"Most people living in the United States today—certainly more than half—are not Americans in any meaningful sense of the term."

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

"Most people are worried about x"

"I've never been worried about x, but y"

Rinse and repeat

I think the actual issue is they read it as 

“I’ve never been worried about X, and you shouldn’t either” which is...weird and not what I’ve said. Literally the post that set off this course of discussion concludes with “I get the appeal (of the broad social safety net)”.

7 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I’ve got many millions of dollars in debt. Debt doesn’t stress me. I’m not sure why you guys keep trying to tell me what I should care about.

That's fine, but I'm just trying to explain to you that's not the same as someone that lost their job and it's now getting rejected for other jobs because of poor results on their credit checks or people that are trying to move and are getting rejected for RENTALS because of bad credit. Medical debt is one of the top reasons people file for bankruptcy in this country and that's just wild to me when you consider that medical debt isn't really a thing anywhere else in the world.

On 3/29/2021 at 8:08 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There's no such thing as western civilization it's just a right wing canard

Considering the impact that "Western civilization" has had upon the rest of the world, I doubt very many tears will be shed by the VAST majority of this planet's population at its ultimate demise.