Take-Two acquires Zynga (FarmVille, Words with Friends) in a deal worth $12.7 billion

SaysWho?

strauss_zelnick_2018_0180_72dpi.jpg
WWW.BUSINESSWIRE.COM

Take-Two Interactive (NASDAQ: TTWO) (the “Company”) and Zynga (NASDAQ: ZNGA), two leaders in interactive and mobile entertainment, today announced tha

"Combining Zynga's expertise in mobile and next-generation platforms with Take-Two's best-in-class capabilities and intellectual property will enable us to further advance our mission to connect the world through games while achieving significant growth and synergies together," said Frank Gibeau, CEO of Zynga. "I am proud of our team's hard work to deliver a strong finish to 2021, with one of the best performances in Zynga's history. We are incredibly excited to have found a partner in Take-Two that shares our commitment to investing in our players, amplifying our creative culture, and generating more value for stockholders. With this transformative transaction, we begin a new journey which will allow us to create even better games, reach larger audiences and achieve significant growth as a leader in the next era of gaming."

• SaysWho? changed the title to Take-Two acquires Zynga (FarmVille, Words with Friends) in a deal worth $12.7 billion

So, will the F2P GTA mobile game be GTA 5, GTA 6, or a whole separate endeavor?

Since I don't have a ton of interest in GTA multiplayer, I might prefer them separating the two. Build GTA 6 as a typical AAA single player game, and then build a separate GTA Online that's free to play across mobile/consoles/etc. Basically what Halo Infinite did, but with mobile. I'm sure that existing GTA Online players don't like the idea of moving to a new game, so maybe the existing GTA 5 Online experience will just evolve into a mobile game.

Not that R* needs Zynga to either build the mobile version or show them how to monetize it.