Happy MLK appropration day

Today is the day when conservatives all over the country quote one line from MLK's "I have a dream" speech to prove to themselves that they are not racist.

Some More News did a video on the subject today which was good, but here's a particularly good quote from it (the "I have a dream" line from the "I have a dream" speech):

"This is where conservatives seem to stagnate and often jiu-jitsu this one line against efforts to achieve better racial equality and pervert its meaning to further their selfish agenda. They twist a concept that promotes interpersonal respect, community harmony, and genuine equality into one that ignores the impact of history, dismisses the impact of slavery and systemic racism in America, instead promoting myths about meritocracy and the ideal of individualism in order to maintain the accumulated privileges and advantages afforded by white supremacy - all in support of enabling the exploitation allowed by our current system of capitalism."

The great MLK didn't want to keep bringing up race, so why do you keep insisting on it? MLK wanted us to be judged on our character, sillies, he would be so disgusted by the fact that people keep bringing up race today when we clearly are not racist anymore ever since he said that one line in that one speech. .... now back to work.

22 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Today is the day when conservatives White people all over the country quote one line from MLK's "I have a dream" speech to prove to themselves that they are not racist.

32 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Today is the day when conservatives all over the country quote one line from MLK's "I have a dream" speech to prove to themselves that they are not racist.

Some More News did a video on the subject today which was good, but here's a particularly good quote from it (the "I have a dream" line from the "I have a dream" speech):

"This is where conservatives seem to stagnate and often jiu-jitsu this one line against efforts to achieve better racial equality and pervert its meaning to further their selfish agenda. They twist a concept that promotes interpersonal respect, community harmony, and genuine equality into one that ignores the impact of history, dismisses the impact of slavery and systemic racism in America, instead promoting myths about meritocracy and the ideal of individualism in order to maintain the accumulated privileges and advantages afforded by white supremacy - all in support of enabling the exploitation allowed by our current system of capitalism."

The great MLK didn't want to keep bringing up race, so why do you keep insisting on it? MLK wanted us to be judged on our character, sillies, he would be so disgusted by the fact that people keep bringing up race today when we clearly are not racist anymore ever since he said that one line in that one speech. .... now back to work.

I watched that video today as well and thought it was both fantastic and infuriating!

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Fair enough.

I mean, MLK obviously would be opposed to the modern conservative…but he also would not be pleased with the lack of movement by the the Democratic Party when they have the executive and both chambers and get nothing done on issues of justice and race. 

I think this is most clearly expressed in his famous Birmingham Jail letter, but he had quite a few things to say on the issue over the years.

20theoharis-facebookJumbo.jpg?year=2019&
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

“The white moderate” was more of an obstacle than “the Ku Klux Klanner.”

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I mean, MLK obviously would be opposed to the modern conservative…but he also would not be pleased with the lack of movement by the the Democratic Party when they have the executive and both chambers and get nothing done on issues of justice and race. 

I think this is most clearly expressed in his famous Birmingham Jail letter, but he had quite a few things to say on the issue over the years.

20theoharis-facebookJumbo.jpg?year=2019&
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

“The white moderate” was more of an obstacle than “the Ku Klux Klanner.”

Yeah, he basically called out the white liberal for being "outraged by the behavior *against* negroes, but not acting in good faith to make things better *for* negroes" (I probably didn't quote that word for word). He basically was saying things like a lot of white liberals had an attitude of "the Civil Rights act was enough, now shut up."