NBA/Professional Basketball OT

Pikachu

16 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I would argue AI is one of the most overrated players of all time. One finals appearance in which he barely made it in an incredibly weak Eastern Conference. Supremely inefficient player. Would be a horrible fit in today's game. 

Hell of a player to watch tho. 

Did you see who was on the Finals team? lol

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Did you see who was on the Finals team? lol

Yes. Could name the squad off the top of my head. 

They beat the Bucks in 7 to get there in one of the most poorly officiated series of all time. Also needed 7 to get past the Raptors. It was just a shit time in the league as far as talent went, and what talent there was was primarily in the Western Conference. 

As always in a sports debate I need context of the person's thoughts who challenges any claim, because I often find when you delve into it most of the time people don't disagree that much and there's just a contextual misunderstanding. 

Iverson was good, at times great. But I feel like if you ask a lot of people "is he a top 10 guard of all time" many if not most will say yes without putting much thought into it. And he just isn't. 

26 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That particular finals was Shaq in his absolute prime and imo the greatest center of all-time. 33.0 points, 15.8 rebounds a game. Well, maybe 2000 finals was Shaq at his VERY best but close enough. 

The thing about the 01 Lakers was Kobe had blossomed into prime kobe. So they had maybe the best and second best players in the league, plus a supporting cast of very smart role players. 

23 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

The thing about the 01 Lakers was Kobe had blossomed into prime kobe. So they had maybe the best and second best players in the league, plus a supporting cast of very smart role players. 

Yes. So the Sixers had absolutely no shot and pulled one out of their assess in game one. Kobe is the one I think is extremely over-rated. He tried so hard to be Mike and it was embarrassing. He just wasn't the athlete Michael was. Not even close. 

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yes. So the Sixers has absolutely no shot and pulled one out of their assess in game one. Kobe is the one I think is extremely over-rated. He tried so hard to be Mike and it was embarrassing. He just wasn't the athlete Michael was. Not even close. 

Kobe is overrated as well. I think many people regard him as like a top 5 player ever, when he's like borderline top 10 IMO. He is very well rated among his peers as well, where a lot of players it's like 1. Michael 2. Kobe. 

But he was leaps and bounds better than Iverson and being in the conversation for top 10 all time... it's harder for me to get too excited about people overrating him haha. Like a lot of people would take Kobe over LeBron and that's insane, but at the end of the day they're separated by like 8 players all time or whatever in my mind, so at some point it doesn't matter. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

Kobe is overrated as well. I think many people regard him as like a top 5 player ever, when he's like borderline top 10 IMO. He is very well rated among his peers as well, where a lot of players it's like 1. Michael 2. Kobe. 

But he was leaps and bounds better than Iverson and being in the conversation for top 10 all time... it's harder for me to get too excited about people overrating him haha. Like a lot of people would take Kobe over LeBron and that's insane, but at the end of the day they're separated by like 8 players all time or whatever in my mind, so at some point it doesn't matter. 

I can't put Kobe in the top 10. He was extremely skilled and had an amazing work ethic and drive, but wasn't particularly gifted physically. LeBron is leagues better than Kobe. I have LeBron permanently sitting at number 2 of all-time.

Nobody will ever be better than Jordan. I have studied that guy my entire life and know his moves inside and out. He is the greatest athlete to ever play in the NBA and then you add in his mental competitiveness disorder and unmatched skills, you have the best ever. 

Just now, best3444 said:

I can't put Kobe in the top 10. He was extremely skilled and had an amazing work ethic and drive, but wasn't particularly gifted physically. LeBron is leagues better than Kobe. I have LeBron permanently sitting at number 2 of all-time.

Nobody will ever be better than Jordan. I have studied that guy my entire life and know his moves inside and out. He is the greatest athlete to ever play in the NBA and then you add in his mental competitiveness disorder and unmatched skills, you have the best ever. 

I've gone through this exercise, and if I could keep him out of the top 10 I would, but when you actually go through the exercise it's tough to keep him out. My list is some form of: 

1. MJ 

2. Lebron 

3. Kareem 

(feel really great about the top 3, I think it's those 3 and everyone else). 

4. Magic

5. Bird 

6. Russel 

7. Wilt 

(That tier is where it becomes tough. You have to start making weird concessions - for instance like Russel wouldn't be a top player in today's game, but in the context of his era you could rank him top 3 overall easy). 

8. Duncan

Then some grouping of Kobe, Hakeem, Shaq, Oscar, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor. Maybe some newer players start to sneak in like Curry, Durant, Giannis, Jokic. 

But after that 8 I listed Kobe could easily be 9 or 10. I don't have the historical context nor obviously did I witness a lot of those older players to really know beyond their raw stats and accolades. But you start listing Kobe's titles, MVP, tons of first and second team all NBAs, etc, and it gets pretty tough to keep him off the top 10. 

40 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I've gone through this exercise, and if I could keep him out of the top 10 I would, but when you actually go through the exercise it's tough to keep him out. My list is some form of: 

1. MJ 

2. Lebron 

3. Kareem 

(feel really great about the top 3, I think it's those 3 and everyone else). 

4. Magic

5. Bird 

6. Russel 

7. Wilt 

(That tier is where it becomes tough. You have to start making weird concessions - for instance like Russel wouldn't be a top player in today's game, but in the context of his era you could rank him top 3 overall easy). 

8. Duncan

Then some grouping of Kobe, Hakeem, Shaq, Oscar, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor. Maybe some newer players start to sneak in like Curry, Durant, Giannis, Jokic. 

But after that 8 I listed Kobe could easily be 9 or 10. I don't have the historical context nor obviously did I witness a lot of those older players to really know beyond their raw stats and accolades. But you start listing Kobe's titles, MVP, tons of first and second team all NBAs, etc, and it gets pretty tough to keep him off the top 10. 

My list is absolutely identical! Kobe did have great longevity for a guy that was injured as mush as he was. I have no issue sneaking him on the top 10.

Actually you forgot a big one. Hakeem Olajuwon. He is in the top 10. 

20 hours ago, best3444 said:

My list is absolutely identical! Kobe did have great longevity for a guy that was injured as mush as he was. I have no issue sneaking him on the top 10.

Actually you forgot a big one. Hakeem Olajuwon. He is in the top 10. 

I didn't forget him. He's in the grouping with Kobe, Shaq, Oscar, etc. 

11 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Jordan is 1. Period. LeBron may have better stats but if I were starting a franchise I would take Kobe over LeBum all day long. 

And this is why Kobe is overrated in general. LeBron outclasses him in just about every metric possible. But Kobe has the macho factor that appeals to so many dudes. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I didn't forget him. He's in the grouping with Kobe, Shaq, Oscar, etc. 

And this is why Kobe is overrated in general. LeBron outclasses him in just about every metric possible. But Kobe has the macho factor that appeals to so many dudes. 

Macho factor has nothing to do with it. Hell I don’t even know what that is. I just prefer his game over Brons. He plays back to the basket better than him, has better quicker handles, can hit threes and no doubt plays better defense. He is all around good af. 

• True 1

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Macho factor has nothing to do with it. Hell I don’t even know what that is. I just prefer his game over Brons. He plays back to the basket better than him, has better quicker handles, can hit threes and no doubt play better defense. He is all around good af. 

Preferring his game, fine. 

LeBron is better back to the basket, he's a better 2 point field goal shooter, 3 point field goal shooter, in his prime was a better defender than Kobe and more diverse defender, all backed up by 20 years of stats for both players. 

LeBron is in a class with Jordan and MAYBE Kareem. There's a clear separation between those 3 and everyone else who has played the game. 

Again, if you just prefer his style of play there's nothing I can say about that. But at this point we have the data and in most categories it's not close between the two players. 

• True 1

Data and stats are for players who have to make their case. Jordan and Kobe pass the eye test. 

the problem with this is that the numbers fucking love Jordan and back up every single thing I’m saying and they are the reason I still hold him as the best. 

That’s the macho thing I’m talking about though. Dudes love them some Kobe. 

(and btw the numbers also love kobe, it’s not as if they suggest he is bad. And as if Lebron fails the eye test haha. It’s just very silly).

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

the problem with this is that the numbers fucking love Jordan and back up every single thing I’m saying and they are the reason I still hold him as the best. 

That’s the macho thing I’m talking about though. Dudes love them some Kobe. 

(and btw the numbers also love kobe, it’s not as if they suggest he is bad. And as if Lebron fails the eye test haha. It’s just very silly).

He’s a glorified Karl Malone. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'm curious what you folks here think about the jump ball situation in the NBA. I think it's lame and they should do what HS and college do for those situations. 

Jump ball is meh. But nothing is more stupid than this new in-season tournament they are introducing this year. 

Jump ball is meh. But nothing is more stupid than this new in-season tournament they are introducing this year. 

Yea, the tournament is just silly stupid. I'm basically over the NBA these days but I'm keeping my eye on Victor Wembanyama. 7'5 guard is freakin scary. 

WWW.ESPN.COM

The 76ers have agreed to trade James Harden, P.J. Tucker and Filip Petrusev to the Clippers in exchange for Marcus Morris, Nic Batum, Robert Covington, KJ Martin, multiple draft picks and a...

Lololol reading that 76ers think they can contend with this roster. Morey is a trash GM. 

The 76ers sent Harden, P.J. Tucker and Filip Petrusev to the Clippers for Marcus Morris, Robert Covington, Nic Batum, KJ Martin, a 2028 unprotected first-round pick, two second-round picks, a 2029 pick swap and an additional first-round pick that will be routed from a third team, sources told ESPN.

Seems like they gave up a lot for a guy who's been in the league for 14 years already.

• True 1

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

To be fair Harden is a trash player/teammate and didn’t leave him much choice. But ya 76er’s ain’t doing much with that roster. 

Morey traded for him after he did the same bullshit to the Rockets and Nets. It’s shocking that anyone trades for this guy. 

• True 1

• 2 weeks later...