Steven Spielberg's West Side Story - In theaters 12/10/21

13 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I think it's crazy that all of the directors that we grew up with who basically ushered in "New Hollywood" (however you want to define that) and then defined modern filmmaking - Steven Spielberg (75), Francis Ford Coppola (82), Martin Scorsese (79), Wolfgang Petersen (80), Ridley Scott (84), Clint Eastwood (91), and Brian De Palma (81), among a few others, are all getting to the "retirement or death" ages.

You can definitely see a huge shift in the way movies were produced, written, and edited starting in the late 60's, but really getting into full swing by the mid-70's, when all of those directors were starting to get big projects. My favorite example is to watch "A Bridge Too Far," which came out in 1977. It was directed by Richard Attenborough, and when you watch it, it feels old. It feels like the product of another time. The way shots are composed, the way people talk, the way they move. All of it kind of feels "off." Then you watch The Deer Hunter, which came out only a year later, and it feels like that movie could have came out last Tuesday.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll see this eventually.

Man I love A Bridge Too Far. The Redford scene is probably my favorite. And what a great soundtrack. 

• 1 month later...

Good news for those who missed this one in theaters. And great news for me because I can’t wait to revisit this magical piece of filmmaking.

I told my friend last month that this was gonna totally be on Disney+. Musicals seem to perform very well on the surface. While not enough people saw it in theaters, I think it will have a healthy second life on steaming similar to what Encanto is experiencing.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Komusha said:

It’s now on both Disney+ and HBO Max, so no excuses. I rewatched it last night and it only increased my love for this movie. It makes me feel so alive.

Thanks for the reminder. I tried to catch a screening of this back in December and it didn’t work out.

Spielberg at 75 has more energy in his blocking than most directors in their 30s. I hate that we will have to wait for him to die before the academic view on Spielberg turns to properly regard him as the absolute top notch filmmaker he is. People still act like he is somehow a lesser filmmaker because he was also great at popcorn spectacle.

The fact is, few if any filmmakers have the range of Spielberg. 

I'm truly excited to hear what y'all think. If you are a fan of Spielberg's blocking then this movie is unreal. Wait till you see his version of America. It has the energy and excitement of an Indiana Jones movie action scene. The camera glides and dances along with the dancers. It's truly spectacular to see. I'm just in awe of the whole damn thing.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:31 AM, Komusha said:

It’s now on both Disney+ and HBO Max, so no excuses. I rewatched it last night and it only increased my love for this movie. It makes me feel so alive.

What’s funny is that this shot didn’t stick out to me at all when I watched the movie, because the whole damn thing looks like that. It’s visually astonishing. 

On 3/4/2022 at 1:56 PM, TheLeon said:

What’s funny is that this shot didn’t stick out to me at all when I watched the movie, because the whole damn thing looks like that. It’s visually astonishing. 

Maybe I'm going crazy, but that's exactly what I said in the tweet from me that you quoted :p

The thing about Spielberg is many of his shots seems showy outside of the context of the movie, but within the context they don't. He just always picks the exact correct shot to convey whatever emotion or information he's trying to get across. So while the clips may seem mind blowing on its own, within the movie it feels completely natural and doesn't call attention to itself at all. I think this is why it's easy for him to be undervalued because he never comes across as showy.

46 minutes ago, Komusha said:

Maybe I'm going crazy, but that's exactly what I said in the tweet from me that you quoted :p

The thing about Spielberg is many of his shots seems showy outside of the context of the movie, but within the context they don't. He just always picks the exact correct shot to convey whatever emotion or information he's trying to get across. So while the clips may seem mind blowing on its own, within the movie it feels completely natural and doesn't call attention to itself at all. I think this is why it's easy for him to be undervalued because he never comes across as showy.

Sorry, not trying to gaslight you. My brain can’t read tweets correctly (my only interaction with Twitter is when things are posted here) and only saw the bit you quoted, not what you wrote. 

i thought it was pretty good. i’ve never seen the original west side story so i have nothing to compare it to. 

i thought the romance was pretty weak and they didn’t have great chemistry. i blame ansel elgort tbh. and i get it’s a romeo and juliet thing 

Spoiler

and i get the logic of it with tybalt in the play but it’s still hilarious she wants to be with him after murdering her brother 

5 hours ago, johnny said:

i thought it was pretty good. i’ve never seen the original west side story so i have nothing to compare it to. 

i thought the romance was pretty weak and they didn’t have great chemistry. i blame ansel elgort tbh. and i get it’s a romeo and juliet thing 

Hide contents

and i get the logic of it with tybalt in the play but it’s still hilarious she wants to be with him after murdering her brother 

I thought their chemistry was great. So many movies feel sexless but they were appropriately horny. Ziegler pulls more weight than Elgort but honestly he’s solid in the movie.

Spoiler

She is mad at him for what he did but doesn’t want to lose them both in one night. So she won’t let go of Tony.

On 3/6/2022 at 10:22 AM, TheLeon said:

Sorry, not trying to gaslight you. My brain can’t read tweets correctly (my only interaction with Twitter is when things are posted here) and only saw the bit you quoted, not what you wrote. 

You’re good! I think I was more confused as to why sblfilms upvoted your post which essentially rewords my tweet. Maybe yours was better worded or he just likes you better. Truly confused here lol

• 2 weeks later...