Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (13 June 2024) - US and Ukraine sign bilateral security agreement for long-term supply and cooperation

Last night Ukraine appears to have launched a major drone and missile strike on Russia's largest port in the Black Sea, Novorossiysk:

IE2c6g4.png

Appears to be at least 35 explosions and no air defense of any kind. So far confirmed that they hit the massive fuel export depot, at least 3+ oil bunkers destroyed. There is a good chance this will severely hinder Russia's oil export through this port. The refineries in Novorossiysk and Tuapse were also hit (same region). Separately, drone attacks took place against the Belgorod region of Russia, also targeting oil infrastructure. It appears Ukraine is ignoring the American directive of leaving oil infrastructure alone.

• Ukraine 1

9 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Kyiv is learning the hard lesson that so very many all others over the world have learned over the years (especially the Kurds):

The United States of America simply cannot be trusted.

unfortunately there are also teaching another lesson to the rest of the world, don't ever give up your nukes

• True 1
  • Halal 1

22 minutes ago, elbobo said:

unfortunately there are also teaching another lesson to the rest of the world, don't ever give up your nukes

I keep seeing this, but the hard reality is Ukraine never had nukes. 

There were weapons on their territory. But the Ukrainian authorities never had the permissive action links needed to control them. They were Russia's nukes all along. And acting otherwise would have gotten Russia AND the US to invade and forcibly do a Project Sapphire on Ukraine. 

3 hours ago, CayceG said:

I keep seeing this, but the hard reality is Ukraine never had nukes. 

There were weapons on their territory. But the Ukrainian authorities never had the permissive action links needed to control them. They were Russia's nukes all along. And acting otherwise would have gotten Russia AND the US to invade and forcibly do a Project Sapphire on Ukraine. 

I'm sure in 20 years they could have figured out a way to make them functional 

I'm assuming Ukraine had enough scientists and engineers left over from the Soviet Union times to create their own independent nuclear weapons program.  They also would have had the material to do so.  There simply wasn't the urge to take on something like that, given the Budapest Memorandum they had just signed with the US and Russia. 

In a bit of good news for Ukraine:

WWW.BBC.COM

Oleksandr Usyk beats Tyson Fury on points in Saudi Arabia to become the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.

Tyson Fury suffered a split-decision points defeat on a dramatic night in Saudi Arabia as Oleksandr Usyk became boxing's first four-belt undisputed heavyweight champion.

On a grand stage and on a legacy-defining night, Briton Fury began well but was given a standing count and saved by the bell after an Usyk onslaught in the ninth round.

In a tense wait for the scorecards to be read out, Fury appeared convinced of victory before a stony-faced Usyk broke down in tears when he was confirmed as the winner.

The scorecards read 115-112 and 114-113 for the Ukrainian, with a third judge scoring it 114-113 to Fury.

It meant Fury, 35, lost for the first time in a 16-year professional career. He will get an immediate opportunity for revenge with a rematch planned for later this year.

"I believe he won a few of the rounds, but I won the majority," a defiant Fury said in the ring.

"His country is at war, so people are siding with the country at war. Make no mistake, I won that fight in my opinion."

He added: "It was one of the daftest decisions in boxing. I'll be back."

Usyk takes the WBC belt from Fury, to add to his WBA, WBO and IBF collection.

The 37-year-old remains unbeaten and is the first boxer in almost 25 years to stand tall as the sport's sole heavyweight world champion.

"Thank you so much to my team. It's a big opportunity for my family, for me, for my country. It's a great time, it's a great day," Usyk said.

"I am ready for a rematch."

• Ukraine 2

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (22 May 2024) - UK: China now supplying weapons to Russia for use in Ukraine

A few things in the last couple of days:

• Russia has announced internally that they are going to unilaterally change their maritime borders/zones as they related to Finland, the Baltics, etc. Basically saying they are now claiming some waters that currently belong to those countries
  • Last night Russia's border guard removed buoys on the Narva River denoting the border between Russia and Estonia
  • Russia launched a major missile attack on Kharkiv, killing 7 civilians and destroying infrastructure
  • Ukraine has used ATACMs in at least 2 strikes to take out S-400 air defense systems in different regions

Russian channels are reporting that Ukraine utilized HIMARS to strike a grouping of Russian soldiers in occupied Kreminna front that were gathered for a speech by a regional commander. Reportedly over 100 soldiers were killed, with hundreds more wounded. They had been stationary for hours near the active border, waiting for the commander to appear for the speech.

• Ukraine 1

40 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Russian channels are reporting that Ukraine utilized HIMARS to strike a grouping of Russian soldiers in occupied Kreminna front that were gathered for a speech by a regional commander. Reportedly over 100 soldiers were killed, with hundreds more wounded. They had been stationary for hours near the active border, waiting for the commander to appear for the speech.

It could have been a zoom meeting.  Shit, it could have been an email!

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I’d hate to be on the crew that has to clean that shit up. Jeez

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

A few things in the last couple of days:

• Russia has announced internally that they are going to unilaterally change their maritime borders/zones as they related to Finland, the Baltics, etc. Basically saying they are now claiming some waters that currently belong to those countries

This was also almost immediately rolled back. No one's still sure what the point or purpose of this was. 

• Halal 1

US must have provided quite a few ATACMs to Ukraine, because there's video today of 10+ being launched at once towards Crimea. Crimea is being hit right now in a few places, multiple ground impacts at air force bases.

EDIT - Ukrainian drones now approaching Crimea as well. Ukraine has either stockpiled a bunch of stuff, or now has the capability to launch large strikes every few days using homemade drones. I know their goal was to get up to something like 40,000 new drones per year locally, including long-range drones.

WWW.REUTERS.COM

ojja7l2.png

How generous of him! "After taking 20% of your country and killing hundreds of thousands of people and kidnapping over a million children, I think it's only fair to stop the conflict on the terms we want at the current point. Oh, you've noticed that we've continued building up our forces on your border after the cease fire? Merely a coincidence as we are planning exercises."

Obviously any decision on a settlement should be left to Kyiv. There is a chance the Ukrainian people would prefer to give up what has been taken in exchange for avoiding a draft, and other defense considerations. If Ukraine were allowed entry into NATO, etc, etc. Obviously Putin wouldn't agree to that, and I am doubtful the Ukrainian population is quite there yet.

Breaking rule for awesome video of ATACMs taking out an S-400 system. Just a warning that there is loud obnoxious music:

Lots of ATACMs strikes on Russian anti-air recently, which seems unable to stop it. This is great because each one removed makes further strikes easier. Also likely trying to clear as many away before Ukraine's new jets show up. Also helps with Ukraine's increasing drone strikes into Russia.

• Ukraine 3

Some interesting findings about weapons:

nPczCCy.png

Some weapons are working better than others against GPS/EW jamming. Storm Shadows are great as they also have internal terrain maps if GPS is down. Air-dropped small-diameter bombs work well, but the ground-launched version doesn't.

The US should develop a system of satellite-based laser guidance systems, if we’re not already. This is definitely a new era of warfare. Drones, jammers, cyber attacks - it’s pretty clear to me that future conflicts will heavily involve space-based assets.

2 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

The US should develop a system of satellite-based laser guidance systems, if we’re not already. This is definitely a new era of warfare. Drones, jammers, cyber attacks - it’s pretty clear to me that future conflicts will heavily involve space-based assets.

I think the future is Ai, upload pictures of target weapon systems along with terrain mapping to find where they are and no satellites required,just launch them at your enemies and let them hunt, just don't let Tesla do the Ai or else they'd just destroy a bunch fire trucks. 

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

I think the future is Ai, upload pictures of target weapon systems along with terrain mapping to find where they are and no satellites required,just launch them at your enemies and let them hunt, just don't let Tesla do the Ai or else they'd just destroy a bunch fire trucks. 

This will be the return of dazzle camouflage.