Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (30 May 2024) - Biden gives Ukraine permission to strike some targets inside Russia with American weapons

958.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=85
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Civilian volunteers have come forward in large numbers to help the war effort against the Russian invasion

Until this week Daniel Mediakovskyi was a history student in the Ukrainian city of Lviv. Since Sunday, however, he has been sticking rubber bands and plastic tops on to home-made bombs. “It’s practical history. It’s time for this right now,” he explained, loading another molotov cocktail into a crate.

Around him, about a dozen students and young creative professionals stood around a makeshift table. All wore masks and washing-up gloves. Each had a role in a busy production line. The basement bomb factory smelled strongly of petrol and paint remover – two molotov ingredients, along with polystyrene and silver dust.

Mediakovskyi – who is 20 – said his mother had woken him early last Thursday to tell him Russia had invaded Ukraine. “I knew it was going to start. My hands started shaking,” he said.

After spending a day doom-scrolling on social media, he decided he would try to help.

“My parents know I’m volunteering. I haven’t told my granny. She’s worried enough about things already,” he admitted. He acknowledged that a molotov wouldn’t stop the mighty Russian army. But he stressed: “It will break Russian soldiers mentally, and show them they are not welcome here.”

• Ukraine 2

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

He said they’re the indistinguishable not just similar. Pretty big difference!

He isn't correct but leaping to it being clear racism is a stretch. That is my point. There is a good chance he is simply ignorant of their differences in general.

We don't know which means throwing out labels is premature.

Racism is about power. Repeating Russian propaganda regarding Ukrainians is echoing the same justifications that racists use, even if you could argue it's not per se "race"-ism. Maybe it's a different word but it for sure rhymes. You wouldn't believe it was true without believing in the power structure that's propped up by racism in America. 

1 minute ago, Anathema- said:

Racism is about power. Repeating Russian propaganda regarding Ukrainians is echoing the same justifications that racists use, even if you could argue it's not per se "race"-ism. Maybe it's a different word but it for sure rhymes. You wouldn't believe it was true without believing in the power structure that's propped up by racism in America. 

I call it culturism.  I'm pretty sure that's not a real word, but it is a better definition of what is going on here.  

3 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

It's revanchist nationalism. Maybe not exactly White Power but they're chapters from the same book. 

Perhaps. I am just calling out a poor use of terms that really makes the left look like idiots. Just like that pig fat thing from earlier. Also not racism.

Unless the guy was saying racist stuff in the video the action itself is no more than mental warfare.

3 minutes ago, Link200 said:

Perhaps. I am just calling out a poor use of terms that really makes the left look like idiots. Just like that pig fat thing from earlier. Also not racism.

Unless the guy was saying racist stuff in the video the action itself is no more than mental warfare.

Wait, you're saying that rubbing pig fat on bullets intended for Muslims is not racism? Unless I am misunderstanding.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

Islam isn't a race.  Is it racism when South Park makes fun of Catholics or Mormons?  Come on...

The colloquial term of racism has clearly been expanded to include other identifying features besides genetic factors. If someone denied service to people all wearing burkas, the vast majority of people would identify that as racism.

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

The colloquial term of racism has clearly been expanded to include other identifying features besides genetic factors. If someone denied service to people all wearing burkas, the vast majority of people would identify that as racism.

There is no reason to expand the term colloquially when there are plenty of common terms that already define the behavior. 

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Wait, you're saying that rubbing pig fat on bullets intended for Muslims is not racism? Unless I am misunderstanding.

Like @mclumber1 said, Islam is not a race. It is a religion. It is practice by all sorts of races. 

It also isn't a stretch to assume a majority of soldiers that Syria would send over would be Muslims.

The mental warfare with the pig fat could actually save lives on both sides. If Syrians bail out then that is less Syrians and Ukrainians dead. Overall a good thing yes?

3 minutes ago, Chris- said:

There is no reason to expand the term colloquially when there are plenty of common terms that already define the behavior. 

imo it's the pedophilia/ephebophilia argument. Yes, technically denying service to or harassing people wearing burkas isn't racist, it's another form of discrimination. But in modern parlance the use of the word racist to describe the behaviour would be accepted.

1 minute ago, Link200 said:

The mental warfare with the pig fat could actually save lives on both sides. If Syrians bail out then that is less Syrians and Ukrainians dead. Overall a good thing yes?

That's...not a good argument. It's like saying that denying service to Jews is a town is a good thing if it prevents more Jews from coming to the anti-Semitic town so they won't be harassed.

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

That's...not a good argument. It's like saying that denying service to Jews is a town is a good thing if it prevents more Jews from coming to the anti-Semitic town so they won't be harassed.

Not anywhere close.

Last I checked the Jews in your scenario weren't coming into town with guns. This is war.