Atlas Fallen (ARPG from "The Surge" developers, PC/Xbox Series/PS5) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Pikachu

Focus Entertainment and Deck13 Interactive (a Focus studio) are proud to announce the epic fantasy, super-powered action RPG: Atlas Fallen! Unveiled during the Gamescom Opening Night Live 2022 by Geoff Keighley, Atlas Fallen takes you to a semi-open world full of ancient mysteries and threats. Coming to PlayStation 5, Xbox Series & PC in 2023, get to know its sand-covered world now in the Reveal Trailer, and meet two mysterious fighters battling legendary creatures with sand-infused weapons.

Rise from the dust and liberate mankind from the oppression of the gods.

Glide the sands of a timeless land, filled with ancient dangers, mysteries and fragments of the past. Hunt legendary monsters, using powerful, shape-shifting weapons and devastating sand-powered abilities in spectacular, super-powered combat.

Target and gather the essence of your enemies to shape your own custom playstyle, forging a new era for humanity in a fully cooperative or solo story campaign.

Atlas Fallen will be coming to PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S and PC in 2023. Wishlist it and register your Focus Entertainment account now for exclusive news and benefits!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Atlas Fallen (ARPG from "The Surge" developers, PC/Xbox Series/PS5, 2023) - World Premiere Reveal Trailer
144eecb9ec1df13b92a3a96253fc8ce65d3d281c
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Wield the power of the sands with a new combat system that departs from the studio’s previous productions.

While keeping a visceral feel as well as certain moves which were core to The Surge series, Atlas Fallen’s combat is primarily defined by speed and fluidity. We’ve kept ideas like the body part targeting system and the implant system, using a different approach to best support the accentuated RPG aspect. We pushed everything a step further in the direction of advanced character management and moveset customization, so you’ll get to approach combat in your own way. 

Game feel is our main concern when it comes to designing Atlas Fallen. We’ve let strict constraints of realism aside to focus on giving a thrilling, overpowering feeling to the game. One of the chief design elements to achieve this is Sand Gliding, which is how the hero will move across the vast world of Atlas Fallen. It’s key to the game’s high mobility system, and it brings amazing speed and verticality to the spectacular action of combats. 

Another powerful aspect of Atlas Fallen’s combat system comes from the hero’s gauntlet. Rather than using actual weapons, the magical power of this gauntlet allows the hero to manipulate the sand which covers the world and turn it into a transformable weapon. Thus, there is no need to put a weapon back before taking another out, and changing from one to another during combat becomes a seamless transition.

ss_a161acb5e08ff9a4f6650a02b8eb6d1995b9a
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We saw a brief preview of Atlas Fallen and came away with some thoughts on its semi-open world exploration and combat.

Revealed at Gamescom Opening Night Live, Atlas Fallen is an upcoming action RPG being developed by Deck 13 Interactive, the folks behind The Surge games. It's eschewing the robotic antics of its predecessor in favour of a Middle Eastern-inspired semi-open world filled with towering blocks of sand, rolling dunes, and mahoosive beasties.

I managed to see a brief 30-minute presentation of the game here at Gamescom, which gave off the impression that it's shaping up to satisfy those craving a AA title to plonk on their shelf. I've got to say that in action that combat really looks good, too.

Anyway. From what I saw of the actual Atlas Fallen, it looks to be a semi-open world made up of several big areas, all interconnected by a more linear path than your usual "see something, go there" type of open world. And unlike The Surge, it doesn't have a hint of Soulslike in it, instead opting for more of a traditional third-person mixture of action and exploration. Your primary way of getting from A to B is by gliding around on the sand with your own tootsies, although right at the end of the presentation there seemed to be a player riding about on a big dragon, so perhaps there's some faster – cooler – modes of transport to nab later on.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Atlas Fallen (ARPG from "The Surge" developers, PC/Xbox Series/PS5, 2023) - hands-off demo impressions (RockPaperShotgun)
  • 6 months later...
atlas-fallen-1677692694521.jpg?width=128
WWW.IGN.COM

It won't be long before you can glide through the sand in Deck13's new game.

If you're looking forward to gliding through a sand-covered world with friends in Deck13's new game Atlas Fallen, you won't have to wait much longer, as Focus Entertainment has revealed the game will launch on May 16.

Originally revealed during last year's Gamescom Opening Night Live event, Atlas Fallen has garnered a lot of attention and interest due to its unique movement mechanics that allow you to surf around on the sand of the game's compelling sand-based world. The game's attractive visuals certainly don't hurt, either, and help explain why it's a current gen-only release.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Atlas Fallen (ARPG from "The Surge" developers, PC/Xbox Series/PS5, 16 May 2023) - 16 May 2023 release announced

Ugh.. I just clicked on that link and suddenly remembered why I haven't been to IGN in forever. Holy shit that website is still a mess.

So it comes out in May and there hasn't been any footage of this game except for the cinematic trailer from Gamescom? That's... promising...

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Atlas Fallen (ARPG from "The Surge" developers, PC/Xbox Series/PS5, 16 May 2023) - "Rise From Dust" gameplay reveal trailer

Hands-on previews:

NPGMXbPLuS7YuA26rH5snf-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Is this Deck13’s slickest venture yet? Or will it be buried in the sand like all those Funkos?

Just think back. You remember Enslaved: Journey to the West? Kingdoms of Amalur? Dragon’s Dogma? Not every game is created equal, and there are more than a few whose budgets clearly don’t compare to the Q4 blockbusters that get released each year. But that doesn’t stop them being compelling, fulfilling, and, crucially, fun. For the games above, they might not have become the long-lasting franchises that we were promised, but they live on in the hearts and minds of those that played them. Atlas Fallen, as we’ve seen in our hands-on time with the game, could well go on to achieve the same kind of heart-stealing glory.

We’ve had a good few hours to explore Atlas Fallen in its latest preview build ahead of the game’s release in May, and there’s heaps of potential here. It starts slow with an interior tutorial but once it opens out onto that desert – the core thematic pillar of the game – things really start to get their grips in.

For the elevator pitch, there’s a flavor of Darksiders, modern God of War and even Devil May Cry here. A lot of this influence comes from the combat, which quickly ramps up in the preview build to really make sure you’re paying attention.

atlas-fallen-peview-bigi.png
WWW.RPGSITE.NET

We took a look at the next game from the developers of The Surge and some parts of it reminded us of a PS1 RPG from the year 2000... in a good way!

The combat system in Atlas Fallen has been the star of the show so far. There’s an immediate satisfaction in the way it balances risk-versus-reward to players. The custom created character in Atlas Fallen wields a mysterious gauntlet that has the ability to shape-shift into multiple weapons as players attack enemies.

Primary attacks are meant for close-ranged assaults, while secondary attacks reach further enemies and can even grapple onto them for players to quickly close the gap.

What sets Atlas Fallen apart from other modern battle systems is the blue bar underneath the red HP bar - the Momentum Gauge. It gradually fills as players land attacks on foes.

Notice how the bar is divided up into three segments in the above screenshot? These indicate the current ‘Tier’ that the player’s moveset is in. Players start at Tier 1 and can reach up to Tier 3. Each Tier transforms the gauntlet’s arsenal into bigger and more lethal weapons.

fd471e9b61251390030847ad8cdcb881b5b87767
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Discover how Deck13’s team designed a fantasy world and gameplay based on sand magic.

Hi everyone, we are Deck13’s Sven Hammer, Principal Technical Designer, and Lila Grimaldi, Narrative Designer. We’re bringing you Atlas Fallen on May 16, an epic and explosive action-RPG where you’ll play as a hero who rises against the reign of a tyrannical god. You’ll explore a semi-open, sand-covered world called Atlas and battle mythical creatures. Your heroic abilities come from a magical artifact, and we’re here to tell you about its lore and mechanics!

In the world of Atlas, Essence is at the core of everything. All organic things and each particle of its sand-covered surface are made of it. An ancient form of magic built its powers on Essence, but its knowledge has been long lost. One day, our hero stumbles upon the remains of this magic in the form of a centuries-old artifact: the Gauntlet.

The Gauntlet gives its wearer control over the Essence present in their surroundings. Thus, they can manipulate Essence grains found in objects, structures, elements, and change their structural integrity, reassemble or destroy them. Our hero will use it to shape the sand around them into various weapons during combat. The gauntlet’s ability to manipulate its surroundings allows players to propel themselves into the air for epic vertical movements and fast traversal by sliding over the sands of Atlas. The Gauntlet is a very versatile tool!

Atlas-Fallen-header.jpg
WWW.VG247.COM

If you like your games slightly wonky – but effortlessly charming – Atlas Fallen is likely for you.

Atlas Fallen is exactly the sort of game I need right now. I don’t quite know how to explain why that is other than to get slightly reductive, so indulge me: it’s got big, glorious A-tier energy. Not triple-A. Just A. And sometimes, that’s all you need.

I’m reaching around for a comparison point of what Atlas Fallen is like and struggling, but let me give you something more broad: it’s got big Darksiders energy. I don’t mean it’s a Zelda-alike, though there’s definitely Zelda-ish elements. What I really mean is the general mood and feel - the vibe that game had at the time. It wasn’t as lavish or as expensive as some, but it had a whole lot of heart and was determined to bring together ideas and influences from a variety of places and execute on them in an interesting way. That is also Atlas Fallen.

Developer Deck13 is most well-known for The Surge and Lords of the Fallen, both ‘Soulsy’ sort of games. This wisely isn’t one of those – but what you get instead is a scrappier, looser third-person action-adventure with just a little touch of that crunchy, heavy souls-style combat injected into it.

Developer Deep Dive:

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Atlas Fallen (ARPG from "The Surge" developers, PC/Xbox Series/PS5, 16 May 2023) - hands-on preview articles/videos, "THIS is Atlas Fallen!" developer deep dive video
25 minutes ago, Bacon said:

OK, but what do you do in this game?

Like, it just looks like you are fighting trash mobs and an open world. Like a shitty mmo. But they haven't shown why, or what your goals are. What am I doing in this game and why?

I really have no idea at all.

The Fextralife guy sounded genuinely bored by it judging from the tone of his video.

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The Fextralife guy sounded genuinely bored by it judging from the tone of his video.

Yeah. I watched both that and the Bookstick one but neither mentioned what you are doing in the game. Like, they mention the combat and some mechanics but there was nothing said about what you are doing.

LOL I thought there were only three videos linked.

The Skill UP review kinda brings up what you do but not really. There are actual bad guys, not just monsters, and I think your goal is to like get rid of them and somewhat restore the area. He killed any desire I could have had by basically mentioning this game has a bunch of MMO-style side quests. Even GoWR wasn't immune from that and it sucked.

ACG mentioned that all they can show is B-roll, which was obvious from the start, and that was to avoid spoilers assumedly, but that is a huge mistake cuz I want to know what the fuck this game is about. Some of the plot needs to be shown off. We need that back-of-the-book blurb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Atlas Fallen (ARPG from "The Surge" developers, PC/Xbox Series/PS5, 10 August 2023) - release re-scheduled to 10 August 2023
  • 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Atlas Fallen (ARPG from "The Surge" developers, PC/Xbox Series/PS5, 10 August 2023) - Gameplay Overview Trailer
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Atlas Fallen (ARPG from "The Surge" developers, PC/Xbox Series/PS5, 10 August 2023) - "Combat" trailer and "Behind the Sand" gameplay presentation
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Atlas Fallen (ARPG from "The Surge" developers, PC/Xbox Series/PS5, 10 August 2023) - "Lord of the Sands" trailer
  • 2 weeks later...

Huh, reviews are bit middling so far.  I was really hoping to champion this game as what Forspoken should have been, but maybe not. :(

aEUDc0t1.jpg
OPENCRITIC.COM

Atlas Fallen is rated 'Fair' after being reviewed by 53 critics, with an overall average score of 67. It's ranked in the bottom 34% of games and recommended by 27% of critics.

Game Information

Game Title: Atlas Fallen

Platforms:

• PC (Aug 10, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Aug 10, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Aug 10, 2023)

Developer: Deck13
Publisher: Focus Entertainment

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 67 average - 27% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

TechRaptor - Rutledge Daugette - 9 / 10

With exploration enhanced by fun traversal, a progression system that doesn't tie you to levels, and combat that never gets boring with flashy abilities and fast-paced movement - Atlas Fallen is definitely worth your time.

Generación Xbox - Adrian Fuentes Berna - Spanish - 84 / 100

Atlas Fallen is a game that I wanted to play since I saw the first videos, although once played it does not reinvent the wheel, if it does enough things well to consider it a game to take into account if you like its premises. It is an RPG, with a light combat system like a Hack and Slash, with touches of Darksiders and a great atmosphere.

Hobby Consolas - Ángel Morán Santiago - Spanish - 83 / 100

Atlas Fallen does not invent the wheel, but it scratches at a good level in almost all its sections, and bets on a charismatic fictional universe (with potential for a sequel). If you like hack and slash, action-RPG or the oddities of the PS3 and Xbox 360 generation, here is one of the surprises of the year.

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 80 / 100

Atlas Fallen is an action-adventure RPG that evokes a sense of nostalgia for classic hits while also infusing the genre with a refreshing and unique touch.

Attack of the Fanboy - Marc Magrini - 4 / 5

Despite all of its flaws in story, visuals, and even design, Atlas Fallen excels simply as a video game.

GGRecon - Kiera Mills - 4 / 5

Atlas Fallen isn’t a game that will push the action RPG genre forward, but it's so much fun to play it doesn't really matter anyway.

The gameplay loop is satisfying and the aerial dash and sandglider mechanics are smooth enough that you'll be happy just exploring the world of Atlas, even if you're not progressing through the main story.

Its clunky plot holds a certain charm, and with enjoyable combat and traversal it's worth a look for anyone looking for a meaty adventure before the Fall deluge.

Lords Of Gaming - Mahmood Ghaffar - 8 / 10

Despite its technical and QoL shortcomings, Atlas Fallen has me excited. The game is a testament to how far AA development has come in recent years. The game does take tired open-world tropes but adds that extra creative and unique layer that AA developers are known for. Atlas Fallen delivers a fascinating, albeit undercooked, world with solid combat and build mechanics. Undoubtedly, Atlas Fallen is another feather in Deck13’s cap.

PCGamesN - Matt Poskitt - 8 / 10

Atlas Fallen's superb combat, intruiging world, and fluid traversal make up for a play-by-numbers narrative. Thankfully, simple things like surfing the sands of a ginormous desert wasteland and taking on behemoth beasts mean I can enjoy the game for what it is instead of what it could have been.

But Why Tho? - Abdul Saad - 7.5 / 10

Ultimately, while Atlas Fallen‘s narrative is a bit of a hit-and-miss, it still offers players, especially action RPG fans, a highly engaging gameplay experience in a well-crafted world.

Gaming Nexus - Jason Dailey - 7.5 / 10

Atlas Fallen might not make any game of the year lists, but its inventive, refreshing combat is worth checking out. It will require a bit of patience, as the opening and closing acts are a protracted slog, in addition to numerous bugs, but the foundation is set for a sequel that capitalizes on the promise of this new IP.

GamingTrend - David Burdette - 75 / 100

I wouldn't go into Atlas Fallen looking for a great story, but if you're looking for an interesting world to explore, this might fit the bill. The gameplay is a lot of fun, with foes worth your time to engage, and a fantastic customization system to battle your way. Atlas Fallen fills that old "AA THQ" hole, perfect for what it is.

Multiplayer First - James Lara - 7.5 / 10

There’s a lot of potential in Atlas Fallen that, sadly, feels heavily bogged down by its forgettable and, at times, repetitive story. If you can look past that, you’ll find Atlas Fallen has much to offer. It’s a great callback to classic hack-and-slash titles, filled with hours of senseless, monster-slaying fun that can be enjoyed with another player online. It’s not without its faults mind you, but it does build a great foundation, one I’d like to see built upon with potential sequels.

PlayStation Universe - Timothy Nunes - 7.5 / 10

Atlas Fallen suffers a few mishaps along the way, with enemies able to do cheap shots, modernized fast travel limitations, and a rather empty map. At the same time, there's a fun story here that keeps you moving forward, and combat itself feels visceral without being over-demanding. This is a great entry point for newcomers to the genre. Atlas Fallen has high fantasy alongside simple but intricate combat. It may not make game of the year by any means, but it certainly makes a good impression.

Pure Dead Gaming - Jim - 7.5 / 10

For a new IP, and a game that I didn’t know a great deal about prior to playing it, I really enjoyed my time with it. If this is the beginning of a new franchise, then I will look forward to what Deck 13 have to offer as their previous outings in The Lords of the Fallen and The Surge games have certainly cemented them as a solid hand in game development.

WellPlayed - Kieran Stockton - 7.5 / 10

While this sandy action RPG is somewhat lacking in technical and visual polish, Atlas Fallen is still a strong outing from Deck13, with the outfit continuing to prove it's got the chops when it comes to crafting interesting mechanics and fun combat.

ZTGD - Terrence Johnson - 7.5 / 10

Atlas Fallen does some things right as a new franchise, the world that the team has made is interesting and begs to be explored, the story is for the most part extremely well told and as I said graphically the game looks great. But the unevenness of the combat just makes avoiding fights more common than facing enemies head on. Which is truly a shame because as I said above, I love action games and had high hopes that Atlas Fallen would stick the landing. I am hoping this is something that can be fixed with a patch, because I did enjoy skating around the sands and exploring the massive levels.

GBAtemp - GoldenBullet (GoldenBullet) - 7.4 / 10

Atlas Fallen has a unique gameplay loop with its Momentum mechanic that can be addicting but it is lacking in every other area. With the inclusion of campaign Co-Op, this is a solid title that people interested in Action RPGs should check out

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 7.3 / 10

Atlas Fallen is a difficult case. On the one hand, there's great surfing through the sand, fun-heavy combat and extensive gameplay style customization, as well as all sorts of things to discover in the open world. On the other hand, there are boring characters, a far too serious and predictable story, repetitive mission objectives and artificially difficult battles. Thus, the game can only be recommended if you lower a few expectations and are aware that it gets clunky and lacks variety in some places. Because the fun of the game is really only a layer of sand away most of the time.

GAMES.CH - Benjamin Braun - German - 71%

With Atlas Fallen, Deck13 delivers a fine and highly customizable hack-and-slay-like combat system. There is generally a great gameplay-flow, too. But with its partly blank game world and weak story the game can't fulfill the highest demands for an action RPG.

Destructoid - Steven Mills - 7 / 10

I do think there is reason enough to experience Atlas Fallen. Especially if you are a fan of the action RPG genre. It may not leave a lasting impression once you’ve completed the adventure, but it will be enjoyable enough along the way to hold your interest.

Hardcore Gamer - Kyle LeClair - 3.5 / 5

Atlas Fallen is far from a perfect game, but the important thing is that it's still a fun game.

IGN - Gabriel Moss - 7 / 10

Atlas Fallen is a solid open-world action RPG with plenty of platforming and large monsters to fight with a co-op buddy, so long as neither of you cares about story or is a stickler for high-quality textures.

IGN Italy - Angelo Bianco - Italian - 7 / 10

Atlas Fallen is a decent action-RPG that, with all its merits and flaws, attempts to emulate God of War with a fun and dynamic combat system. Unfortunately, in addition to the challenging confrontations with the imposing desert creatures Deck13 Interactive's game does not have much to offer from a quality standpoint. An unsteady frame-rate, along with some problems related to enemy lock-on, prevent the developers from taking the next step after the good results achieved with the two chapters of The Surge.

Push Square - Liam Croft - 7 / 10

It's disappointing to come up against a few too many flaws, but when Atlas Fallen is on form, its marriage of movement and fighting shines through.

SpoilerTV - Chloe Curnow - 7 / 10

Though the story falls short of the mark, stunning visuals help give the game a solid and polished feel. The immersive and dynamic combat gameplay however is the game's best asset, giving players full customisation of their playstyle and bringing the world to life. A good choice for a breezy and fast-paced gaming experience.

Stevivor - Steve Wright - 7 / 10

Atlas Fallen‘s core is solid — though combat still needs some work — but it seems a bit sparse.

TrueAchievements - Tom West - 7 / 10

Atlas Fallen is a feast for the eyes and a sand-surfing ride filled with plenty of high-octane combat encounters.

Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - 7 / 10

With its unique premise and setting, Atlas Fallen could have been one of the best action games of the year, but its mediocre combat system, dull open-world areas, and lack of interesting characters drag the experience down. The full package ends up being just a decent game for those willing to look past its most critical shortcomings.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 6.9 / 10

Atlas Fallen is close to being damned good.  It is let down by a lack of variety in enemy encounters, poor side quests, and dreadful writing.  Still, the combat quickly becomes damned fun and with the option of co-op, it’s well worth checking out if you want some God of Crackdown-style action platforming adventures.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 68 / 100

Like in their earlier games, Deck 13 Interactive is definitely punching above their weight. If this results in some moments of unexpected awesomeness, it also results in some rough patches and missing polish.

Gamerheadquarters - Jason Stettner - 6.7 / 10

Atlas Fallen is ambitious being tight in scale and offering some limited scope which was refreshing for an open world game.

GameGrin - Artura Dawn - 6.5 / 10

Atlas Fallen has a great premise with pretty enjoyable old-school combat when it works. Frustrating and unreliable mechanics might be a bit of a hindrance, but it works great as a gameplay-heavy title to pick up and play.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 6.5 / 10

From the outside Atlas Fallen has all the pieces of an open world fantasy epic, but if you look a little more closely you'll see the cracks.

Nerdburglars - Dan Hastings - 6.5 / 10

Atlas Fallen is a mixed bag. It has classic elements that resonate with fans of open world RPGs, clever combat mechanics, and some unique exploration elements. BUT, the repetitive, hopeless world, lacklustre narrative, and often frustrating UX pitfalls temper this potential. Atlas Fallen feels more like a well-made mod than it does a standalone release.

PSX Brasil - Bruno Henrique Vinhadel - Portuguese - 65 / 100

Showing good ideas with poor execution, Atlas Fallen is an action RPG with flaws, strange decisions and an underused universe in many ways. It is a better experience when enjoyed cooperatively, but just a decent game nowadays.

Spaziogames - Gianluca Arena - Italian - 6.3 / 10

It's a shame that Deck13 new IP it's so generic and confusionary, because there are also bold new ideas in it. Nonetheless, as it is at the time of writing, Atlas Fallen is a by-the-book action RPG with a problematic targeting system and just a handful of open maps to explore, with so much better choices on the market.

Checkpoint Gaming - Luke Mitchell - 6 / 10

There are some fundamentally great things about Atlas Fallen, like its gorgeous desert landscapes and its super-satisfying sand sliding, plus combat that has a tonne of options and flows well. But its open world of interesting enemies suffers from a rinse-and-repeat approach, where what was exciting in hour two becomes boring and repetitive by hour eight. It's not that it's poorly made, but its mission structure and by-the-numbers narrative delivered in a boring way make for an adventure that is more generic than unique. Atlas Fallen is much like a mirage in its sandy desert setting; enticing at first, but a bit disappointing once you look closer and realise it's not what you'd hoped.

Eurogamer - Kaan Serin - 3 / 5

Atlas Fallen echoes other mid-00s slashers with fun melee combat and cool ideas, trapped in a run-of-the-mill open world.

Gameblog - French - 6 / 10

Deck13 brings very good ideas, but either it does not go to the end, or it misses in the execution.

Press Start - James Wood - 6 / 10

Atlas Fallen layers interesting and engaging combat systems onto a lacklustre world and frustrating camera controls making for an uneven and forgettable fantasy action outing. Deck13 continues its work of innovating the genre in interesting ways but there's just a little too much going on for Atlas Fallen to ever find solid ground.

RPG Site - Adam Vitale - 6 / 10

Atlas Fallen is an average action RPG with some interesting Momentum combat mechanics, a passable open-world, subpar presentation, and a disappointing narrative.

Saving Content - Scott Ellison II - 3 / 5

Atlas Fallen is a fun and exciting journey over the sand and under the sun with a combat system defined by enhancements and not the weapons themselves. The story is forgettable, but the experience isn't. It's a game that has a bevy of systems, yet it all feels artificially restrained for unknown reasons. I found the gameplay loop to be enjoyable from start to finish, and the game ended right when it needed to. Atlas Fallen is a little flat in its presentation, but it's a good way to spend a dozen or so hours sand-gliding and fighting as the Summer winds down.

The Outerhaven Productions - Jordan Andow - 3 / 5

Atlas Fallen is an enjoyable action game. Unfortunately, the story being so uninteresting and the outdated presentation combined with lots of bugs leave this fun moment-to-moment gameplay experience hard to recommend to everyone. At this moment in time, I would only recommend this game to those that are looking for something fun to play in co-op.

GamesRadar+ - Jon Bailes - 2.5 / 5

It's proficient in some respects, adequate in others, and manageable at worst. But that leaves a creative void in its world and the way you interact with it that calls into question the value of the whole endeavour.

Metro GameCentral - Nick Gillett - 5 / 10

A combat-heavy action RPG with fun fights and spectacular landscapes, that's brought down by glitches, fiddly navigation, and an over-reliance on fetch quests.

TheSixthAxis - Gareth Chadwick - 5 / 10

Atlas Fallen is at its best when you're fighting huge enemies with your carefully constructed (by trial and error) build, but when you're repeatedly fighting the same enemies, when the story falls flat, and the environments blend into one, it starts to get dull and frustrating quickly.

CGMagazine - Justin Wood - 4 / 10

Atlas Fallen is a hard game to recommend. Between janky controls and a really rough-feeling platforming system, it feels like it fights you every step of the way.

Digital Trends - Tomas Franzese - 2 / 5

Atlas Fallen has some ambitious ideas for a game of its scale, but its poor presentation holds back a promising combat system.

GamesHub - Edmond Tran - 2 / 5

Surfing through the beautiful world of Atlas Fallen is nice, but unsatisfying combat struggles to keep you invested.

Try Hard Guides - 4 / 10

Atlas Fallen is a game that wants to be so many things, but fails to be any of them. It wants to be the next epic fantasy universe, but lacks the originality or compelling writing to do so. It wants to be an action game akin to its inspirations, but can’t quite deliver on the mechanics it’s inspired by. It wants to be an amazing piece of visual art, but delivers stunning vistas alongside jilted animations and boring enemy designs. It’s a game with deceptive marketing, showing off an inaccurate portrayal of the experience ahead, and one that feels like it had too many teams working on it at once. Unfortunately, it’s also one you should probably give a wide berth.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

Atlas Fallen has a lot going for it, with a beautiful world filled with things to do. Its narrative and characters have some issues, but the combat and freedom offered within its world are excellent.

Kotaku - Ethan Gach - Unscored

Deck13’s latest can’t get off the ground. Like the sandy ruins filling its world, the best parts of Atlas Fallen feel buried beneath the same open-world junk you’ve already done in a bunch of other games.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Ed Thorn - Unscored

An action adventure with endearing six-out-of-ten jank, carried by weighty combat with heaps of style and customisation.

6 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Huh, reviews are bit middling so far.  I was really hoping to champion this game as what Forspoken should have been, but maybe not. :(

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Seems like a real good "grab on sale" game.

That's pretty much where I'm landing as well.  Nothing in the reviews makes it seem "bad" per se, but rather as a "decent discount" pickup much like their previous efforts with The Surge series.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Atlas Fallen (ARPG from "The Surge" developers, PC/Xbox Series/PS5) - reviews from OpenCritic posted