Nvidia Special Broadcast Event on Tuesday, January 4th at 8am PST for some exciting news in the world of gaming

Brian

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah unfortunately since it’s AMD you don’t get that benefit on the steam deck. We will have fsr, but it’s not nearly as good and by nature of its design will never be as good. It could help some on deck, especially as they improve it, but from what I understand lower resolution scaling is what it’s worst at, so that isn’t great with the 720p target.

From the videos I have seen 4k looks good but below that is ehhh.

46 minutes ago, stepee said:

Kind of ironically its Nvidia themselves with DLSS that provided and spearheaded the type of technology that allows me to care less about a $2000 card that is what now 15% better than a 3080? But to me it used to be all about hard numbers, you needed 1080p/60 and then 4k/60 and if you can’t hit those numbers you can’t hit those numbers so 15% can make or break you. 

Now it’s all more fluid, you have games where you are just choosing a different dlss setting, or using fsr ultra, or it’s using tauu and scale native down to 1800p, or whatever. And with vrr now common place on top of that you don’t need to ALWAYS hit that 60 or maybe you actually tone down the iq and go for 120, or you go half way and get a nice hover of 80-90.

With image reconstruction and vrr it just seems there are so many different ways to present your games in fantastic shape on pc now iq/performance wise that 15% now doesn’t seem like it would mean as much on screen. It’s a change in at least how I perceive things that is actually more relaxed and I’ve enjoyed it.

That said I’ll evga wait list this in case the timing for my number coming up coincides with my settlement!

I feel you. I want more performance but between scalping and only a 10% difference it isn't worth it. If someone is looking for a high end card the 3080x 6800XT and 6800 are the best values.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Oh damn, hold out for a 4xxx series card, your 3080 should be really solid until the end of 2022. 

Oh for sure, normally I’d do that, but around the time my number comes up I might be wanting to splurge a bit extra so this is just in case lol. Definitely will need to upgrade before next year I feel, I don’t believe Nvidia that 10gb of ram isn’t limiting whatsoever and think it will become annoying by 2023.

25 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I watched the recap video from the Verge and noticed that the dude introducing the 3090 Ti says "tie" rather than "tee eye." I had to make sure that wasn't the way everyone in the company says it, so I went back and found founder/CEO Jensen Huang does say "tee eye" at the 2080 TI announcement.

Yup! It was indeed called tee eye when launched as in the periodic descriptor for Titanium. Based on a history of watching these god awful presentations, there appear to be two camps in the Nvidia house. I've heard it said both way through "official" events. As for me, I'm firmly in the "Tee Eye" camp!  

27 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yup! It was indeed called tee eye when launched as in the periodic descriptor for Titanium. Based on a history of watching these god awful presentations, there appear to be two camps in the Nvidia house. I've heard it said both way through "official" events. As for me, I'm firmly in the "Tee Eye" camp!  

I've heard it pronounced both T. I. and Tye as well... T. I. is the correct way and I will die on that hill

They also snuck in a 12gb 3080 that has no msrp today lol. 

haSNgW3WNYzYTEpeuTksKB-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The price tags so far for Nvidia's moderately improved RTX 3080 12GB cards make me want to cry.

There are now 4 cards above the 10gb 3080 even though the top of those which is almost three time as costly has like a 15% improvement. Nvidia is really kicking themselves for releasing the 3080 at $700 msrp and is really confusing and polluting the idea of what a GPU should cost in the process.

Really hope Intel can provide them with some humility but the gpu market is simply fucked until we are far on the other side of the chip shortage. Best thing to do is wait for new releases and get on the evga wait list asap.