What's your reaction when someone dies that you don't like?

Fizzzzle

The other day I found out someone I knew back home died. He was found dead in his apartment on Thursday. Cause of death unknown as far as I'm aware, though I never knew him to be a big drug user.

The reason for this post... I didn't fucking like the guy. One of my last interactions with him was kind of threatening to kick his ass because a friend of mine accused him of raping someone (I don't know if he did or not, it's a he said/she said thing) and he pretty much avoided me after that.

My friend told me he died, and my reaction was like "that sucks, but I'm not going to pretend to cry about it." Then that made me feel like an asshole. Then I realized I was somehow making the death of someone else about me, which is narcissistic. But then I thought, is it okay to hear someone died and go "... Huh, whatever" and move on with your day?

Also maybe he had a fucking aneurysm or something, which could happen to any of us at any time, so... Things to keep you up at night for $500, Alex.

For someone as you described, I won't really care about the person that died. My mind will usually think of their family members who have to go through the loss and I'll feel bad for them. If someone is a real asshole or violent, abusive, etc... sometimes its a relief to know they are gone. 

I think indifference. I remember when I was in high school, a guy died in a car accident. He wasn’t a nice person when in school, bullied people I knew and overall seemed unpleasant. I had empathy for his family (his brother was a year younger than me), but I wasn’t moved or impacted by him. 

Indifference but I'll be polite about it. The person would have to be an active threat to the safety or the safety of someone I care about in order for me to feel something stronger than indifference. But even then it would be more like relief than actual joy. But that's just me speculating because I've never actually someone like that in my life die. I might actually feel elated if that were to happen, who knows. I'm certainly not a perfect person, but I'm always working at becoming better.

I typically “like” most people on a superficial level. If you fall into a category of people I don’t like, it is likely because you are some sort of miserable person spreading your misery around. In that sense, I tend to feel pity on that person.

My mother has often said that since I was a baby she felt like I was living in my own world. I didn’t fully understand it until I got older and realized that I am fairly unaffected by adversity, and in truth, thrive in moments that are difficult. When I see how many people become mired in their difficult circumstances, it makes me sad for them. I want them to be able to break free of whatever it is that is leaving them stuck.

So if a person I don’t like has died, I’m genuinely sad their life went the way that it did and hope that maybe it turned around in the time since I last saw them.