Hellraiser Reboot Casts Pinhead

SimpleG

• 2 weeks later...

I’m hearing really good things about this. Comes out this week I believe…

image?q=60&c=sc&poi=%5B980%2C492%5D&w=20
EW.COM

The first reactions to the new 'Hellraiser' movie reboot praise it as a 'gnarly' mix of horror and horniness.

197085.jpeg
COMICBOOKMOVIE.COM

Critics have weighed in with their social media reactions to Hulu's upcoming Hellraiser reboot, and the consensus appears to be that this is a definite return to form for the long-running horror franchise.

I had no idea this was happening, and David Bruckner is a talented filmmaker.  But I won't get my hopes up because 99% of the remakes and legacy sequels/reboots I've seen have been abysmal. 

Also gotta lol at the "twitter reactions" for every movie that comes out now.  "I honestly can't believe that Ant Man got BIG and also SMALL!  Fans and non-fans will have NO CHOICE but to BLAST IN THEIR PANTS and be FOREVER TRANSFORMED by this MASTERPIECE".

On 10/2/2022 at 10:52 PM, Greatoneshere said:

By the writing duo and the director of The Night House, which was surprisingly pretty good, so I have hopes for this.

The Night House is one of the best films that released in 2020. The aesthetic, vibe, performance by Rebecca Hall, just all of it is superb!

• Halal 1

So even though unlike Halloween (2018) and Candyman (2021) which are technically sequels to Halloween (1978) and Candyman (1992) which ignore all their original shitty subsequent sequels, the new Hellraiser is a full reboot by comparison to being a sequel. However, it's a loving reboot and ode to the original two Hellraiser films, so my wife and I first went back and watched Hellraiser (1987) and Hellraiser II: Hellbound (1988) first before watching Hellraiser (2022). Regarding the originals (I consider Hellraiser II basically Hellraiser: Part 2 since Hellraiser ends on a pretty big cliffhanger and Hellraiser II finishes out a lot of the story - Clive Barker wrote the story and executive produced Hellraiser II, and you can tell it's integral, even though not quite as good as the original in some ways), they still hold up great! Hellraiser is actually a pretty "small" film by comparison, it's Hellraiser II that finally shows you Leviathan, Lord of the Labyrinth and the actual awesome matte effects of M.C. Escher backgrounds and architecture. You really can't watch Hellraiser without also watching Hellraiser II pretty much right away. 

As for the new one, the wife and I really liked it! Some reviewers have been saying the psychosexual stuff and extreme pleasure/pain BDSM stuff is toned down, and while the film doesn't explore those aspects in the way Clive Barker's films do, it's most definitely there. Some of the kills in this are actually brutal, this film is still definitely Hellraiser. The cenobite practical suits, effects, and designs are incredibly well done (reminded me of a Guillermo Del Toro joint) and the cenobites in this are more overtly aggressive and exhibit way more agency than the original films, where Pinhead sort of enjoyed playing games with Kirsty rather than really being outright menacing, whereas here the female Pinhead can be very menacing. Overall, The Night House crew did a really good job updating and rebooting Hellraiser and leaving it open for sequels, so I hope this does well enough that we can get more good Hellraiser movies finally. Acting was good, cinematography was well done, etc. 

• Halal 1