What are some likes/dislikes from different streaming platforms?

I'm talking strictly from a mechanical perspective, not a content perspective.

HBO Max - why do they not have an algorithmic recommendation system? I watch Last Week Tonight every week. If an episode came out last night, why is it not literally the first thing I see when I log in? Hell, it's not even on the front page, I have to search for it. It bugs the shit out of me every time.

Amazon - I love "x-ray." I get really distracted by thoughts of "where in the shit do I know that actor from?" all the time. On Amazon, all you have to do is pause the show/movie and it literally has who that actor is and their IMDB credits right there. Everyone should do that.

All platforms - Why in the shit is there no option, on any platform, to at least have the option of hiding things that I've already seen before while I'm browsing? In what way does it help engagement to flash 50 things at me that I've already watched before I find something I haven't? YouTube figured this out a long time ago. It won't recommend videos to you that you've already seen unless it's been a long time since the last time you watched it. And if you have already seen a video, it'll have that little red bar at the bottom that shows you that you've seen it. All of these streaming services are tracking what you watch all the time, it shouldn't be hard to implement a feature where I can also choose what to do with that information.

24 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Is it in the trivia or something? How do they do that?

A central mystery of that movie involves a murder being committed by a hooded/disguised character. Pause the movie when that’s happening (and it’s shown several times) and as part of that handy “shows you the actors in the scene” thing, it lists the actor/character doing the murdering, long before it’s revealed. 

This was like 6 years ago though, maybe they’re smarter about that kind of thing now. 

• Halal 1

24 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

A central mystery of that movie involves a murder being committed by a hooded/disguised character. Pause the movie when that’s happening (and it’s shown several times) and as part of that handy “shows you the actors in the scene” thing, it lists the actor/character doing the murdering, long before it’s revealed. 

This was like 6 years ago though, maybe they’re smarter about that kind of thing now. 

Interesting. I haven't seen that movie since it came out, but I can see how that could be a problem.

I have noticed in some things on Amazon that it's not necessarily ONLY showing the actors that are on-screen at the time. Maybe that's how they deal with it.

Netflix

When a show starts you have the option to press a button to skip the intro. However, when the show is over you have to CHOOSE to watch the credits otherwise it automatically skips them. I want to watch the credits and would like an option to toggle this off or they need to change the end to be more like the beginning. I use it on my Xbox controller and I have to scramble to turn on the controller so I can select to watch the credits.

37 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Netflix

When a show starts you have the option to press a button to skip the intro. However, when the show is over you have to CHOOSE to watch the credits otherwise it automatically skips them. I want to watch the credits and would like an option to toggle this off or they need to change the end to be more like the beginning. I use it on my Xbox controller and I have to scramble to turn on the controller so I can select to watch the credits.

I kind of think more options that are just toggle-able in general would be good for all of these streaming services. I can't remember which service it was, but there is one that I had to actually google how to turn off auto-play, because turning it off was completely unintuitive. It was because I had a TV show that I would watch while I was going to bed, so I would wake up to find that 7 episodes had played while I was asleep and I had no idea where I left off.

The front end of all of these services suck.

I'm praying that eventually we will get to the point where we don't need to use these apps at all anymore, and we can use our own players. Why can't I just download my favorite media player and plug in all my subscriptions so I have everything in one place?

The way it is now is a hot mess and it only gets worse and worse as more and more services get introduced.

• True 2

It’s either Hulu or peacock where I have this problem. I open the app and it shows me a “continue watching” section. The show I want is right there but I want to watch a different episode. But if I click on the show it just starts playing that episode with no option to do anything else. And the show magically doesn’t show up in any of the other lists suddenly. So I end up having to go back to the search bar and type in the show. 

I kind of like the simplicity of HBO Max. I feel like the algorithm doesnt get in my way. Like it’s too dumb to recommend me something. Its just good at showing me the latest releases.

Netflix is the only one that just works without at least one major weird issue. Other than that X-ray is great, but generally I'd say actively thinking about the interface means there's a problem with the interface. 

I've said it once, I've said it a million times over!

SHUDDER

3 separate LIVE channels that are always on showcasing a variant sub-genre of horror. Why literally no other streaming platforms have such a thing incorporated into their interface which shows off even just "What's trending"/"Original production"/"Top Fan Content" or something like that is absurd to me.

Paramount+

This whole UI needs to be overhauled because it just sucks. You have to scroll through dozens, if not hundreds of movies instead of an option for "Movies that start with A, B, C.." just makes for one hell of a jumbled mess.