Cult of the Lamb (Binding of Isaac meets Animal Crossing) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

Cult of the Lamb casts players in the role of a possessed lamb saved from annihilation by an ominous stranger, and must repay their debt by building a loyal following in his name. Start your own cult in a land of false prophets, venturing out into diverse and mysterious regions to build a loyal community of woodland worshippers and spread your Word to become the one true cult.

Collect and use resources to build new structures, perform dark rituals to appease the gods, and give sermons to reinforce the faith of your flock.

Explore a sprawling, randomly generated world, fight off hordes of enemies and defeat rival cult leaders in order to absorb their power and assert your cult's dominance.

Train your flock and embark on a quest to explore and discover the secrets of five mysterious regions. Cleanse the non-believers, spread enlightenment and perform mystical rituals on the journey to become the mighty lamb god.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1629916514
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Start your own cult in a land of false prophets, venturing out into diverse and mysterious regions to build a loyal community of woodland worshippers and spread your Word to become the one true cult.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Game Information

Game Title: Cult of the Lamb

Platforms:

• PC (Aug 11, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Aug 11, 2022)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Aug 11, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Aug 11, 2022)
  • Xbox One (Aug 11, 2022)
  • Nintendo Switch (Aug 11, 2022)

Developer: Massive Monster

Publisher: Devolver Digital

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 86 average - 94% recommended

Critic Reviews

Digitally Downloaded - 5 / 5

Cult of the Lamb never takes itself too seriously, so it remains fun through its relatively short initial playtime.

GameGrin - 10 / 10

There's something for everyone in Cult of the Lamb, and every mechanic and feature feels well thought out. The game is cute, funny, and fun. Everyone should try it!

GamesHub - 5 / 5

Cult of the Lamb is a unique experience bursting with personality. It looks and sounds gorgeous, and the gameplay loop is engaging, rewarding, and highly enjoyable from start to finish. Sacrifices and rituals to maintain your faith in the game aren’t necessary, given Massive Monster has created such a shining, standout piece of work.

The Beta Network - 10 / 10

Cult of the Lamb is a rare gem that combines a roguelike experience with base building mechanics. This wacky narrative will have you in stitches time and time again, whilst you enjoy adventuring through these beautiful 2.5D landscapes. Managing your own cult is as crazy as it sounds and is very entertaining! This is definitely one to add to your game collection.

TheGamer - 5 / 5

I can easily see Cult of the Lamb becoming one of the next indie darlings, and it would be utterly deserving of the epithet.

Twinfinite - 5 / 5

You can keep your Elden Rings and Horizon Forbidden Wests; I’ll be on my cult farm raising crops and occasionally sacrificing my followers for the rest of the year, as Cult of the Lamb is an easy front runner for Game of the Year.

WellPlayed - 10 / 10

Cult of the Lamb stands as a true masterpiece of not one but two genres. I just couldn't find any issues that got in the way of my enjoyment of its various mechanics, and the love I have for my clan will continue long past the final boss encounter.

AusGamers - 9.8 / 10

There's just so much to learn and find and unlock in your first playthrough, and I'm not sure I even want to get into the prospect of follow-on sessions, armed with the knowledge that wood is your earliest friend and that you really shouldn't build with a hodgepodge sense of <i>whatever</i>, <i>wherever</i>, because I guarantee you it'll come back to bite you in your cute little lamb ass later.

XboxEra - 9.6 / 10

Cult of the Lamb is awesome. The game offers up beautiful visuals, hilarious dialogue, is damned smart and plays like a dream. It is one of the best roguelikes mashed together with one of the best community builders I have ever played.

Explosion Network - 9.5 / 10

I've been keen to play Cult of the Lamb for a long time, and it hasn't disappointed me. The art design, audio and gameplay loop remain satisfying, while the concepts and the base building create enough things to do to round out the gameplay so that I never felt bored. The team at Massive Monster should be proud of their achievements, and I cannot wait to see what they create next.

Gamepur - 9.5 / 10

Cult of the Lamb mixes the base-building and economy of Stardew Valley, the combat of Hades, and a heaping dose of Lovecraftian horrors into one of the greatest concoctions of the year.

God is a Geek - 9.5 / 10

Cult of the Lamb combines roguelike gameplay with cult management and I simply couldn't put it down.

But Why Tho? - 9 / 10

It is very difficult to imagine a player that wouldn’t enjoy Cult of the Lamb. Its visuals are so beautiful and full of character. Its writing is witty and charming. Its action is simple, but fun and thoroughly engaging. While its weapon selection and combat mechanics may not be as varied or dense as its peers, its unique aspects more than make up for the deficit.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 9 / 10

Cult of the Lamb successfully mixes different genres and inspirations, creating a unique cocktail that, we are sure, will make many happy.

Game Revolution - 9 / 10

It’s tough enough to make a game that targets one genre, let alone two, but rather than a lamb to the slaughter, Cult of the Lamb commands ownership of both with a hellish ambition that sees it become one of the best games of the year.

GameSpew - 9 / 10

Cute but morbid, Cult of the Lamb quickly won us over with its varied gameplay and, many hours later, still has its hooks in us. It’s not very often that a game has you sacrificing new friends to a demon, but then Cult of the Lamb isn’t like anything else we’ve ever played. Its town building gameplay works seamlessly alongside its roguelite combat, both keeping you absorbed in their own ways. This is innovative indie gaming at its finest, and we can’t get enough.

GameSpot - 9 / 10

Cult of the Lamb merges the best parts of a rogue-like with all the charms of a real-time simulation game in a delightfully macabre ceremony you don't want to miss.

GamingTrend - 90 / 100

A top-tier example of what a roguelike can be when combined with a colony sim, Cult of the Lamb is pure addiction. From managing your minions, to slaughtering the bizarre Eldritch gods that dare defy you, Cult of the Lamb has converted me completely.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 90 / 100

Cult of the Lamb combines roguelite and strategic elements, with a dark sense of humor and cartoon characters. The result is a unique game, very fun to play, and full of custom elements and skills to unlock. We found some balancing issues.

Kakuchopurei - 90 / 100

This indie title impresses with its fun simulation aspects, great controls, lovely-if-simple action roguelite portions, and all-around cheekiness of making the act of running your own version of Heaven's Gate look almost endearing.

Lords Of Gaming - 9 / 10

In all, Cult of the Lamb is a fantastic game that perfectly blends two genres. While the combat is simple and there is room for improvement when it comes to level variation, this indie game punches way above its weight. The layers upon layers of mechanics make Cult of the Lamb a dense game with tremendous value at its indie price point.

Marooners' Rock - 9 / 10

Massive Monster's new game Cult of the Lamb made cult-building look so fun.

From cute characters to dark tones. Those looking at the game shouldn't pass on this.

Seasoned Gaming - 9 / 10

I truly believe that Cult of the Lamb is a must-play game of 2022, and you don’t have to be a fan of rogue-lites to enjoy it or to appreciate what makes it unique.

Stevivor - 9 / 10

While your mileage will undoubtedly vary, Cult of the Lamb is an easy recommendation – now excuse me while I get back to vibing to River Boy’s banging soundtrack.

Checkpoint Gaming - 8.5 / 10

Cult of the Lamb doesn't just surprise and delight with its visual prowess and unflinching cultist motifs, it also hooks you with its addictive and adaptive gameplay loop. There's not a dull second as you move through two equally important and varied genres of game that mesh beautifully together to create a unique and captivating experience. A lack of end-game content may disappoint some colony sim fans, though it ultimately does little to sour what is a genuinely novel game that knows exactly what it wants to be.

Destructoid - 8.5 / 10

I’m a big fan of roguelite action games and city builders, but even if you’re on the mild side, Cult of the Lamb is a winning combo. It draws many of the best aspects of those genres, places them in a one-of-a-kind world, and charts its own condensed course.

Dexerto - 8.5 / 10

Reaching that flow-state where the game's many interlocking systems are firing on all cylinders is well worth putting up with any hardships along the way. With proper support moving forward, Cult of the Lamb has all the potential to grow into something truly special from this foundation, much like you can on the journey contained within.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Cult of the Lamb is yet another pleasant surprise from Devolver Digital: the roguelike and social simulation has made handling a cult not only fun and appealing, but adorable as well.

PC Gamer - 82 / 100

Unlike anything else, and able to meld its two disparate halves into something cohesive and satisfying. You won't feel fleeced if you buy this.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5

Cult of the Lamb is a fun and worthwhile experience, just an experience I thought that I'd be able to get over and over again. Though it is cut too short, building a cult full of my favorite animal, crusading through lush environments, and vibing to the art and music is a perfect weekend retreat, even if it doesn't last long enough to convert.

COGconnected - 80 / 100

If you want a roguelite with a sinister twist, you’re in luck. Cult of The Lamb is just the game you’re looking for.

EGM - 4 / 5

Cult of the Lamb is two games in one. Part roguelike, part management sim, neither of the halves feel totally fleshed out on their own, and provide little challenge. Still, the synergy between the two halves is undeniably compelling, and the art style is infectiously adorable, giving you enough reason to play through one more in-game day, and then one more, until you've been awake for an entire out-of-game day, feeling totally brainwashed.

Game Informer - 8 / 10

Running through dungeons and improving my cult compound was satisfying, and I found plenty of enjoyment in Cult of the Lamb as a result, even when I felt more like a ruthless boss than a leader.

Game Rant - 4 / 5

Cult of the Lamb takes the best aspects of the rogue-lite and town-building simulators to deliver a unique experience that enhances both genres.

GameBlast - Portuguese - 8 / 10

Cult of the Lamb combines two genres in a mesmerizing journey. The dungeon exploration moments stand out with their agile and uncomplicated action, while the cult administration is relaxing and with good possibilities — the synergy between the activities makes the game cycle very addictive. Plus, it's hard not to be impressed by the simultaneously cute and macabre atmosphere. The two styles complement each other reasonably well, but alone they prove to be a bit shallow: the game lack variety and more challenge options, which hinders the experience, especially in the final stretches. However, it is undeniable that the concept of the title is creative and unique. In the end, Cult of the Lamb is a pilgrimage worth experiencing.

IGN - 8 / 10

Cult of the Lamb is a wolf of a satisfying base-management game in the sheepish clothing of an approachable action-roguelite.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8 / 10

Although its accessibility causes the interest does not remain as high at the end as in the first hours of gameplay, Cult of the Lamb is one of the most interesting indie games of 2022. Forming the sect to our liking and taking care of the minions is very satisfying.

MonsterVine - 4 / 5

Strong satanic style outweighs nearly everything else even if the gameplay is a bit flat.

Press Start - 8 / 10

Cult of the Lamb is sure to be a homegrown success on the back of its tremendous presentation, which is helped along by captivating notions of cultism and devotion. I just wish there was more of an accord between the game's working parts, which ultimately feels like a game of two individually brilliant halves.

Saving Content - 4 / 5

You’ll reap what you sow as you cultivate a cult following towards you goals. While it has many gameplay elements that are introduced over time, it can get overwhelming. This is a bigger game than it lets on, that said, I enjoyed engaging with everything it had to offer me. Cults have never been cuter, and the art style is a perfect match for the personality with such dark undertones that many will flock to. Cult of the Lamb is every bit successful as a roguelike as it is a colony management sim for a truly rich experience.

Screen Rant - 4 / 5

Cult of the Lamb is a spooky-cute experience worth picking up, even if it can't quite make the final ascent to godhood.

Shacknews - 8 / 10

Cult of the Lamb's unique interplay of game genres is sure to make it a cult classic.

We Got This Covered - 4 / 5

Cult of the Lamb is a Satanic blend of a few genre greats -- the loop of action and settlement management is fueled perpetually by satisfying combat and rewarding unlocks. And it's all adorned with fantastic art direction and music.

GamePro - German - 77 / 100

Cult of the Lamb is a great mix of roguelite and build-up sim, but it remains a bit too shallow

Digital Trends - 3.5 / 5

Cult of the Lamb excels as a darkly comedic management game, though its roguelite component commits some cardinal sins.

cublikefoot - 7 / 10

Cult of the Lamb combines two genres to great effect, with fun roguelike gameplay and plenty of colony sim mechanics to play around with too. That said, each does have its fair share of problems.

TechRaptor - 6.5 / 10

Cult of the Lamb is devoted to a mix of gameplay styles that just doesn't gel. It's an addictive way to spend a dozen hours, but it's nothing worth your worship.

ACG - Buy

Video Review - Quote not available

Entertainium - Loved

Cult of the Lamb’s strength lies in its core formula, giving you great rewards for quick sessions and even better ones if you decide to stick around for even longer. It might leave you dry when it comes to combat, but its management mechanics and adorable aesthetic are sure to please those looking for something more in their next roguelite, making joining this cult a no-brainer for sure.

Eurogamer - Recommended

A desire to please shines throughout this charmer with a hundred moving parts.

Polygon - Unscored

The roguelike action-adventure game Cult of the Lamb wraps the grotesque in a charming little package of characters that look like they could be pulled straight from a children’s story.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

A creative mashup of roguelite and management sim with oodles of character and charm, Cult Of The Lamb is a great (albeit finite) time for players with an evil streak.

SIFTER - Unscored

CULT OF THE LAMB will have you jumping back and forth between base management and roguelite dungeon crawling with such ease and pleasure, you'll definitely see hours disappear as you craft the perfect cult. Each of the systems in this surprisingly packed sandbox game build up slowly, steadily and in no time you'll be racing off to catch some fish, cooking up a hearty meal, cleaning out the latrines, tending to your farms all before church. What is most surprising is how well meshed all these systems are, I never felt while playing that either of the two main components, random dungeon crawling "crusades" and the town simulator base building, ever took over, they kept alternating perfectly.

The Escapist - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Cult of the Lamb (Binding of Isaac meets Animal Crossing) - reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • 1 year later...