Old - Trailer

25 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I haven't seen The Visit, Split was awesome, and Glass was okay/meh. So, we'll see. 

The Visit is actually pretty funny. Not in like a slapstick one-liner kind of way, but it's sort of M. Night Shyamalan making a parody of his own movies, it's pretty good.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Had me going until it looked like it turns into a creature feature at the end, those bore the shit out of me.

I’m guessing (hoping) that’s a misdirect. 

Of course, the real twist is that they’re actually in Philly. 

• Haha 1

I think M. Night has generally learned from his mistakes. After his disastrous The Happening/The Last Airbender/After Earth run, he went back to basics. He financed The Visit himself, and it was pretty good! Split was also a lot of fun. These smaller thrillers are a good lane for him. So I have decently high hopes for this one. 

4 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I think M. Night has generally learned from his mistakes. After his disastrous The Happening/The Last Airbender/After Earth run, he went back to basics. He financed The Visit himself, and it was pretty good! Split was also a lot of fun. These smaller thrillers are a good lane for him. So I have decently high hopes for this one. 

You forgot to add Lady in the Water, then it's The Happening/The Last Airbender/After Earth. I found Glass well made but disappointing. I haven't seen The Visit but Split was great.

33 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

You forgot to add Lady in the Water, then it's The Happening/The Last Airbender/After Earth. I found Glass well made but disappointing. I haven't seen The Visit but Split was great.

I always forget Lady in the Water. :p Haven’t seen it since it first came out.

I guess I tend to include it with The Village in the “interesting failures” phase of his career (some might include Signs as well but I love it), whereas the next three are just straight up terrible. 

49 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I always forget Lady in the Water. :p Haven’t seen it since it first came out.

I guess I tend to include it with The Village in the “interesting failures” phase of his career (some might include Signs as well but I love it), whereas the next three are just straight up terrible. 

Signs and The Village are great films, no caveats required, at least to me. The Sixth Sense/Unbreakable/Signs/The Village is a hell of a run. Deakins' cinematography alone in The Village makes it worth watching.

Lady in the Water was just bad to me though. 

M. Night said years ago he tried to branch out so he wouldn't be known as that guy who made these thrillers with a twist.

He said eventually he realized that's what he's best at and it's okay if people go into an M. Night movie expecting a certain thing and getting it.

I think he's humbler now.

On 5/28/2021 at 12:24 PM, TheLeon said:

Pretty much this. This looks interesting as hell and creepy. 

• 1 month later...

I can see why reviews are all over the place. The movie is all over the place! I completely enjoyed it, but the way I was enjoying it changed throughout the movie, if that makes sense. Sometimes it was so-bad-it’s-good, other times it was legitimately good and compelling. Wild stuff. 

We'll just get this right out of the way: awkward dialogue, too much exposition (really hampers one climactic scene towards the end in particular), inconsistent performances (Krieps owned in Phantom Thread!), all the standard gripes that come with a Shyamalan joint.

But god damn, can the man tell a story with a camera. Endlessly inventive framing that serves the story and brings additional depth on a moment-to-moment basis.

Pig is still my current favorite of the year, but this frequently had me on the verge of tears in a way that never quite did. Love where Shyamalan is right now with his career, and highly anticipating what comes next.

• Thanks 1

It wasn’t perfect but damn was it thought provoking. I saw it last weekend and still can’t stop thinking about it. I can see how it would turn a lot of people off though.

Every other 2021 movie I’ve seen has felt like a 2020 movie that was shelved for a year. Old was actually filmed during the pandemic last year and you can tell. I don’t want to give too much away to those who haven’t seen it, but the themes certainly feel shaped by the pandemic. Considering that everyone is looking for escapism right now and not self-examination, this may be too uncomfortable for some.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 7/28/2021 at 2:20 PM, Zeluge said:

But god damn, can the man tell a story with a camera. Endlessly inventive framing that serves the story and brings additional depth on a moment-to-moment basis.

On 7/29/2021 at 6:12 AM, Kamusha said:

Considering that everyone is looking for escapism right now and not self-examination, this may be too uncomfortable for some.

Agreed with both of these. The lady and I watched it, and I noticed two things:

1. Lots of shots he used looked really good and told a story in themselves. I found myself admiring the camerawork more than usual.

2. This was one hell of a prohibitively depressing movie. Once the bad stuff begins happening, it just. won't. stop. There's not a single moment of levity I can remember; it's such a grim movie. I have no urge to watch it again because it's a little too depressing.

But it's a well made film; it's hard for me to say it's bad because plenty works. But... ugh, that 

Spoiler

woman with the calcium deficiency, FUCK, seeing her like that at the end made me uncomfortable.