UPDATE: Also Ads; Under NYT ownership, staff of sports site The Athletic will not be allowed to comment publicly on politics

The-Athletic-logo.png
DEFECTOR.COM

As one Athletic staff member told Defector succinctly, "This makes no sense."

A memo from cofounder Alex Mather said that The Athletic would operate "as a standalone editorial unit, separate from the newsroom of The New York Times." Six months later, this promise is already being broken.

As of June 8, that has changed. In a meeting last week addressing editorial changes including the new mandate, Chief Content Officer Paul Fichtenbaum acknowledged the no-politics policy was a "departure" from previous operating guidelines. He stated that in accordance with the new policy, staff members should not express their political beliefs on social media or any platform.

NYT being losers again. Hopefully they lose subscriptions due to this acquisition. 

As of June 8, that has changed. In a meeting last week addressing editorial changes including the new mandate, Chief Content Officer Paul Fichtenbaum acknowledged the no-politics policy was a “departure” from previous operating guidelines. He stated that in accordance with the new policy, staff members should not express their political beliefs on social media or any platform. In giving an example about what would count as political, he said:

We don’t want to stop people from having a voice and raising their voice for appropriate issues. But there comes a point where something that is a straightforward, “Hey, I’m concerned about guns in America,” for instance, right, that’s an apolitical statement. It becomes political when you say, “I’m concerned about guns in America and this political party is the reason why we’re having an issue,” right? That’s when it tips over. So again, we don’t want to stop people from having a voice and expressing themselves. We just need to keep it from tipping over into the political space.

The Athletic Chief Content Officer Paul Fichtenbaum

The vast gray area between and outside of these two silly hypothetical statements went unaddressed, as did the question of who gets to decide what counts as the “political space.” In response to a question from a staffer seeking clarification on this question, Fichtenbaum said, “I don’t personally view matters of race as politics. Again, like, it could become a matter of politics if it goes that way. But on its own, I don’t think that race is a political thing in what we’re talking about.”

I've been subscribed to The Athletic for the past several years because it really is great sports writing. But I feel like this could really hamper some of their longer investigative and historical pieces. That will be fucking lame.

I don’t want political coverage in my sports section,

except where directly relevant to the sports themselves,

which turns out is very often.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t want political coverage in my sports section,

except where directly relevant to the sports themselves,

which turns out is very often.

The issue isn't politics inside articles (which, though it doesn't happen as often, still should be allowed in the sense of political movements within sports, such as kneeling for the anthem, etc), but rather in other areas such as social media:

in accordance with the new policy, staff members should not express their political beliefs on social media or any platform. 

• GeneticBlueprint changed the title to UPDATE: Also Ads; Under NYT ownership, staff of sports site The Athletic will not be allowed to comment publicly on politics