I'm Saying it Now, Apple TV

Is the new HBO. They seem to emphasize quality over quantity and I haven't seen an outright "bad" project from them yet. Ted Lasso, The Morning Show and Foundation are all great. Invasion, Servant and The Shrink Next Door are solid and I've heard good things about See, For All Mankind and several other shows. I'm really digging their approach to content and they've quickly become one of my top three streaming services... and I have most of them.

It is true. And get ready for their feature film side to become an awards juggernaut too. They are looking to produce 12 films a year, and like what they are doing in the series side, only with top tier talent and the budgets required to make these things what they need to be.

So far, I have watched the whole first season of Foundation, half of Invasion, all of Ted Lasso and about half of For All Mankind. I watched half of the first episode of Servant before I stopped watching it (and won't go back to it as I found it awful). So far, I've been underwhelmed by Invasion because of really bad, slow writing. Everything else about Apple Plus has been awesome, however.

1 hour ago, brucoe said:

So far, I have watched the whole first season of Foundation, half of Invasion, all of Ted Lasso and about half of For All Mankind. I watched half of the first episode of Servant before I stopped watching it (and won't go back to it as I found it awful). So far, I've been underwhelmed by Invasion because of really bad, slow writing. Everything else about Apple Plus has been awesome, however.

Invasion is definitely slow but I woudn't call it bad writing at all. They really want you to get to know and get invested in the characters so that you care more when shit hits the fan. It's the kind of show that REALLY only works if you binge it though because I probably wouldn't have kept up with it if I watched it week to week. I think they initially released 4 episodes and things really pick up with episode 6. It's paced similarly to Servant. These shows are slow burns and the first season of Sevant works really well. The second? Not so much. 

I'm going to check out SEE, FOR ALL MANKIND, and the Octavia SPencer show that is escaping my memory at the moment next.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm going to check out SEE, FOR ALL MANKIND, and the Octavia SPencer show that is escaping my memory at the moment next.

When starting For All Mankind, do it without learning anything about it (if possible). That's what I did, and it made the experience SO much better than it probably would have been had I understood what they were doing from the start.

Ted Lasso is great, though I'm not sure how much credit Apple gets when it was a Warner production. I've been a big fan of For All Mankind and enjoyed the first season of Foundation.

They're certainly trying to be HBO, but I don't think they're quite there yet.

What they do have is unlimited time and money, at least as long as Tim Cook thinks it's a fun thing to own.

I just wish their app on non-Apple devices wasn't so bad. After HBO Max it's probably the second worst app on my nVidia Shield.

12 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Ted Lasso is great, though I'm not sure how much credit Apple gets when it was a Warner production. I've been a big fan of For All Mankind and enjoyed the first season of Foundation.

They're certainly trying to be HBO, but I don't think they're quite there yet.

What they do have is unlimited time and money, at least as long as Tim Cook thinks it's a fun thing to own.

I just wish their app on non-Apple devices wasn't so bad. After HBO Max it's probably the second worst app on my nVidia Shield.

Hmmm their app has been pretty solid for me on my Roku TV, Xbox, LG and Playstation... same with HBO Max. Worse streaming app for me by far has been Paramount Plus. Audio and Video regularly go out of sync for me on multiple devices. No idea why. I was thinking about starting a topic rating the various streaming services but I don't think too many people here have as many as I do :p

As far as Apple getting credit, Warner may be the production co but Apple picked up the show. You get credit for that in my book. HBO used to have  the golden touch as well until they started passing on shows that later became hits when they lost one of their key execs. They passed on Mad Men, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and Dexter to name a few.