Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15

SaysWho?

42 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ah... I have that quest but wasn't planning on doing it this playthrough. I did some other pretty tough space battles though. Are you flying solo or is there backup?

I think there are Crimson Fleet ships out there fighting with me but it's such a cluster fuck and I can't really see what's going on. 

• Haha 1

@Biggie I took a break and I'm playing TLOU 1 remake on PS5. I watched an episode of TLOU on HBO last night and I had such an urge to play it. It's beyond remarkable.

I'll have the TLOU beat before Friday when I get Spiderman 2.

As for Starfield, I'll have to get back to it eventually. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

@Biggie I took a break and I'm playing TLOU 1 remake on PS5. I watched an episode of TLOU on HBO last night and I had such an urge to play it. It's beyond remarkable.

I'll have the TLOU beat before Friday when I get Spiderman 2.

As for Starfield, I'll have to get back to it eventually. 

I played a couple of hours of Spider-Man 2 and it was amazing. I went back to finish Miles Morales and then I am going to re-start Spidey

• Halal 1

From their "App Formerly Known As Twitter" account:

We've been hard at work on Starfield updates and will be putting our next one into Steam Beta next week.

This update will feature Nvidia DLSS support with frame generation, display and HDR controls for supported systems, and other optimizations and improvements. You'll be able to opt-in to try it via the Steam Beta options. We’d love your feedback before it goes live for all PC and Xbox players after that.

Stay tuned for the specifics soon, and thanks for playing!

As for AMD FSR...

Note, DLSS is for PC Nvidia users only.  We'll also have AMD FSR3 support in a future update.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Starfield - Information Thread, update: Nvidia DLSS support to release for Steam Beta branch next week, AMD FSR3 support in "future update"
1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Ah, so AMD is bad at naming things. :p

They all are. :p 
FSR1: bad “AI” upscale (that’s still used sometimes instead of FSR2 because… reasons?)

FSR2: improved AI upscale

FSR3: frame generation and separate from FSR2

DLSS1: difficult to implement mixed results first gen AI upscale (completely replaced by…)

DLSS2: easy to implement and typically high quality AI upscale 

DLSS3: frame generation and completely separate from DLSS2

DLSS3.5: Ray(Tracing)-Reconstructing via AI and completely separate from DLSS2 and DLSS3

• Sicko 1

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

They all are. :p 
FSR1: bad “AI” upscale (that’s still used sometimes instead of FSR2 because… reasons?)

FSR2: improved AI upscale

FSR3: frame generation and separate from FSR2

DLSS1: difficult to implement mixed results first gen AI upscale (completely replaced by…)

DLSS2: easy to implement and typically high quality AI upscale 

DLSS3: frame generation and completely separate from DLSS2

DLSS3.5: Ray(Tracing)-Reconstructing via AI and completely separate from DLSS2 and DLSS3

None of the FSR implementations are AI driven, at least not in the way DLSS or XESS are with neural networks.

FSR1 is mostly about edge sharpening.  Some swear by it on the Deck's screen, and Nintendo has had limited success with it in on Switch (ToTK, Switch Sports).  I'd still rather run a game at native.

But even FSR1's look is preferable to some of the FSR2 implementations on consoles lately, looking like artifacted messes by reconstructing from too low resolutions.  There's some real growing pains with UE5 games especially.

4 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

None of the FSR implementations are AI driven, at least not in the way DLSS or XESS are with neural networks.

FSR1 is mostly about edge sharpening.  Some swear by it on the Deck's screen, and Nintendo has had limited success with it in on Switch (ToTK, Switch Sports).  I'd still rather run a game at native.

But even FSR1's look is preferable to some of the FSR2 implementations on consoles lately, looking like artifacted messes by reconstructing from too low resolutions.  There's some real growing pains with UE5 games especially.

FSR1 and 2 use AI in the sense of that it's being done through an algorithm, it's just not hardware based or "AI" in the truest sense (I mean, neither are technically AI).

38 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

FSR1 and 2 use AI in the sense of that it's being done through an algorithm, it's just not hardware based or "AI" in the truest sense (I mean, neither are technically AI).

Technically, AMD employees a warehouse full of workers in China that do upscaling calculations in real time with abacuses. :p

• True 1

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Alex Battaglia tests the new beta version of Starfield on PC, showing off improvements to HDR and CPU performance plus …

I think it's fair to say that Starfield launched in a poor state on PC in September, with no official DLSS or XeSS upscaling support, no HDR controls, an underwhelming graphics menu and weirdly poor performance - especially on Nvidia and Intel graphics cards. The latest Starfield beta on Steam looks to address a number of these issues, so we tested out the new version to see how the game has changed.

One of the biggest changes for Nvidia graphics cards owners is the official inclusion of DLSS 2 and DLSS 3, for image reconstruction and frame generation respectively. Weirdly, while DLSS uses Nvidia's preferred nomenclature (quality, balanced, performance), FSR upscaling still uses a percentage-based resolution slider which feels a little unintituive for casual users.

DLSS here performs as well as it did in the community mods available soon after the game was released, but as always it's more convenient (and likely more stable) to have these options built-in. FSR 2 quality has also improved, with less ghosting in some scenarios like ejected shell casings from your weapon, though it is still more artefact-prone than DLSS overall. It would be nice to see XeSS also added, as this is another cross-platform solution like FSR that sometimes offers fewer artefacts in motion - and mods already exist to add it to the game.

All told, the Starfield beta patch is a huge step forward for the game on PC, with the improved CPU performance being a particularly impressive turnaround that will see many more people operating at 60fps than before, while GPU performance uplifts for Nvidia users especially are also game-changing. The user experience is also significantly improved through the inclusion of DLSS upscaling, DLSS frame generation and controls for HDR and FOV.

However, it's clear that more work needs to be done for Starfield to be in a truly satisfactory state on PC. The game's HDR implementation still pales against community efforts, while traversal stutter remains a bugbear and Intel GPU performance also seems subpar. These all feel like solveable challenges, so I hope we see Bethesda continue to polish and improve the game over time.