Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (20 Apr 2024) - US House passes military aid bill for Ukraine

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

I really wonder how accurate these numbers are. But I imagine taking down two AWACS removed a huge amount of early warning coverage from the battlefield and this is the consequence.

Hard to say, but usually the aircraft stuff is pretty accurate. Unfortunately most pilots survive, though I know last week it was confirmed at least one Su-34 pilot did not eject in time.

To put these numbers in perspective, 11 x Su-34 jets is roughly 10% of their fleet. In one week. In the entire war they've lost 25% of their estimated Su-34 jets.

• Ukraine 1

Also, one possibility as to why this is happening is that the recently donated German patriot system was moved right to the southeast front—a theory is that Russia knows it's there, and is actually trying to take it out (while it takes out the jets hunting it).

1 minute ago, CayceG said:

Russia's air force has really always sucked at SEAD. So I'm not surprised here. 

And their leadership is blind enough to just say "okay well 3 jets couldn't take it out, but maybe 7 will..." and keep throwing material at the problem. Obviously this has worked for Russia in the past in terms of men/artillery (throw a million men at an emplacement and eventually the defenders run out of bullets), but it's much harder to do with advanced tech that you can't replace.

23 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

And their leadership is blind enough to just say "okay well 3 jets couldn't take it out, but maybe 7 will..." and keep throwing material at the problem. Obviously this has worked for Russia in the past in terms of men/artillery (throw a million men at an emplacement and eventually the defenders run out of bullets), but it's much harder to do with advanced tech that you can't replace.

So they’re literally copying Zapp Brannigan’s kill bot strategy

48 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think what you're missing here is that they ARE replacing them. 

2023 saw three "batches" of Su-34s delivered to the Air Force. That's roughly 12, and those are from contracts signed back before the war started. They've signed contracts with the factory to produce more in 2024. So there doesn't appear to be a net loss of Fullbacks in the Russian Air Force. In the last three years there's been roughly 24-26 delivered. 

Not the first NATO country to say something similar this week (though in this case just to do training). Is there something going on in the background leading towards "non-NATO" forces being deployed in Ukraine (perhaps to interior positions, or along Belarussian border, etc) to free up more Ukrainian units for combat? Unlikely, I would think.

wCbgQaK.png

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/under-the-right-conditions-canada-open-to-sending-noncombat-troops-to-ukraine-defence-minister-bill/

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (05 Mar 2024) - Ukraine takes out another Russian ship

Russia just attempted to assassinate Zelensky with a ballistic missile, along with the Prime Minister of Greece. They were meeting in Odessa, and Zelenskyy's motorcade was targeted by a missile strike while he was 150m away from the Greek delegation. 

mou0czL.png

• Shocked 1

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (06 Mar 2024) - Russian missile strike attempted against Zelenskyy and Prime Minister of Greece today in Odessa

M75dvaW.png

This follows Macron saying that deployment of French forces to Ukraine is possible if Russia achieves a breakthrough and approaches western Ukraine. I don't actually believe France would do anything, it's possible Poland would act unilaterally outside NATO in very specific circumstances. Either way, it can't be coincidence that multiple leaders are on record in the past week saying that western forces on the ground in Ukraine is possible depending on what Russia does. But what is the goal of these statements? Do deter Russia? 

11 minutes ago, Jason said:
APNEWS.COM

Former President Donald Trump is meeting with Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán, a conservative populist whose crackdowns in Hungary have sparked criticism that he's eroding that...

Probably providing the $90 million for his court bond.

WWW.FT.COM

President Vladimir Putin fires Nikolai Evmenov and replaces him with commander of Northern Fleet following setbacks

Ukrainian officials who confirmed the change in Russia's navy leadership also told the FT that an attack by Ukraine at the weekend had critically damaged two Russian A-50 long-range radar detection planes at an aircraft repair facility in the southern port city of Taganrog.

There was a large drone attack on this aircraft repair facility over the weekend, Ukraine is claiming to have "critically damaged" another two A-50 planes.

13 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:
T.CO

Russia appears on track to produce nearly three times more artillery munitions than the US and Europe, a key advantage ahead of what is expected to be another Russian offensive in Ukraine later this year.

This doesn't surprise me in the least as neither the United States nor Europe has viewed artillery as being a major component of their military doctrines in decades while the Russians can just dust off the old Soviet artillery-dominant doctrine at will.

And finally:

WWW.PRAVDA.COM.UA

Ukraine has undertaken successful attacks on Russian military ships and other Black Sea targets in preparation for a “major operation in Crimea”.

I can't imagine any scenario where Ukraine lands significant number of troops in Crimea. They've pulled off commando raids. 

However, I do believe that if Ukraine managed to enter Crimea at any point in the war, the local population wouldn't be disappointed after the last 10 years of Russian occupation:

tudIvWy.png

10 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Aren't most people who live on Crimea ethnic/linguistically Russian?  I thought that was one of the reasons why the 2014 invasion of the island was such a cakewalk for Russia. 

It's like Brexit. We want out! But not without the previous benefits!

13 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Aren't most people who live on Crimea ethnic/linguistically Russian?  I thought that was one of the reasons why the 2014 invasion of the island was such a cakewalk for Russia. 

People need to get this out of their heads. 

Crimea was linguistically Russian, yes, but the cultural reality there was because life revolved around the Russian military bases on the peninsula. This would be like thinking Okinawa is culturally American. 

And it was a cakewalk in 2014 because of two things: 1. The Russians had absolute and complete surprise, and 2. Ukraine didn't want to resist with force because they wanted to prevent casualties, had hope for a diplomatic resolution, and frankly were caught off guard by the complete and utter betrayal. 

I remember a Ukrainian air base unit marched out to an attacking Russian unit who demanded they surrender the base. The Ukrainians carried the national flag and the unit flag which was the Soviet era flag as a show of the shared history. The Russian soldiers fired live rounds over the marching Ukrainians heads. 

• Thanks 1