacy of worthy competitors.

PCGamesN - Christian Vaz - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 improves on its predecessor with a complete graphics overhaul, drastically improved netcode, and a robust base game package featuring 32 characters and 16 stages. With DLC fighters already in the pipeline, there's more than enough content to keep fighting game fans packing punches for the foreseeable future.

Play Watch Read - Jorian Non - Dutch - 9 / 10

'Tekken 8' is a fighter with a wide range of game types. It offers accessibility for every character. Both the veteran and the new player could enjoy it to the fullest. A true fighter fan will definitely want to get this title.

PowerUp! - Adam Mathew - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 is a hugely entertaining powerhouse of a sequel that’s been well worth the wait. What else is there left to say other than get [your wallet] ready for the next battle?

Press Start - Matthew Zimmari - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 shows just how easy it is for a long-running franchise to remain fresh and relevant, while still offering a familiar experience to established fans. An engaging Story Mode coupled with Character Episodes keeps the narrative running, while Arcade Quest and Tekken Ball gives newcomers the opportunity to learn the ropes. While some fans may not like that their favourite character is missing from the roster, Tekken 8 fills the gaps with fresh new faces and the hint of more characters on the horizon. It's time to get ready for the next battle!

Push Square - Robert Ramsey - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 is a modern fighting game masterclass. It doesn't skimp on single-player modes, its online offering is robust, and it's a serious visual spectacle. But most importantly, the battles are brilliant; accessible yet deeply technical, and supremely satisfying to be a part of - perhaps more so than ever before. There's no fighting game series quite like Tekken, and Tekken 8 is the franchise at its bombastic best.

Rectify Gaming - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 fires on all cylinders, honoring its legacy while also pushing the franchise forward. The engaging solo and multiplayer experience combined with its stunning and immersive presentation make this game the true King of the Iron Fist Tournament.

Reno Gazette-Journal - Jason Hidalgo - 9 / 10

The King of Iron Fist Tournament makes a triumphant return in Tekken 8 with its familiar bone-crunching gameplay combined with some tweaks to help make it feel fresh. The story about the not-so-well-adjusted Mishima family continues to convey some high drama although the individual character episodes can be a bit hit or miss. The addition of Arcade Quest and Simple Style controls also makes the game much more accessible to newcomers and more casual players. All in all, Tekken 8 is one of the best games to come out from the franchise to date.

SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 9 / 10

But Tekken 8 could be the best after the legendary third instalment. The focus on aggressive gameplay will appeal to a part of the audience. I also praise the game's openness to completely new players, who can quickly and easily get into the game thanks to the new system. I have to praise the amount of content, the very well functioning online, the extensive character appearance editor and also the huge gallery where you can unlock art, videos and other things. It's a real treat for fans and a great way to introduce newcomers to a series they'll love.

Screen Rant - Jason Hon - 4.5 / 5

Tekken 8 is jam-packed with modes, story, and customizable options that should allow players of any skill level to have fun. Battling against veteran players in the multiple online modes will likely be a punishing experience for new players. Still, the latest installment offers the best tools in the franchise yet to master each of its 32 playable characters. Despite being more accessible than ever, Tekken 8 is challenging to master, and continues to make a case for itself as one of gaming's most complex and rewarding fighters.

Seasoned Gaming - Patrick Shields - 9 / 10

Whether you are venturing through the epic story, rumbling with friends and strangers alike in the Tekken Fight Lounge, or engaging with any of the other numerous modes, Tekken 8 serves up a mighty banquet of fun.

Siliconera - Joel Couture - 9 / 10

There's a wealth of wonderful fighting to be had in Tekken 8, and it's a fantastic place to take your first steps into Tekken.

The Beta Network - Anthony Culinas - 9 / 10

Whether it’s the tactical Heat system that raises the aggressiveness of play, or the noob-friendly Special Style controls that make complex combos a cinch, Tekken 8 has almost everything you could ask for in a modern fighting game.

The Game Crater - Chris Melnyk - 9 / 10

Whether you're a fresh face to the genre or returning to settle old grudges, Tekken 8 is absolutely for you and easily the most robust fighting game of the year.

The Outerhaven Productions - Karl Smart - 4.5 / 5

Tekken 8 is a solid outing for the Unreal 5 engine, using it to improve the already impressive graphics we had with Tekken 7. The gameplay is solid with a lot of modes for you to play for hours on end. However, PC users should be warned that their version may have frame rate issues. If these issues are patched, then Tekken 8 will be the best fighting game on the market.

TheSixthAxis - Nick Petrasiti - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 has started 2024 off with a bang, proving once again why this fighting series is great! It's maybe not quite as newcomer friendly as Street Fighter 6, but has a bevy of modes and new tweaks that means it's going in the right direction to be a game for all players, old and new, and will only get better over time.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Giulia Serena - Italian - 90 / 100

Bandai Namco has succeeded in achieving its goal: Tekken 8 oozes next-gen from every pore (or rather, pixel). From the completely overhauled characters to the more cinematic settings than ever before, via the spectacular story footage, every frame has been taken care of to the finest detail, resulting in an impressive piece of work.

TrueAchievements - Tom West - 9 / 10

Overall, Tekken 8 is a blast and hits all of the right notes for players of all skill levels, and with plenty of modes available, you'll be kept busy even if the endgame PvP zone isn't your cup of tea. With 32 fighters at launch and more to come, there is bound to be a favorite hidden in the roster for everyone — I've grown fond of King, Nina Williams, and Brian Fury myself — and a fairly customization suite gives you the tools to make each character your own. Without a doubt, Tekken 8 has the muscle to lead the way as my favorite fighting game to release in recent years.

Twisted Voxel - Salal Awan - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 not only meets but exceeds the high expectations set by its predecessor, Tekken 7, by delivering a refined fighting experience with new features like the Heat Gauge. It sets new standards in visual quality, single-player content, and character customization, offering a comprehensive and engaging experience that is both visually stunning and rich in gameplay variety.

Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - 9 / 10

Featuring cutting-edge visuals for fighting games and exceptional learning tools, Tekken 8 stands out as one of the best releases in the fighting game genre over the last few years.

WellPlayed - Jordan Garcia - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 is as equally ridiculous as it is sensible. It makes crazy, entertaining choices for its story while also opening its doors to a more contemporary, wider audience through some systems that increase the game's approachability.

Xbox Achievements - Richard Walker - 90%

More than the sum of its parts and some really quite magnificent visuals, Tekken 8 is a truly terrific fighting game, which, in the midst of a resurgence for the genre, is quite something. After thirty years, Tekken 8 proves there's a lot of life left in the series yet.

ZTGD - Ken McKown - 9 / 10

Tekken 8 is an outstanding entry into the series with a ton of content for both online and offline players. This is how you pack a game with enough content to keep players invested. The plethora of modes, customization, and superb game play create a package that any fan of the genre should not miss.

Zoomg - Arais Nazarian - Persian - 9 / 10

Bandai Namco brings all its experience in creating the fighting games to Tekken 8 and result is simply amazing. High paced and fun gameplay with great characters is combined with beautiful visuals and enjoyable music. overall Tekken 8 is a great fighting game.

Hobby Consolas - Daniel Quesada - Spanish - 89 / 100

Tekken 8 offers a successful update to the formula of the franchise by showing a powerful performance and an array of game modes that satisfy both expert players and newcomers.

PC Gamer - Mollie Taylor - 89 / 100

The best Tekken game in years, let down only by its struggling netcode and aged customisation.

GamePro - David Molke - German - 88 / 100

Tekken 8 is back with impressive graphics, improved combat system and cool modes, but a bit poor for pure single-player fans.

Paste Magazine - Elijah Gonzalez - 8.8 / 10

Tekken 8 may not be a sea-change sequel, but it hones what came before, reducing pain points for newcomers without reducing the complexity that makes this series special.

Atarita - Atakan Gümrükçüoğlu - Turkish - 87 / 100

TEKKEN 8 is the answer to the question of how a fighting game should be. It's both the old TEKKEN vibe and a new adventure.

Generación Xbox - Gabriel Fuentes - Spanish - 87 / 100

Bandai Namco's new installment has that magic of a select few that makes you fall in love with a formula repeated for 30 years with just a few adjustments, but that not only doesn't get tiring, but feels renewed and motivates you to enjoy it.

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 85 / 100

Featuring a wide variety of modes, impressive graphics and compelling sound, Tekken 8 distinguishes itself as a standout in the fighting game genre.

Enternity.gr - Panagiotis Petropoulos - Greek - 8.5 / 10

Tekken 8 doesn't take risks with stunts and experimentation, but instead capitalizes on an already well-laid system cluster that returns fresher and better than last time.

Evilgamerz - Dutch - 8.5 / 10

With an excellent gaming year of 2023 behind us, with Street Fighter 6 and Mortal Kombat 1, among others, receiving great praise, the competition in the land of fighting games is enormous. But fortunately, Tekken 8 takes on that competition with ease. Despite the steep learning curve, Tekken's combat is as usual, with the new Heat feature introducing some extra aggression into the game. Moreover, the game contains enough content to keep you busy for a while. Once you're done with the relatively short story mode, there are the Character episodes, the Arcade Quest mode and the excellent Ghost Battles to keep you fighting. And if you feel like you're good enough, take a step into multiplayer. It remains to be seen how the battle pass will take shape and how new fighters will be introduced. But after an absence of almost 10 years, Tekken is back, and these are golden times for fans of the genre.

Gamer Guides - Chris Moyse - 83 / 100

Tekken returns to the ring with a powerful new engine that sees The King of Iron Fist Tournament looking, sounding, and performing at its most majestic. Gameplay still forgoes evolution in favor of tradition, resulting in progress that is mostly skin-deep. Regardless, Tekken 8 remains a blast to play, set to keep competitive hype fires burning throughout 2024 and beyond.

Game Informer - Marcus Stewart - 8.3 / 10

As a complete package, Tekken 8 doesn’t reach the heights of recent rivals like Street Fighter 6 and Mortal Kombat 1. But when the match begins, and you’re exploiting openings to unleash flashy combo strings and air juggles, it remains a thrilling, if very familiar, one-on-one experience.

Checkpoint Gaming - Omi Koulas - 8 / 10

TEKKEN 8 unleashes a storm of punches, blending chaotic Mishima drama with accessible combat changes. The short story, though dramatic, loses steam, but the Heat system and Special Style redefine the fight. Arcade Quest mode injects a needed charm, offering a nostalgic journey with opportunities to grow your fighting game skills. Visually stunning with a diverse soundtrack, the game achieves a balance between the familiar and the cutting-edge. Despite a stumble in the narrative, TEKKEN 8 delivers a knockout combo.

Daily Mirror - Scott McCrae - 4 / 5

Tekken 8 makes great strides to sort out Tekken 7’s biggest issues, all while carving out its own identity within the series thanks to the brand-new Heat system. The wealth of single-player content available is the best I’ve seen since Tekken 5, and the cinematic story mode outclasses the likes of Mortal Kombat and Injustice in the format they pioneered.

Digital Trends - De'Angelo Epps - 4 / 5

Despite missing on a major mode, Tekken 8 is another great entry in one of the fighting genre’s best series. Whether you come for the story or just the core brawling, the team at Bandai Namco makes sure there’s something everyone can enjoy here. It’s a tight package that loads a lot of surprises into every corner and another fighting game that’s very much worth your time in a true golden age for the genre.

Entertainment Geekly - Luis Alvaro - 4 / 5

This entry is not just another fight; it reinvigorates our love for the genre, reminding us why we step into the arena time and time again.

Eurogamer.pt - Bruno Galvão - Portuguese - 4 / 5

Tekken 8 is like riding a bike, you might feel like you're looking at a game that changes little from the previous one, it can almost be described as an update, but its quality is phenomenal. The new fighters are a lot of fun to use, the graphic quality is stunning, the story mode entertains and Character Quest perfectly fulfills the role of a traditional Arcade mode. With a new focus on 3D space to bring the community together, Tekken 8 is positioned for an energetic and electrifying long ride with plenty of fun on the horizon.

Game Revolution - Nicholas Tan - 8 / 10

Tekken 8 is a competent and appealing entry in the series that shakes up its familiar combat system without making it too unbalanced. Apart from the story campaign, the offline modes sadly aren’t as strong as they could be. But the PvP modes work fairly well and will keep the community afloat, even if crossplay is a bit finicky and the online connection crashes on occasion. Tekken 8 provides a solid base for additional content until the next entry, be it more characters, customization options, or extra modes. Either way, we’re ready for the next battle.

GameMAG - Russian - 8 / 10

Tekken 8 could be a much more special experience if Bandai Namco's teams took a bolder approach. But as it stands out the game feels like just a pretty good fighting game, that can be enjoyed by both fans and casual players alike.

GameSpot - Jason Fanelli - 8 / 10

A new aggressive fighting system and a healthy cast of characters make Tekken 8 pack a powerful punch.

Kakuchopurei - Alleef Ashaari - 80 / 100

It's hard to change things too much for a fighting game franchise, but Tekken 8 ultimately does feel like a major improvement over Tekken 7. The amazing next-gen visuals, the cinematic story mode, and the new mechanics make the gameplay more fun and exciting; they're all what will make Tekken 8 a more memorable entry in the franchise. Will be as iconic of a game as Tekken 3 or Tekken 5? Only time will tell but it sure does look like it.

NoobFeed - Azfar Rayan - 80 / 100

Tekken 8 is a nicely executed game. There has been an improvement in every area of the previous installments in the series; the current one is no exception. Bandai Namco has achieved this by showcasing an impressive narrative mode heavy on spectacles, cutting-edge AI, and improved presentation. It may not be the finest fighting game of its generation, but it is a fine continuation of the series.

Pure Xbox - PJ O'Reilly - 8 / 10

Tekken 8 is a little light on single-player content in comparison to some of the other big fighters out there right now, and it does give off the initial impression of being super-slick over strategically balanced early on. Stick with it though, dig down beneath all the fancy new heat moves and screen-shaking rage attacks, and you'll find a classic fighting system that feels better now than it ever has. Once you're in the zone, pulling off Phoenix smashers, dashing fists and sandwich claps whilst side-stepping like a pro, any slight shortcomings this game may have are left at the entrance to the arena.

SpoilerTV - Milo Milton-Jefferies - 80 / 100

Tekken 8 is perfect for fans new and old, encouraging close-quarters combat ensuring that there is less of a reliance on blocking than ever before. Brutal and      unstoppable fans of the genre will be pleased to know that the king is back, and better than ever.

Stevivor - Steve Wright - 7 / 10

Tekken 8 will surely impress fans but I struggled to connect with it like I have Mortal Kombat 1 and Street Fighter 6. There's no denying it's a feast for the senses and is full of stuff to do... but if you're like me and haven't found Tekken memorable despite playing it across many years and many platforms, that's unlikely to change here.

Chicas Gamers - Estela Villa - Spanish - Unscored

Tekken 8 returns stronger than ever and with a renewed commitment to risk with fun and fresh gameplay. Despite having a short story mode, the inclusion of the character chapters provides something extra to delve into them. All this together with the different offline and online game modes will give us a good number of hours of play if we like titles of this genre. Tekken 8 is a game that you will like and that joins others of the style such as Mortal Kombat 1 or Street Fighter 6.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

Bandai Namco elevates the Tekken series to a new high with engaging and accessible gameplay paired with an expansive roster and entertaining modes.

La Orden del Pixel - Mariano Daneri - Spanish - Yes

Tekken 8, the new installment of Bandai Namco's mythical fighting saga, surpasses what has been seen in previous installments with an excellent experience for both veteran and casual players. A title with abundant content and game modes, which also offers the necessary tools for anyone looking to master the complexities of a visually spectacular combat system.

One More Game - Chris Garcia - Buy

Tekken 8 makes the wait worth it by successfully introducing new systems that make sense and improve both the player's and spectator's points of view with explosive action. Newcomers will appreciate the thoughtful onboarding process while giving veteran and pro players a deep combat system to sink hundreds of hours into.

It feels like Tekken 8 has successfully taken the step to the next level, releasing an installment that's not just a simple iteration but with significant updates and changes that make it feel fresh and fun. Time will tell if the team can successfully support it the way they have with Tekken 7, but this is an extremely solid launch experience that's certainly ready for the big stage.

Polygon - Patrick Gill - Polygon Recommends

There is a lot to love here. Satisfying mechanics, gorgeous combat animation, flashy presentation, and a killer soundtrack. That said, I don’t know if my own excitement will be enough to win over friends who are on the fence about the unremarkable story, incomplete tutorialization, and aesthetically dubious roster.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Brendan Caldwell - Unscored

It's a lot like Tekken 7, but angrier.

• Shocked 1
  • Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 26 January 2024) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

The best Tekken game in years, let down only by its struggling netcode

Not sure if true because it's PCGamer but the warning signs were kind of there earlier when they announced all the Tekken tournaments would be offline. At the time it didn't necessarily mean the netcode was bad but one could perhaps think it is based on that decision. :p

3 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I suck so bad at Tekken but if I could be good at a fighting game it would be the one I would pick. I think the fights look so cool. 

I suck at pretty much all fighting games but I enjoy them. I don’t suck nearly as bad offline.