Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (20 Apr 2024) - US House passes military aid bill for Ukraine

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Россия invades Україна | UPDATE - Ukraine begins counteroffensive

Statement from Ukraine's general staff:

"Negotiations with Russia in the only form possible today are being conducted by a special Ukrainian delegation, in particular in the south part of the front. 'Negotiations' are taking place successfully. We're waiting for new 'compromises' in the form of 'gestures of goodwill'".

• Sicko 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

Statement from Ukraine's general staff:

"Negotiations with Russia in the only form possible today are being conducted by a special Ukrainian delegation, in particular in the south part of the front. 'Negotiations' are taking place successfully. We're waiting for new 'compromises' in the form of 'gestures of goodwill'".

Cute. 

At this point, it appears that the Russian air force is almost non-existent in southern Ukraine. Ukraine has already destroyed most airfields in the occupied south, and as of a few days ago all aircraft were evacuated from Crimea after special forces strikes (or possibly ATACMS) were becoming more common. So...while Russia continues to have the capability to perform air-launched cruise missile strikes from a distance, they appear to have lost almost all local air support for the front lines.

A member of the Ukrainian government is now saying that Ukraine no longer wants to go through the process of NATO membership status (where you get NATO military guarantee before membership, etc), they want full membership. Claiming that Ukraine currently knows more about modern operational combat than any other European military, and can teach NATO forces.

lol, obviously they know this is not going to happen, but they do have a point—while the US knows what it's like to invade smaller countries, NATO doesn't really have good modern experience on fighting larger countries (or in mismatched situations), while Ukraine does. I mean, at this point Ukraine likely has a top-3 military in the world in terms of combat experience/knowledge (not saying effectiveness).

• Sicko 1

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

A member of the Ukrainian government is now saying that Ukraine no longer wants to go through the process of NATO membership status (where you get NATO military guarantee before membership, etc), they want full membership. Claiming that Ukraine currently knows more about modern operational combat than any other European military, and can teach NATO forces.

lol, obviously they know this is not going to happen, but they do have a point—while the US knows what it's like to invade smaller countries, NATO doesn't really have good modern experience on fighting larger countries (or in mismatched situations), while Ukraine does. I mean, at this point Ukraine likely has a top-3 military in the world in terms of combat experience/knowledge (not saying effectiveness).

As a former marine who did his part during OIF and OEF.

Absolutely this, the guys like me are mostly out of the service now so our combat experience is limited: they have more relevant real world experience on peer vs peer combat than the rest of nato combined.

24 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean they're kinda just putting to use all of what the US has been training them on since Russia swept them aside in 2014.

3 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I mean they're kinda just putting to use all of what the US has been training them on since Russia swept them aside in 2014.

Oh for sure. But it's kind of like if you take training from a judo instructor to better protect yourself, and now a few years later you've fought 18 home intruders off while the instructor is still training in the studio—the trainer knows more than you theoretically, and helped you get to where you are, but you have more practical knowledge/experience.

Coming out of this war, I think Ukraine's outlook towards the US (and also UK) is going to be very positive. Zelenskyy said it well, recently, that "HIMARS" has taken on a new meaning in Ukrainian, as a new term for justice.

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Oh for sure. But it's kind of like if you take training from a judo instructor to better protect yourself, and now a few years later you've fought 18 home intruders off while the instructor is still training in the studio—the trainer knows more than you theoretically, and helped you get to where you are, but you have more practical knowledge/experience.

Coming out of this war, I think Ukraine's outlook towards the US (and also UK) is going to be very positive. Zelenskyy said it well, recently, that "HIMARS" has taken on a new meaning in Ukrainian, as a new term for justice.

Sure, just one change i'd make, its more like your judo instructor is usually invading peoples homes, so hes kinda like this would probably work on me, lol.

I'd also be surprised if the US wasn't directly advising given we're certainly sharing info.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Sure, just one change i'd make, its more like your judo instructor is usually invading peoples homes, so hes kinda like this would probably work on me, lol.

I'd also be surprised if the US was directly advising given we're certainly sharing info.

From what I've heard, the US is definitely helping out in certain ways. For example, they have apparently been not only providing Ukraine with satellite data, but also their interpretation of it (such as officer movement, etc). They then pass this on to Ukraine with a "we didn't tell you this, or what to do with it" attitude. And then obviously there have been NATO AWACS planes flying 24/7 on Ukrainian/Crimean borders, providing what I assume is constant RADAR data to Ukraine.